Whats the best rogue leveling spec?

85 Orc Death Knight
As of now, what would you guys say is the best rogue leveling spec?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
bump
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Sub by far
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
No need to bump a 17-minute-old thread on a Sunday night, Daveski.

There's a sticky at the top of this forum with leveling advice. If that ain't enough, read through this to get a rough feel for each spec, and choose the one that appeals to you most.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/08/31/wow-rogue-leveling-guide-catalcysm/

Robinwilliams is completely right that you all three work. Choosing between them is a matter of personal preference.
Reply Quote
89 Goblin Rogue
Sub
Reply Quote
71 Goblin Rogue
Sub and level in Bg's= you have all the tools to completely dominate, just remember kill from STEALTH, quickly re-stealth, rinse repeat till people quit and come to forums to QQ about sub rogues in low lvl bg's...
Reply Quote
71 Goblin Rogue
Sub is better for bursting down targets when questing

Premed + ShS, Ambush, Eviscerate. Target should be dead at that point.

Combat is better in dungeons with the cleave effect
if you gear correctly (or heirloom +level correct gear) you will basically destroy anything within 3 levels of you, even with sub pvp spec.

"Premed + ShS, Ambush, Eviscerate" is cake, once you hit level 63 and you can cut energy costs of ambush/backstab you basically kill anything every 20 seconds (cooldowns)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
I leveled mine up in Combat Spec.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Hard to believe nobody's suggested Assassination yet.

On the first mob you kill use Slice and Dice & a 5 point Recuperate then as long as you kill something every 30 seconds you never need to put them up again. Most mobs die in just a couple seconds just using Mutilate & Envenom. Rupture/Deadly Poison + throw kite if you're going to solo elite mobs.

I was one of the first rogues on Stormrage to hit level 85. I was using something like this: http://wowtal.com/#k=v0qbe86hj.bqj.rogue.Raotnw

I don't agree with Sub; Backstab & Ambush have positional requirements so you'll be stuck using Hemorrhage most of the time. You won't be able to put any points in Deadly Momentum until you're in the 70s so you'll have to put Recuperate & Slice and Dice back up constantly. Sub's great if you're going to PVP grind your way along but I would avoid it for anything else.

Combat is always a good choice. If you spec right you can become a mini-tank and plow your way through groups of mobs.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
I've seen the correct advice mentioned in this by Rffean and robinwilliams. It is a preference and playstyle choice.

Try them out and see what you like. Dedicate some time and study to each one to see what feels right to you.

The people you see giving you one word answers of a spec, I would guess are recommending what they leveled in, themselves. With regards to that, my only suggestion could be subtlety because it's what I used to level. I know the advantages of leveling subtlety but I don't know how it stacks up against combat and assassination because I didn't level in them. If you like the increased mobility and burst damage, sub is able to provide that.
Edited by Twitçh on 4/16/2012 11:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Human Rogue

On the first mob you kill use Slice and Dice & a 5 point Recuperate then as long as you kill something every 30 seconds you never need to put them up again. Most mobs die in just a couple seconds just using Mutilate & Envenom. Rupture/Deadly Poison + throw kite if you're going to solo elite mobs.

Considering its best to use wound wound or crip wound for leveling mutilate is terrible. Nothing lives long enough to get DP up to use envenom

04/16/2012 11:01 AMPosted by Orimos
was one of the first rogues on Stormrage to hit level 85. I was using something like this: http://wowtal.com/#k=v0qbe86hj.bqj.rogue.Raotnw

I havent seen any good rogues on stormrage so thats not saying much.

don't agree with Sub; Backstab & Ambush have positional requirements so you'll be stuck using Hemorrhage most of the time. You won't be able to put any points in Deadly Momentum until you're in the 70s so you'll have to put Recuperate & Slice and Dice back up constantly. Sub's great if you're going to PVP grind your way along but I would avoid it for anything else.

Because your bad maybe. Hemo is awesome and does really good damage after you get it around level 29. It does more damage than SS or mutilate with less energy cost. No brainer here.
Reply Quote
71 Goblin Rogue

Considering its best to use wound wound or crip wound for leveling mutilate is terrible. Nothing lives long enough to get DP up to use envenom

04/16/2012 11:01 AMPosted by Orimos
was one of the first rogues on Stormrage to hit level 85. I was using something like this: http://wowtal.com/#k=v0qbe86hj.bqj.rogue.Raotnw

I havent seen any good rogues on stormrage so thats not saying much.

don't agree with Sub; Backstab & Ambush have positional requirements so you'll be stuck using Hemorrhage most of the time. You won't be able to put any points in Deadly Momentum until you're in the 70s so you'll have to put Recuperate & Slice and Dice back up constantly. Sub's great if you're going to PVP grind your way along but I would avoid it for anything else.

Because your bad maybe. Hemo is awesome and does really good damage after you get it around level 29. It does more damage than SS or mutilate with less energy cost. No brainer here.

positional requirements are there because it does so much damage it must be limited- no other spec would be played if you could unleash from any angle...learn not to keyboard turn and sub is by far the most explosive fun choice, every time you open from the shadows your target is either dead or 20%...tell me that isn't worth it!
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Rogue
Sub, you do more damage low lvl. Kills stuff faster for quests so you can lvl faster. Makes stuff alot easier. If you dont know how to set it up look up Moraylia-Moon Guard or Ellianna-Shattered Halls.
Reply Quote
For what it's worth, I hit 85 3 days ago and leveled fresh from 1 (played a rogue from launch through BC then left until last month). I tried all 3 specs, starting as combat then getting sub for dual spec.

Right before Outlands, I respecced combat into assassination because I was running fewer dungeons and I played assassination way back in the day. For simply grinding out quests as quickly/efficiently as possible, I would say that assassination is easiliy the best spec. Everyone makes good points supporting subtlety, but it sounds like they just didn't give assassination a chance.

Subtlety has great burst, CP generation, energy efficiency, and survivability through cooldowns. Assassination has great burst, CP generation, energy efficiency (less than sub), survivability (less than sub). Where assassination does pull ahead in terms of questing is in the momentum you generate for chain-killing (a big part of questing).

I would say try all three specs if you can. Once I hit Outland, I couldn't pull myself away from the efficiency of assassination spec. I never dipped below 85% health, and I would never spend CPs on recup or SnD after they got rolling off the first 2 mobs. Overkill kept my energy high, ambush>mutilate gives you 5 CPs right out of stealth with your passive finishers always up. You can cold blood an eviscerate if your poisons aren't stacked, or you can finish with envenoms for bigger damage.

Assassination is especially effective in cataclysm where mobs have much larger health pools, and a typical fight will have you performing 2 or even 3 finishers. The passive finishers are always up, and you are free to spend all your energy, CPs and GCDs on envenoms or eviscerates for high DPS with no need to rest.

I averaged 1 hour and 7 minutes a level when it was all said and done. I'm sure people have done it much more quickly, but that's what I managed to pull without really trying to rush it.
Reply Quote
53 Goblin Rogue
This alt has made it thus far as virtually 100% assassination. I tried sub, but I just didn't do the same damage or have the same uptime.

I can kill for days doing something like:
Cheap Shot>Mutilate x2>S&D/Recuperate if not up or Eviscerate if they are. Mobs generally never even get a chance to hit you before they're dead. Deadly Momentum is nice to make Ambush crit if you prefer it over CS (YMMV), Overkill is awesome for keeping energy high, and you never need to refresh Recuperate and S&D as long as you're chain killing things.

I haven't tried combat yet, so I can't make any statements about it.
Reply Quote
65 Goblin Rogue
I'm having lots of fun as Assassination actually. Combat was cool too. Sub just isn't all that fun to me.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Rogue
I'm personally playing sub right now. I tried combat but It didn't seem to have a lot of energy efficiency for me. I tried assassination but didn't seem to kill things as fast.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]