mail sent to wrong toon

90 Night Elf Druid
So, being all herpy derpy and trying to send mail from an alt to myself at 5:30 am, I miss typed the spelling of my name. I typed ' auriel ' instead of ' aureil '. The mail sent after realising what I had done. I quickly sent another mail to the person explaining I had made a mistake and hoping they would be kind enough to correct my derpyness.
I also just looked the toon up on here to see if there was a person named 'auriel' on my sever, there is but they must not have been on for a very long time. They're still level 80 and I can't see their armory (I got the ' opps' message.
So, I'm wondering should I submit a ticket for this, is this something Blizz can fix, or am I at a lose for my own stupidity?
The mail was only 2 of the alliance faction pets I planned to put on the neutral AH.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Yes, submit a ticket. Happened to me before and it got resolved quickly by a GM sending me back my mail.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
One
If they are inactive it'll be returned to you upon the mail expiration.
Reply Quote
If you send a GM ticket asking for the mail back, they usually can do that. If the person logs into the toon and empties the mail, the GM will usually not be able to return your items.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I've asked those be returned to sender, check the toon's inbox that mailed them here in a bit.

Also, one trick I use myself is to friend all my characters to all my alts. That helps with filling in the character name if they don't happen to be guilded with each other.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
lso, one trick I use myself is to friend all my characters to all my alts. That helps with filling in the character name if they don't happen to be guilded with each other.

I just did that AFTER the fact. lol
Thank you for the replies and report. The issue has been resolved.
The few times I've had to deal with customer support its always been awesome.
Thank you.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
I've asked those be returned to sender, check the toon's inbox that mailed them here in a bit.

Also, one trick I use myself is to friend all my characters to all my alts. That helps with filling in the character name if they don't happen to be guilded with each other.

Putting your alts on your friends list should not be the fix. Your accounts toons should automatically be in the autofill.
Reply Quote
14 Blood Elf Priest
04/14/2012 12:55 PMPosted by Ruid
Putting your alts on your friends list should not be the fix. Your accounts toons should automatically be in the autofill.

Just to be clear, there's nothing broken and adding toons to your friends list isn't a "fix" it's a trick to make sure you don't spell the name wrong.

If you'd like to suggest this feature, so that all your toons on your account automatically autofill, you'll want to post over in General so that a developer can see it.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
This is why I recommend the addon postal, it adds a address book, one for friends, one for guild, one for recently mailed, and one for alts. You will never have to worry about sending mail to the wrong person again because of a typo. There are other features added with it aswell, but you can look it up on curse to see for yourself. :) hope my answer helps.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

Is there a possibility that this can be the default behaviour for the autocomplete function so that you don't have to take up friend slots with your alts?

Also I've noticed that autocomplete doesn't work too well with Real ID friends alts and that I have to friend them as well to get the feature to work for them.
Reply Quote
14 Blood Elf Priest
If you would like to make a suggestion to change how the mail system populates the names you're sending mail to, you need to post that suggestion over in General where it will be seen by a developer.

Developers do not visit the CS forum for in-game suggestions.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior

Why isnt that sort of thing automatic? Would solve a bunch of problems before they start AND free up more GM time. win//win situation.
Reply Quote
MVP - Customer Support
100 Tauren Druid
04/14/2012 02:10 PMPosted by Phthonus
Why isnt that sort of thing automatic?

Because the developers haven't set it up to be that way. As mentioned, some addons do.

If you'd like to see that behavior added to the default UI, a post in the UI and Macros forums would probably be the best way to go about making the suggestion.
"Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle."
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
I would also like to point out that it appears that the WoW client also searches your /WTF folder for a list of names to suggest as well.

I know this because I once deleted a banktoon and replaced it with a similarly named toon and WoW's mail system was constantly suggesting the old toon name every time, despite that toon not being friended or in my guild or even existing in the game.

It wasn't until I noticed I still had an inventory list for the old toon in Bagnon that I got the idea to delete that toon's settings folder from /WTF and voila, no more erroneous name recommendations.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
You can download a mod called "Postal"

I use it because it solved the problem of trying to mail things to people with ascii characters in their name... You know those letters like ì ú ƒ etc...

The mod allowed you to search in categories like Guildies, ALTS, Friends, Most recently mailed toons and a bunch of other helpful stuff. In your case you would not have to add all of those toons and clog up your friends list because your characters would be contained in it's database.

On top of your own issue it also allows bulk collection and other little fun things.
Hope it helps!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman

Doesnt always work well. I got my gm to mail me stuff since his main was Kain and i made an alt in guild called Kainsfather. It auto filled in my name and bam i got mail.
Reply Quote
6 Human Hunter
Fun story, back in wrath I sent 200 from my alt (my main in cata) to my main (alt now).

I got the mail but it was empty, the 200 was lost somehow and I was too noob to even think about making a ticket, and I just realized I could have made a ticket when I read this post...

Oh well, nothing can be done now after more than 2 years.

It was in EU btw.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Theres also a trick that I use, when sending large amounts of gold or expensive items is to send a heirloom along with it. few more copper + heirloom = guaranteed protection that the mail wont get sent to anyone not on your account!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
As Ash said, the heirloom trick is great....anytime I've mailed expensive pets, mounts, or anything that has a huge value, sending an heirloom is a great idea.....If it worked that way in the real world, I think the postman would never fail with my mail if I sent something as threatening as a bloodied axes through the mail with my Christmas gifts.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You can download a mod called "Postal"

I use it because it solved the problem of trying to mail things to people with ascii characters in their name... You know those letters like ì ú ƒ etc...

The mod allowed you to search in categories like Guildies, ALTS, Friends, Most recently mailed toons and a bunch of other helpful stuff. In your case you would not have to add all of those toons and clog up your friends list because your characters would be contained in it's database.

On top of your own issue it also allows bulk collection and other little fun things.
Hope it helps!
This addon is brilliant, i have it and could not go with out now
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]