Specific Questions Concerning RP Rules

85 Human Mage
NeX
Hey all. Brand new to the RP scene and looking to get into it with a few friends as we have exhausted the fun out of competitive raiding and pvp. I had a few questions before I sit down and hash out my backstory and history, and I was hoping some experienced ones here could help me.

1. Is it acceptable to play a half human, half high elf? Would have hair grown out to put on the image of being human only as to avoid prejudice from "pureblood"elves. If so, how long would they live, or is there not a standard?

2. I want to include Medivh in my backstory and rp, but only in certain ways such as:
- hearing whispers as I study his journals and teachings.
- hearing warnings as his voice in my head
Is this acceptable?

3. Concerning the New Council of Tirisfal, I wouldn't think it would be okay to actually be a part of it, but to be a voluntary, unofficial enforcer or representative, is this okay?

4. I have read you don't want to be related, best friends, etc of major lore characters, is it acceptable to be a former apprentice of Archmage Antonidas? I assume he had many apprentices along with Jaina.

I may have a few more, but these are the ones fresh on my mind atm. Thanks all.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
04/12/2012 11:04 PMPosted by Elijah
1. Is it acceptable to play a half human, half high elf? Would have hair grown out to put on the image of being human only as to avoid prejudice from "pureblood"elves. If so, how long would they live, or is there not a standard?

Half anything is more likely frowned upon and anything else besides RPing dragons. You may as well roll as a Quel'dorei or just a simple human. Other than that, Half-Elves are not the way to go.

2. I want to include Medivh in my backstory and rp, but only in certain ways such as:
- hearing whispers as I study his journals and teachings.
- hearing warnings as his voice in my head
Is this acceptable?

Just....just no.

A plain, flat, utter no. I'm sorry, this will more like get you raged at more than anything.
3. Concerning the New Council of Tirisfal, I wouldn't think it would be okay to actually be a part of it, but to be a voluntary, unofficial enforcer or representative, is this okay?

I think they got enough enforcers already. There would no no 'volunteers' so to speak. And the representatives would practically be themselves in the flesh....or whats left of it seeing as it's undead.

. I have read you don't want to be related, best friends, etc of major lore characters, is it acceptable to be a former apprentice of Archmage Antonidas? I assume he had many apprentices along with Jaina.

Now, I would say no, but it will depend or someone might have a better answer for this than me. As long as it was -STRICTLY- being a student and not his second or near favorite or just haveing tea and biscuits with him, then there shouldn't be anything wrong with it. Again, as long as he/she was -STRICTLY A STUDENT- and nothing more.

As my last word. Please read the stickies that at the top of this thread, cause right now most of this is shouting Gary/Mary Sue.

Edit:

I'm sorry if all of this insults you in a way, but quite frankly, thats being as honest as I can be. I could be as brutally honest as someone else in World's End Tavern, but I'm not going to.

But something -does- tell me he might swing around at some point.
Edited by Liå on 4/13/2012 12:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I started to answer that in chunks, but overall, I'm just going to say no to pretty much all of it.

This is the best advice I can think to give you:

Since this is your first character, keep it very simple.

Stick to the races on the character screen.

Throw away any thoughts of lore characters. Do not connect yourself to any of them beyond your character admiring them or maybe seeing a lecture they gave.

Create a simple back story. Pick a place to be from (one that easily fits your character and doesn't need a lot of explaining).

Pick a reason why your character started learning magic.

Figure out what your character is doing now. Remember to keep it simple. Is he studying the works of the great mages? Is he doing his own research? Maybe he's looking to study under someone else now or is looking for his own student. He could have enlisted to fight for the alliance.

Find an RP guild suited to your character. This will help you a lot as you will be able to build a story with others, but they'll also help you get a feel for how things work.

Once you've been RPing for awhile, you can get a little more adventurous, but for right now you want to be simple.
Edited by Aumoé on 4/13/2012 1:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
NeX
Thanks to both of you. And no I am not offended or hurt lol, though I appreciate you not being flat out rude, because that is what turns me off to asking questions. This is exactly what I was looking for. I did read the posts, but I wanted to clarify those few things to get a real understanding of how far I can go with stuff.

Pretty sure I understand now. I have seen some things here, mmo-champion, and on wowhead that seemed to clash in my head.

So as far as major lore characters, keep it to "seen afar off and admired" type thing correct?

And to clarify on the Medivh thing. Strictly no on him intervening makes sense. Now is it fine to have my character search for teachings and journals of Medivh and not really include "him" at all? I mainly want to see if your general RP community frowns upon even mentioning big lore characters at all.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
And to clarify on the Medivh thing. Strictly no on him intervening makes sense. Now is it fine to have my character search for teachings and journals of Medivh and not really include "him" at all? I mainly want to see if your general RP community frowns upon even mentioning big lore characters at all.

There hasn't been anything about any RPer who RP with anything to do with Medivh, but seeing as he is indeed a HUGE lore character, I would more advise against it. Thats just as bad as saying you were an apprentice of Antonidas. So generally no, just leave him out all together.

Again, keep your character simple, don't make him to ridiculous. You -could- say that he was studying things in Dalaran about certain magics and such, but just remember there is limits when it comes to characters. What i mean is, with every up, there is either a big or a small down.

Lets use one of my own char's for an example.

Shinaria Sunblaze is known to be the Holy Jailor because she uses her powers over the light to make holy chains. Thing is, she has been practicing this from a young age and worked -HARD- for it to work in the first place along with her friend.

But that's all because i have experience when it comes to such things.

Seeing as you are a new RPer, I would advise to keep anything that involves any major Lore char to a bare minimum, possibly your character can look them up and study their history, but little more than that as said.

Hope that makes sense.

Edit:

Also, Wowhead is a weak source when it comes to lore

Go to Wowpedia.org, that is as accurate as you're going to get.
Edited by Liå on 4/13/2012 8:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
As Lia stated and I'll expand upon anything that includes a Lore character other than as a passing meeting where you are just a face in a crowd is not acceptable.

For instance when Ashok was a paladin he had seen Tirion, Darion and Bolvar in passing at different points in the Lich King campaign, but he never actually got to meet them or have dealings with them that would lead to overly Gary Sue traits and such.

Your character is one of thousands across Azeroth and we aren't as strong as we are in-game, we are simple "heroes" and "champions" that join the ranks of hundreds of others while it is the Lore characters who lead the charge against the actual enemies of the world. As is with Deathwing we have no part in it other than fighting off the Twilight's Hammer Cultists and the Forgotten Ones of the Old Gods while Thrall and the Aspects fight Deathwing and his Lieutenants.

Make sense?
Reply Quote
97 Human Warrior
Your best bet when rolling a new character while being new to RP is to keep it simple. Nothing special, copy and paste the beginning lore handed to you in the starter zone and go from there. Listen to the introductions and base it off that.

It's far better to have a basic backstory and have a fantastic personality than to have a grandiose backstory and a crap personality. Don't forget that your backstory can come up and you will be judged/reacted to accordingly. Someone brings Medivh up they aren't going to be met with hugs and kisses, they're probably going to be chased out and some might go so far as to try to kill them.

As others have said: Half anything is frowned upon. Aside from it being extremely rare (And extremely unlikely in most cases) most people simply cannot pull it off well.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Thanks to both of you. And no I am not offended or hurt lol, though I appreciate you not being flat out rude, because that is what turns me off to asking questions. This is exactly what I was looking for. I did read the posts, but I wanted to clarify those few things to get a real understanding of how far I can go with stuff.

Pretty sure I understand now. I have seen some things here, mmo-champion, and on wowhead that seemed to clash in my head.

So as far as major lore characters, keep it to "seen afar off and admired" type thing correct?

The thing is Medivh, being essentially a possesed tool of Sargeras during his living career, did not leave much, if anything, in journals and he never taught. He had exactly ONE apprentice, Khadgar who was a mage in his own right... as well as a spy for the Kirin Tor.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]