no longer relvant

90 Blood Elf Priest
Currently sitting at 171ish solves for Tol'vir, only 2 rares found still. I was looking at the dates from when I found those 2 rares. One was in December 2010, when I first maxed arch. The second was a couple months later, February 2011. Both of those were within the first 30 solves. A steady stream of nothing has followed since... including lack of Tol'vir sites popping for the longest time. I would seriously go weeks without seeing more than 1-2 sites pop. With fossils and NE finally out of the way, they seem to be popping quite a bit more. I've noticed a huge reduction in fossil sites but not really any reduction with NE. I find that I have 4 NE sites up at the same time all too often.

This is pretty much all I have been doing when I have been online lately. I was hoping to get the claw and possibly the bug mount out of the way before MoP. The way things are looking, that won't be happening any time soon.

Blaine, I feel your pain. I'll probably be up in the 400's when I end up finally seeing my 3rd rare. With my luck it will probably be something completely useless to me like the Scimitar of the Sirocco. lol =\
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

Which makes me wonder why Blizzard implemented something like archeology that directly contradicts their design philosophy.

lol.

grinding IS Blizzard's design philosophy. it's the reason that i refuse to do archeology.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior

Which makes me wonder why Blizzard implemented something like archeology that directly contradicts their design philosophy.

lol.

grinding IS Blizzard's design philosophy.

First off, when quoting something, have a point of reference. I'll admit that I didn't justify the statement in this post, but if you care to read, I've explained multiple times in other places the various ways archeology contradicts their design philosophy.

Second, you're wrong.

When the game came out, there were a lot of grinds. Why? Because Blizzard thought that's what players wanted (after all, the other successful MMOs out there had them).

When Blizzard figured out that players didn't want Large raids and massive massive grinds, they began changing stuff. First it was 20 person raids, then later the 10/25 to cover both groups (small guilds/raiders and large guilds/raiders).

They also removed significant portions of the grind. The worst grind was getting non-home city rep. They removed that massive hurdle by adding cloth turn ins. Later (in BC) they changed it so there were no longer diminishing returns for level vs quest/mob for reps. There was also the ability to run dungeons for rep. This was way better than before, but still not good enough. LK brought us rep tabards, so the rep grind was now (for the most part) a non-issue.

An example in other areas, they removed the need for repeating raids infinitely by adding armor tokens, and later by adding justice and valor. They expanded on the tokens and points in LK, then streamlined it (a bit) in Cata.

So, no, massive grinds aren't Blizzard's philosophy.

Sure, there are still grinds, but most of the big ones are either legacy (left over from Vanilla and not revamped) or not all that common as a nod to those that like them.
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
509 Tol'vir solves.
1,706 solves across all races.

I went back to Northrend yesterday to see if I could get my last Vrykul rare (Nifflevar Bearded Axe) and/or my last Nerubian Rare (Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron) to pop, just to make sure my account wasn't somehow being prevented from obtaining rares (after over 450 solves in a race without a single rare, you begin to get a tad paranoid).

I finished 2 Nerubian commons and Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron popped up as my next solve. I can't exactly describe how I felt, but the feeling made me want to log off and shut down my computer, so that's what I did.

Tonight, winding down before bed, I figured I might as well finish the box so I could have an extra toy in my bag. I was clearing a few Vrykul digsites trying to get a Nerubian or two to spawn, and Nifflevar Bearded Axe popped. After 30 more minutes of gathering fragments in Northrend, I had two more rares in my archaeology book.

I am simply at a loss.

TOTAL ARCHAEOLOGY SOLVES:
Dwarf: 64 - 3/4 rares completed.
Draenei: 12 - 2/2 rares completed.
Fossil: 316 - 5/5 rares completed.
Night Elf: 612 - 7/7 rares completed.
Nerubian: 10 - 2/2 rares completed.
Orc: 1/1 rares completed.
Tol'vir: 509 - 3/6 rares completed.
Troll: 152 - 3/3 rares completed.
Vrykul: 21 - 2/2 rares completed.
TOTAL = 1,706

The only rares I have not found are:
Staff of Sorcerer-Thane Thaurissan (Dwarf) I am certain this is only because I have done the majority of my digging in Kalimdor, where there is only one Dwarf digsite.
Scimitar of the Sirocco (Tol'vir)
Staff of Ammunae (Tol'vir)
Scepter of Azj'Aqir (Tol'vir) The only item I ever wanted when I started out on this monstrous voyage.

WHY DO I HAVE MORE TOL'VIR SOLVES THAN ANY OTHER RACE (besides Night Elf) YET STILL NEED THE MOST RARES?

The only thing driving me to continue is the fact that if I give up now, all the time I have spent looking for the mount will have been a total waste of time. I don't even have a plate toon that can transmog Zin'rokh. I could have grinded 'The Insane' in the amount of time I have spent gathering vendor trash in Kalimdor (doing archaeology).

I was prepared for a timesink, but wow.

Maybe I'm just QQing, but if anyone has experienced this for themselves, they will understand where I am coming from.
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
04/28/2012 01:58 PMPosted by Dontqqme
too me..time is the most valuable thing in wow. after spending all that time and effort..with a big fat ZERO. whats your insticnts telling you?

This makes absolutely no sense (grammatically and literally).

If you're trying to somehow discourage me, it's pointless because you're far too late.

I have lots of other mounts to enjoy (Flametalon of Alysrazor, Azure Drake, Pureblood Firehawk, Time-Lost Proto Drake, Grand Black War Mammoth, etc.) while I search for this one, so it's really not about a mount or a prize anymore. It's simply about getting to the light at the end of the tunnel.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
What upsets me most is you can get about any rare/epic from ANY zone that your class fragments are from, I can get the troll from both eastern Kingdom and Kalimdor, and the same with night elf.

WHY IS IT WE CAN ONLY GET ULDUM rares from ULDUM and they ONLY spawn from ULDUM. Ok I can see you letting something only spawn from ONE ZONE in the whole game, but to do you have to be so tight with the RNG that people are going 100, 200, 300, 400+ solvers and still only have 2/6 from the zone? Is that really fun or fair to anyone but blizzard who doesn't give a rats !@#$ because they want you to keep playing =$$$$$.

Even with 9 digs per site with MOP it won't matter, I am sure just like today I have to waste 5-6 hours flying around all over for the night elfs fragments just to get the ULDUM ones to spawn and boom a few more white sob and number 74 of something that sells for 5 gold.

I know not one thing is going to change between now and MoP because there is no more patches, so all I can say is to paying blizzard $$$$ while they laugh at you. This is one profession I will NOT start on any toon. I have all TOON (7 lvl 85s) 525 cooking and fishing but I will be dam if I go to 525 on anything but my first archaeology toon.
Edited by Fenril on 5/3/2012 4:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
I understand RNG, but why is it that so many people get multiple rares (not including the common rares i.e. the pendant and the ring) with less than 100 solves, but I am at 512 Tol'vir solves without seeing ONE SINGLE RARE since my 30th solve.

What the heck, Blizzard?
Reply Quote
60 Blood Elf Priest
wow op...is all i can say ;; i give you credit for sticking it out to do that many with no reward in sight. that truly sucks

the rng in arch is exactly why my main account has stopped doing it.

rng is one thing but triple rng luck is totally "stupid" imo. (a harsh word but in all honestly whoever thought its "ok" as is, is mentally deficient, not too bright, and more then a few fries short of a happy meal, and i hope they dont breed Oo etc....)

arch could have been a truly fun experience that they could have expanded so eaily on every xpac.
but instead has become the grind of bad luck to end all grinds. it makes no sense at all to have so many rng factors working against you.
unless their goal was to destroy the profession, which of course they have succeeded in doing Oo
there have been countless (<--understatement) really good suggestions on how to fix it cause yes it IS broken. but they are ignored so far.
it had such potential ;; it is a shame it has turned into such a bad joke. ;;
Reply Quote
Dam Blaine I really hope your luck changes soon.
I've been following your progress here and I'm curious what is your NE solves at vs your Tol'virs?

I'm nowhere near your numbers but after all my NE solves I've begun to see my Tol'virs creeping up there to meet them. (still less than 200 though).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Finally got the claw pet which was my third rare and 198th solve for Tol'vir. I was getting close to giving up. I think I may take a small break before I try for the mount. lol With my luck, I fear I'll be in the same boat as Blaine.

However, I have a good feeling that you're going to get the mount soon! :)
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Go play some sport and come back, you will get it.
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
Finally got the claw pet which was my third rare and 198th solve for Tol'vir. I was getting close to giving up. I think I may take a small break before I try for the mount. lol With my luck, I fear I'll be in the same boat as Blaine.

However, I have a good feeling that you're going to get the mount soon! :)

Congrats & thank you.
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
It's officially been 500 solves since my last rare.

Is this mount bugged?

:|
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
One of my guildies just got the mount on his 20th solve.

I can't even pretend to be happy for him.
Edited by Blaine on 5/8/2012 1:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
Dam Blaine I really hope your luck changes soon.
I've been following your progress here and I'm curious what is your NE solves at vs your Tol'virs?

I'm nowhere near your numbers but after all my NE solves I've begun to see my Tol'virs creeping up there to meet them. (still less than 200 though).

Sorry, Imao, I totally missed your post.

I am currently at 546 Tol'vir solves and 657 Night Elf solves. Once I completed my last Night Elf rare, the digsites began to spawn slightly less often. I also have all the fossil and Troll rares, so nearly half of the digsites that spawn in Kalimdor for me are Tol'vir at this point.
Reply Quote
Hey no worry Blaine, ty for mentioning the solves though, I'm not sure how sane I would be after all those NE solves.

Really hope your luck changes soon!
Reply Quote
It's officially been 500 solves since my last rare.

Is this mount bugged?

What you did there

I see it
Edited by Trixxis on 5/9/2012 11:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
Just completed my 550th Tol'vir artifact.

It hurts.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I feel horrible for you Blaine! I decided to take a look at mine so far:

Dwarf: 13 - 1/4 rares completed.
Draenei: 7 - 1/2 rares completed.
Fossil: 39 - 4/5 rares completed.
Night Elf: 80 - 6/7 rares completed.
Nerubian: 6 - 0/2 rares completed.
Orc: 3 - 1/1 rares completed.
Tol'vir: 14 - 2/6 rares completed. (1 Jar so far)
Troll: 28 - 2/3 rares completed.
Vrykul: 6 - 1/2 rares completed.
TOTAL = 196 Solves

I hope your luck swings! I'ma doing my good luck Blaine dance!

*sway to the left*
*sway to the right*
*do the lawnmower*
*do the sprinkler*
*bounce baby bounce*
*and dig!*

The worst part of it all is that I didn't realize Queen A's Dressing Gown was Bind to Account, so I ended up selling it. My Warlock coulda used it!
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
My chain of 520 common Tol'vir artifacts in a row was broken last night by the staff. It's a real shame it wasn't the mount, but I had already come to terms with the fact that it was only a 33% chance the rare I wanted would que up. At least now it's boosted up to a 50% chance. Let's cross our fingers that it doesn't take another 520 solves for my next rare.

At least now I know my archaeology isn't bugged out and incapable of giving me rares. I would really rather not have another useless 359 BoA taking up space on my bank alt, so let's hope my next rare is the mount (and comes sooner rather than later).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]