Anyone else disgusted with MoP destro?

90 Undead Warlock
So they're taking our 10 button complex rotation and dumbing it down to 4 buttons with little synergy. Conflag on CD, keep immolate up, spam incinerate, hit soul fire occasionally.

Anyone else pissed about this?

If I wanted to play a stupid rotation like an arcane mage, I'dve rolled one with the other 40% of the warlock population that rerolled for the easy numbers throughout cata.

I know !@#$%ing isn't going to make anything change now, the independent mind's been made up, but I figured there's plenty of players that would like to vent about how our spec has been destroyed. Literally.
There's barely anything left of the destro spec in MoP, just a couple spells with familiar names.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
no. cata destro was a lack luster, try hard version of affliction - its a nuke spec for a reason, these changes are needed. That being said I do agree that at present beta build destro does seem a little basic, but beta is beta.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
I disagree.

Cata Destro is agonizing. I went Demo for PVE after 4.1 because the whole rotation was a headache. Keeping track of timers and cooldowns for every little thing... ugh.

MoP Destro, though I don't have beta yet, appears oversimplified. To a sad point.

HAPPY MEDIUM MUST BE REACHED!
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
First I agree completely with OP, however even just posting on the forums is pointless now cause there will always be the Locks who like this complex current design and those who want it simpler (*cough* roll a mage *cough*)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
If I wanted to shoot fireballs and ignite things I would have rolled a fire mage. I rolled for the dots and demons.
Reply Quote
I wish all the specs stayed as complex as affliction at the beginning of wrath. This way the good players stand out and do more damage, as they should. However all the casuals complained nonstop and that is why the nerf bat keeps getting swung and Blizzard seems to just keep hitting a home run with each spec from time to time.

But yeah, this blows.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
it sounds like they streamlined destro too much~ as long as i can do competitive dps ill be happy though
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
As long as it's functional. Haven't had a chance to test it myself, but seriously... Kinda sick of doing less than everyone else and being the sub optimal choice next to almost every other class.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Thank christ there finally making destro into the nuke spec is supposed to be, having to deal with more DoTs than aff is stupid, and without dispell protection ruins the spec for any real pvp.

Destro is the nuke spec with demon utility.

Demo is nukes and solid demon damage + demon utility spells.

Aff is for dots and demon utility.

Blizzard is just bringing the specs back to where there supposed to be, destro as a DoT spec was an attempt to neuter its burst, but with dispell prot just ruined the spec for pvp.

However there was no reason to remove chaos bolt they should have just made it hit hard.
Edited by Groph on 4/13/2012 12:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
What I'm reading ITT:
1) "I don't want to play an Arcane Mage."
2) "I want Destro to be a nuke spec."
3) "I want all the Lock specs to be complex/complicated."
4) "I want to top the meters."

The fourth one is really a numbers issue. Ideally, no class would be the clear cut best DPS, but, realistically, there's always going to be one spec that's ahead of the others. Currently, we really don't have any DPS issues, if you're not topping the charts you either:
1) Are in a top 100 guild pushing seriously for progression ranks, in which case, "Sorry."
2) You have enough raid DPS that DPS will never be an issue for your raid.
3) The other people are out-playing you.
This is also something which is (presumably) unintentional by the developers and not really a function of our class, but rather of the particular tier's encounter design and partially a numbers issue. This is also something which changes over the course of an expansion, usually ever tier, sometimes less, but often more.
Hell, in Firelands I'd say we had THE best spec in the whole damn game. Now we're somewhere between fifth and tenth, depending on your metric. But even then, you have to look at how closely the specs are ranked, the tenth best DPS spec is within 1 percentile of 8th and 11th, within 2 percentile of 6th, and within 10 percentile of first and eighteenth (frost). Then, on top of that, you have to consider that some fights favor meter padding or forms of DPS that are entirely irrelevant to progression, while others skew the overall score by pandering to certain specs.

The third point is just impractical from Blizzard's standpoint (and where the problems stem from, today). I really don't see why we can't have 1 complex spec, 1 simplistic spec, and then one that's something else entirely.

The second point seems to be getting addressed.

The first point, I think, misses the issue. Again, it's just impractical to have a class that entirely shuns newbies. However, I think we do need things to separate Warlocks from Mages. Otherwise what's the point of playing a Warlock?
I thought it was a good idea to try to simplify Affliction (making dot refreshing MUCH easier with Cata mechanics, see: dot clipping), making our "dot spec" the simplistic one, while Mages have a nuke spec that relatively easy to do "well" with. I think they just missed the ball with Destruction by mucking up it's mechanics in Cataclysm. Instead of a complex nuke spec, we got an awkward spec that casts a lot of mediocre nukes (instead of a few strong ones) and rolls a LOT of dots. They also took the only spec with a fast playstyle and added in a 3 second cast every 15-20 seconds.
Being different certainly should be a concern, but we don't want to make our lives worse just for the sake of being different.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Thank christ there finally making destro into the nuke spec is supposed to be, having to deal with more DoTs than aff is stupid, and without dispell protection ruins the spec for any real pvp.

Demo is nukes and solid demon damage + demon utility spells.

Aff is for dots and demon utility.

Blizzard is just bringing the specs back to where there supposed to be, destro as a DoT spec was an attempt to neuter its burst, but with dispell prot just ruined the spec for pvp.

However there was no reason to remove chaos bolt they should have just made it hit hard.
i will give you a tour for mop destruction:

04/13/2012 12:30 AMPosted by Groph
Thank christ there finally making destro into the nuke spec is supposed to be

no our nukes outside of soulfire hits for NOTHING and soulfire doesnt hit harder than icelance ATM
having to deal with more DoTs than aff is stupid

having at lest 2 dots like woltk destro was pretty nice they were there just to do 5-6% not our whole damage like they did in cata

and without dispell protection ruins the spec for any real pvp.

this will never happend deal with it and hope they nerf dispell cd for 20-30 sec CD

what?, ATM destro is a mediocre nuke spell also pet dependant

sorry but you sir have no idea of what you are talking about. Destro never weren't about hard casting a 4 sec cast time nuke it never was, this is new and it's killing the spec, destro was always about fast and hard nuking spells thats all the deal, and i'm not seeing this in mop im just seeing a 4 sec hard casted spell and a pet dependant spec thats all

i will agree with you with this, but i also will give blizzard that CB was a hard to balance spell it's one of those spells that they are either too powerful or too weak, but they could jsut balance it around the new ember sistem but WHY LET THEM HARD CAST SOULFIRE YEAAAAAAAA. By the moment this spec is half done it's still on work BUT if we don't pressure them and give the devs enough feedback and qq about useless and broken mechanics they will leave this spec in the dust so here is when the community take action, at least im happy to see a every warlocks in beta forum concerning about the spec and posting every day the issues of destruction and giving huge feedback .

in the other hand i see the locks from the warlock forum biting each other and saying " chill dude still early beta" will say this one more time. It could be early beta but if u don't complain don't give feedback and stay quiet in a corner well the devs will do what they do best hit the lock with the nerf bat and broken mechanics hammer and leave us like that for another expantion
Edited by Cuttler on 4/13/2012 3:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Destro never weren't about hard casting a 4 sec cast time nuke it never was

I really don't like a 4 second nuke, either, but you need to look up some Seduce + Soul Fire videos.
Reply Quote
89 Orc Warlock
04/12/2012 09:15 PMPosted by Baalsamael
HAPPY MEDIUM MUST BE REACHED!
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
It would not go so far as disgusted. I will enjoy not having every nub melee running at me for a free kill. All these years of being hard countered have been annoying. I want melee to crap a brick when they see a Destro Lock. I think we need to get to 90 first and see how it plays out. I am almost 86 on the beta so I will get a feel for destructive influence soon. I honestly do not think it will go live in the current over simplified form.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Death Knight
So they're taking our 10 button complex rotation and dumbing it down to 4 buttons with little synergy. Conflag on CD, keep immolate up, spam incinerate, hit soul fire occasionally.

Anyone else pissed about this?

I am not. I don't take pride in my lock having to press as many buttons as possible to just to play a game.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Even as someone who's relatively new to the lock class, I know destro needed some major simplifying. It's just an overcomplicated mess right now. I am a little worried they may have gone to the opposite extreme in MoP, but comparing it to an arcane mage is hyberbolic. A five button rotation is still way ahead of a two button rotation. MoP destro is more analogous to a fire mage that's had the RNG removed. As to whether that's a good thing or not... I'll reserve judgment until I get my beta invite.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warlock
MoP destruction looks fun. You wanted an Easier rotation in pve, you got it. Stop crying.
Reply Quote
89 Orc Warlock
I seriously don't think Warlocks are anywhere or even remotely near done in Beta atm.

Mages look pretty functional, but all three Warlock Specs are broken in the beta and missing several key mechanics, so really you should wait for a few more beta updates before you make any pronouncements.

I think destro should be simpler than it is in cata Imp Soul Fire buff is stupid, using Corruption in a fire spec is Stupid.

But i also think it should not be a clone of a Cata Arcane mage either, nor do think it will be either. Even MoP Arcane Mages are not Cata Arcane Mages. I don't think any class is going to be that simplified.

Reading the descriptions of how Chaotic Energy is supposed to work, at first i assumed Destro's play style would be like a Hunter (Chaotic Energy ~= Focus) but it does not seem to be like that in function, so who knows what Destro is supposed to be.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]