Will Warlocks Tank?

85 Blood Elf Warlock
Read a lot about people back and forth about wanting warlock tanks and not wanting it. But I was wondering has there been any official word on this?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Just to make our intent clear, the Glyph of Demon Hunting isn't intended to turn Demonology warlocks into a tanking spec. You won't be able to queue as a tank for Dungeon Finder for instance and won't have the survivability or tools of say a Protection paladin.

GC's response in a thread on 3/26.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4253968049

That said, all the work that's being put into the DA glyph does make me a little suspicious that this will be a little more than an arms warrior throwing on a shield.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
So, as it is in their current state, Demo is NOT looking like it'll just be Arms Warr with a shield; if they keep it going at this rate, it'll be an easily viable, full-fledged tanking capable spec.

In which case we'll be nerfed into death.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior
No, you are gonna gonna tank on your Lock. Blizzard will not change their tanking mechanics for the whole game.

Level a War/Pally/DK or druid if you want to tank.
Reply Quote
81 Undead Warlock
Comon people you know whats realy going to happen. We will end up be off-tanks at best then they will remove it from Warlocks improve it so you can MT then give it to Mages. :)
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
04/13/2012 07:03 PMPosted by Skeltonz
Read a lot about people back and forth about wanting warlock tanks and not wanting it. But I was wondering has there been any official word on this?

The short answer, no.

The long answer, not as of now. But if you want it to happen, it can materialize. if you are on Beta, do as much as you can with the Dark Apotheosis glyph to try to see how a 4th tanking spec can materialize from it. Push your "tanking" limits, and even offer to go 3 man content in Demon Form bringing a healer and DPS along. Take note of how it goes and how it could be improved. When Live hits, do the same thing on the side. Blizzard has, surprisingly, showed willingness to accommodate well-thought player input into a lot of its decisions; unfortunately, they are often quite slow to do so, meaning realistically you will probably be looking at next expansion. However, if you want it next ex-pac, the key is to push for it *now*, not "later."

04/14/2012 03:00 AMPosted by Haibane
Level a War/Pally/DK or druid if you want to tank.

You can also re-roll a monk. Although, to be honest, having energy tanks is probably lamer than if we just made a new mana-based tank.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
/facedesk, paladins started off as not being able to tank...as did druids, and dk's didn't even exist to tank before wotlk, so your reasoning is flawed and very limited on those grounds alone....
Ok sure GC has nerfed the idea to nothing.
Sad, as that was quite possibly the most interesting thing I have heard about mop...still is the most interesting idea and would have cemented demo lock as my main for mop i believe.
Not to mention the freedom of role a person could have through use of glyphs wsa an amazing idea I thought.
At any rate, this whole arguement of 'if you want to tank, roll x class' is foolish and quite honestly, makes me wonder how insecure about your job as tank you really are Mr. Ney-saying warrior.
(If you played in vanilla, i bet you fussed a bunch when druids and paladins became worthwhile tanks.)
Pretty sure an insecure warrior is a bit of a cliche...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
It's all up in the air. GC said we shouldn't be able to tank. To that end, lock tanking has received massive nerfs since it first appeared, but we were so OP to begin with that we just ended up being not freakishly better than all other tanks. Also, it got a small buff last patch, which is confusing.

As I see it, there are currently three things -- other than GC's stubbornness -- that prevent us from being proper tanks:

1: Pure mitigation tanking is OP. This can be solved by nerfing our mastery scaling and giving us an avoidance mechanic, such as spirit = dodge. This would also mean we'd need different gear to tank than to DPS, which is something GC wants.

2: The ability to switch between tank and DPS at will is OP. This can be solved by making dark apotheosis replace metamorphasis instead of being a separate option and by requiring us to use spirit gear to tank.

3: Many of our tanking tools, including the glyph, are acquired fairly late in the leveling process, meaning we wouldn't be able to tank properly until (I think) Northrend dungeons. This is the hardest to solve, but if they change the levels at which the glyph and certain abilities are acquired, it could be made to work. The earliest dungeons can be voidwalker tanked as it is now, anyway. I'm sure you'd get newbs queuing as tanks without the glyph, but I've also seen balance druids trying to tank SM, ret paladins "tanking" BRD, and leather-wearing DKs attempting to tank Cata dungeons, so I don't see how this is any different.
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
04/14/2012 08:48 AMPosted by Dorotaya
As I see it, there are currently three things -- other than GC's stubbornness -- that prevent us from being proper tanks:

There's only one, and that's what you named. It's obvious that it's easy to create a proper tanking toolkit, given that it was done for a freaking energy resource using class.
Edited by Ancayson on 4/14/2012 10:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
57 Human Warlock
Judging from the constant changes on the beta, I have the optimistic theory that GC decided to listen to the community and is testing locks as full tanks but is waiting to make sure they can implement it before making an official statement.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
04/14/2012 10:23 AMPosted by Ancayson
There's only one, and that's what you named. It's obvious that it's easy to create a proper tanking toolkit, given that it was done for a freaking energy resource using class.

Well, what I meant was there's three things that need to change about lock tanking before MoP goes live. My point was that all of those things can be fixed so as long as GC wills it so.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
04/14/2012 10:42 AMPosted by Koruno
Judging from the constant changes on the beta, I have the optimistic theory that GC decided to listen to the community and is testing locks as full tanks but is waiting to make sure they can implement it before making an official statement.

Judging from the recent blue posts all over, I think they're getting frustrated or are surprised were not kissing their feet due to all the changes/new plot lines.

Alliance is raging, Locks and the tanking, Warriors now have totems, I mean flags, etc etc.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Its really unlikely. Franly, I don't see the point of making Druids have 4 specs to separate their melee dps and melee tanking role just to give warlocks a glyph that make them be able to do both in one spec.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
My prediction as to what will happen:

We'll be able to tank for the first day or so after the release of 5.0, and in fact will probably be the best tank by a significant margin, largely because the class dev team is inconsistent at best when it comes to listening to warlock feedback. When this happens, they'll realize "oh !@#$ oh %^-* need to fix fast" and end up hotfix nerfing demo's mastery scaling, which will also end up neutering demo dps, and this won't be fixed for at least a full patch.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
04/14/2012 05:09 AMPosted by Ancayson
Blizzard has, surprisingly, showed willingness to accommodate well-thought player input into a lot of its decisions; unfortunately, they are often quite slow to do so, meaning realistically you will probably be looking at next expansion. However, if you want it next ex-pac, the key is to push for it *now*, not "later."

Since when? They do what they want and pretty much ignore the warlock community. We have been asking for changes for 2 expansion now and haven't really gotten squat other than an assurance that they are listening. Nothing has really changed.

Same seems to be happening with this beta. They do something that many many warlocks are interested in and excited about (Demo Tanking) and immediately nerf it into the ground.

I know I know, Beta doesn't mean live....things will still change.... I'm not overly optimistic though considering blizzards track record when it comes to warlocks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
04/14/2012 12:36 PMPosted by Agrippas
They do something that many many warlocks are interested in and excited about (Demo Tanking) and immediately nerf it into the ground.

Actually, the nerfs only made demo tanking not completely and insanely overpowered (remember, people were soloing current tier raid bosses with this glyph in the first build). While I'm not hugely optimistic that it will stay this way until live, all reports are that demo warlocks are still viable tanks in the current beta build.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
04/14/2012 12:44 PMPosted by Dorotaya
Actually, the nerfs only made demo tanking not completely and insanely overpowered (remember, people were soloing current tier raid bosses with this glyph in the first build). While I'm not hugely optimistic that it will stay this way until live, all reports are that demo warlocks are still viable tanks in the current beta build.

Maybe I am only seeing negative posts about it since the recent round of nerfs to the tank spec. I haven't seen any positive ones regarding it recently though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
04/14/2012 12:36 PMPosted by Agrippas
Same seems to be happening with this beta. They do something that many many warlocks are interested in and excited about (Demo Tanking) and immediately nerf it into the ground.

Another point is that GC's first comment seemed to be that he went off for vacation, came back, read the first two/three posts in the thread, and commented on page 5 that "lol you guys aren't going to be tanks...".

That was my impression behind everything. He didn't even say, "WoW, you guys put a lot of work and theorizing into this, even creating rough stat equivocations, scaling % values, and more." or anything like that.
04/14/2012 12:51 PMPosted by Agrippas
Maybe I am only seeing negative posts about it since the recent round of nerfs to the tank spec. I haven't seen any positive ones regarding it recently though.

Only pro-tank change is that the damage is back up to 10% I think, or soemthing higher than 2%, and that Fury Ward is now an active mitigation CD.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]