Blizz: Only Gameplay, orcs, and humans matter

85 Tauren Shaman
What's your opinion on this? Metzen stated in his interview that only orcs and humans matter, so why do we even have the other races? Aesthetics?

Think hard people, before you dismiss these threads as QQ out of hand, go back through the story and look through it, consider how it's presented to new players, look at the way the story's been changed, and developed since WC3 and decide whether you're really happy, and want to keep supporting Blizzard.

Look at what Blizzard says and how.

Remember how they've told the Alliance they'll 'fistbump' yet the only thing happening is them helping Thrall get back on the throne of the Horde.

Thrall who hates slavery.

Thrall who logged in ashenvale (Like Garrosh)

Thrall who killed dwarves in southern kalimdor (Like Garrosh; seriously, an old thousand needles quest had him send a war party to wipe out a bunch of diggers).

Thrall that allowed Reghar Earthfury, a slave owner, to be his advisor.

Thrall who made Gallywix leader of the Goblins after he tried to kill him, and was a slave owner.

Thrall, who, apparently, the Horde can't wipe its nose without.

Think Hard People.
100 Troll Hunter
I hate the fact that it's stuck on an Orcs vs Humans archetype.

Moreover, I hate that my kind is constantly put down.
85 Worgen Rogue
Thinking is hard. I'd rather just beat up people with quips and jokes online.

But a question...weren't the dwarves digging there desecrating ancient Tauren burial mounds, or was that in Mulgore...?
90 Draenei Shaman
I'm not pleased that the other races dont get there dues in this conflict. You would think the night elves and orcs, drenaei and blood elves, forsaken and worgen, animosity would be used as a focus for war.

Warcraft may have started from orcs and humans, but the devs. should acknowledge that concept would get boring quite fast.
100 Troll Hunter
04/12/2012 04:57 PMPosted by Ilthen
But a question...weren't the dwarves digging there desecrating ancient Tauren burial mounds, or was that in Mulgore...?

They were digging for artifacts, and wiped out a Tauren Tribe except for Genn Stonespire who all had been living in what is now Bael Modan.
Edited by Pyronaptor on 4/12/2012 4:59 PM PDT
85 Orc Warlock
Did he really say this?
Really?
Humans and Orcs are the most bland races.
Even the gameplay is bland compared to the new MMOs coming out.
I hope GW2 or SW:TOR is ported to Macintosh...
85 Blood Elf Priest
What's your opinion on this? Metzen stated in his interview that only orcs and humans matter, so why do we even have the other races? Aesthetics?

I think it's more than orcs and humans are the backbone of their respective factions, so the story will largely focus around them, and other races will probably have to make due with a quest hub here or there which happens to be gnome, goblin, troll, or whatever focused.

I'd prefer the overall arc being told with a much more equal racial standpoint, but that's not likely to happen in wow.
Community Manager

You didn't just quote him out of context. You changed the meaning of what he said altogether:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/30/chris-metzen-on-mists-of-pandarias-story-and-why-the-players-are-the-real-villains/

Chris Metzen:
"...the pillars of the franchise are orcs and humans; it really is the Alliance and Horde by extension, and it really is those two groups beating the brains out of each other for an extended period of time. That’s always gotta be what Warcraft is about..."

He's saying that the franchise began with orcs and humans. Those two races are the pillars upon which the Alliance and Horde were built. But the story has progressed and evolved so much since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. Just because the faction rivalry has its foundations in a war between two races doesn't mean we think no other races matter.

I'm not saying his statements shouldn't be up for discussion. But I beg you not to start the discussion based on a false pretense.

Edit:

04/12/2012 04:55 PMPosted by Skytotem

Seriously. Look.
Edited by Zarhym on 4/12/2012 5:10 PM PDT
I guess this explains why Worgen Lore ended after the Gilneas starting zone. :l
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
04/12/2012 05:09 PMPosted by Vilkas

No, that's because you ate the Worgen lore writer when we let you off the boat.
85 Undead Death Knight
04/12/2012 05:07 PMPosted by Zarhym
But I beg you not to start the discussion based on a false pretense.

beg

..... you shouldn't be begging these unwashed cretins for anything, Mr. Zarhym; you should be crushing them beneath your unreasonably sexy heel! CRUSHING, I say!!

/shakefist
04/12/2012 05:11 PMPosted by Karat

No, that's because you ate the Worgen lore writer when we let you off the boat.

I also ate the BloodElf lore writer.
85 Orc Hunter
04/12/2012 05:09 PMPosted by Vilkas

This.
85 Tauren Druid

You didn't just quote him out of context. You changed the meaning of what he said altogether:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/30/chris-metzen-on-mists-of-pandarias-story-and-why-the-players-are-the-real-villains/

Chris Metzen:
"...the pillars of the franchise are orcs and humans; it really is the Alliance and Horde by extension, and it really is those two groups beating the brains out of each other for an extended period of time. That’s always gotta be what Warcraft is about..."

He's saying that the franchise began with orcs and humans. Those two races are the pillars upon which the Alliance and Horde were built. But the story has progressed and evolved so much since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. Just because the faction rivalry has its foundations in a war between two races doesn't mean we think no other races matter.

I'm not saying his statements shouldn't be up for discussion. But I beg you not to start the discussion based on a false pretense.

Edit:

04/12/2012 04:55 PMPosted by Skytotem

Seriously. Look.

So that just happened... Bwahahahaha
85 Orc Hunter
Seriously though, the fact that a lot of the new races are completly irrelevant now really dissapoints me. Worgen should be owning it up along side the Night Elves and Draenei in Ashenvale, just completly tearing it up over there. While there could be an all out war between the gnomes, dwarves, and goblins. Not to mention the vision Velen supposidly had that we havn't heard a peep of since launch. Zarhym just please put in a word that we would like to see more than Orcs and humans on the battle field. We want our old Night Elves back, the ones that strike without question and use the true and brutal forces of nature. Idk I really just miss Night Elves :(
90 Human Paladin

Chris Metzen:

I can see how his statement might lead people to misleading thoughts.

At first glance one might perceive that he is stating World of Warcraft is about the war between just those two races seemingly implying all others are just the recruited help standing in the background.

Though as stated I doubt that was his point but the confusion is tangible. Honestly I dont care who is at the front or the main focus, as long as my characters place in the world feels like it matters and Im presented an in depth and compelling story.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]