Blizz: Only Gameplay, orcs, and humans matter

90 Dwarf Warrior
04/13/2012 11:53 AMPosted by Melyria
Would be different to follow a Dwarf, and he can hold his liquor too.

No. Seriously. No 'one' Alliance leader. An Alliance doesn't have a singular ruler. Round table that crap. Give every race a voice and equal footing.

Maybe Wrynn has a bunch of magical contracts like in LoTR and Dragon Age?
100 Blood Elf Mage
Posted by Ferlion
And even the High King idea (which frankly shatters what many feel is the thematic of an Alliance) seems to support this idea.Similar to what I said about the Horde above, the Alliance formed an allegiance around human kingdoms. If you're suggesting they're thematically better served by a republic or democracy, Azeroth lore says otherwise.

Can we maybe get Magni back and put him in charge? Would be different to follow a Dwarf, and he can hold his liquor too. And maybe in this time as a crystal has made him stronger to where people cannot gripe about Thrall being stronger than any Ally leader. As in ways he is, and in others he isn't.

I'd see Magni come back as a Thane General to 'Lord' Wrynn (a new military command duo like Lothar/Turalyon or Danath/Kurdran).. Rescue Anduin and put him back on the throne (or some sort of regent council with close ties to the new church) as the diplomatic face of the human monarchy while his father leads the alliance into battle along side Magni as Lord Commander of the Alliance forces.

Also the Draenei should move to 'fill the void' that is the park. They'd be better utilized in the story if they were much closer to the humans. As nice as their islands and their crash site of a city are, a proper place in the Alliance would help them fit in. 'seismic issues' could threaten their current home.
Blizzard Employee
04/12/2012 07:01 PMPosted by Gibbet
I imagine this is why Zarhym drinks.

I haven't had a drink this year, thank you very much! I've been on the forums long enough that they've caused me to drink, AND caused me to stop drinking. :p
04/13/2012 12:27 PMPosted by Zarhym

I haven't had a drink this year, thank you very much! I've been on the forums long enough that they've caused me to drink, AND caused me to stop drinking. :p

Grats on giving it up. It seems to just cost too much these days. I mean like all of my gold goes there, and then people want me to heal right.
100 Pandaren Shaman
"Supreme Allied Commander" does indeed exist:

http://www.wowhead.com/object=181475/monument-of-remembrance

http://www.wowpedia.org/images/3/37/Plaque-monumentofremembrance.jpg

Yet "High King" does not.

They have completely different connotations.

Why can't they just say? Lothar and Tyrelon were both commoners. Varian is a king. He'll do the same thing, but it gives him an elevated title. It doesn't HAVE to infer some more power over alliance races in internal and inter-kingdom areas, just in military matters.
100 Night Elf Warrior
04/13/2012 12:27 PMPosted by Zarhym

The force is strong in this one.
85 Orc Hunter
04/12/2012 06:45 PMPosted by Zarhym
Similar to what I said about the Horde above, the Alliance formed an allegiance around human kingdoms. If you're suggesting they're thematically better served by a republic or democracy, Azeroth lore says otherwise.

I don't think the Alliiance is a democracy or republic by any stretch. The thing is there is little to no lore stating how the Night Elves were even sword into the Alliance. Little to no lore as to how the Forsaken were sworn into the Horde. It's just very bizzare.

Anyway, I don't think you're getting our point here Zar, we just want to see more than Orcs and Humans on the battle field. I do understand that we do see their races all over the palces during lore moments, but I dont really think those are considered Horde and Alliance moments.

I remember watching the wrath gate in-game cinematic, it was a great one, not only because it had the Alliance and Horde together, it had the WHOLE Alliance and Horde in one place, at one time, all races working together, not just humans and orcs. Yes, they are traditionally led by those two races, but they were never the only ones to be on the battlefield I mean c'mon now.
100 Pandaren Shaman
04/13/2012 12:33 PMPosted by Shilin

Grats on giving it up. It seems to just cost too much these days. I mean like all of my gold goes there, and then people want me to heal right.

Glad to hear you're not on the sauce. The geeks, nerds and poindexters in here throwing words into yours and Chris' words, I'd have started hitting the applejack about 12 pages ago.
90 Draenei Shaman
04/13/2012 12:48 PMPosted by Wolfieone
Glad to hear you're not on the sauce. The geeks, nerds and poindexters in here throwing words into yours and Chris' words, I'd have started hitting the applejack about 12 pages ago.

Hey now! I'm a proud nerd and I still had little floaty hearts drifting off my head when I read his earlier post.

I mean, I get why folks are pissed about it, but that's how I like my forum mods: not afraid to throw down once in a while.

I don't want whipping boys, I want fierce.
100 Dwarf Paladin
I understand why the orcs are the leaders of the Horde (and I love that the Forsaken are challenging this to some degree), but I don't understand why the humans are the leaders of the Alliance. Yes, the original Alliance was formed around 7 human kingdoms, but humanity has taken a LOT of big blows since those days. Now, even Theramore is getting destroyed and Stormwind is just about the only real human kingdom left, and even Stormwind is suffering from a terrible depression (as evidenced by Westfall) and political dissent.

So, why after all of this are the humans still the most powerful? Why do they lead every effort, even though another race might be suited to take charge for a while. Humanity is the pillar of the Alliance, but how much can you hammer at that pillar until it needs to be replaced?

I think what the Alliance really needs to become a truly unique and interesting faction is to have humanity step into a support role. How will humans handle having to take orders from night elves? Or what if instead of new human fortresses being erected all over Azeroth, the dwarves put their skill to use to create some proper citadels?

The Horde has plenty of examples of inter-racial conflict, and we get to see how the different races are unique. The Alliance too often feels like Humans+sidekicks.

Making Varian High King of the Alliance feels like the wrong choice to me, but I know it can't be changed at this point. I hope that you still give the other races more than just cameos. I think a great example of this being done successfully is in Twilight Highlands, and I would love to see more of it.

Truth be told, human's have gotten a lot of time in the spotlight and they really are pretty generic fantasy humans. I love Stormwind city, and I love the faction, but the other races are often more interesting.
41 Gnome Priest
04/13/2012 12:55 PMPosted by Tianjan

Hey now! I'm a proud nerd and I still had little floaty hearts drifting off my head when I read his earlier post.

I mean, I get why folks are pissed about it, but that's how I like my forum mods: not afraid to throw down once in a while.

I don't want whipping boys, I want fierce.

Derailing threads isn't what a forum mod should do anyway. I love his chat posts too.

"...the pillars of the franchise are orcs and humans; it really is the Alliance and Horde by extension

"...the pillars of the franchise ARE orcs and humans..."

So 'are' is used as present meaning they obviously still are the pillar of Warcraft lore.

"...it really is the Alliance and Horde by extension..."

So by extension of the orcs and humans we have the Alliance and horde.

Honestly, I don't see why the mod decided the need to chime in with a long meaningless post calling Sky out on a point that is so prevalent in the game itself. The humans and orcs do all the heavy lifting and they both define their factions. When was the last time the dwarves, gnomes, troll, tauren did anything? Sure we have the independent streaks of Night elves and Forsaken that get a small bit of love, but overall the focus of the story is orcs and humans.

There was no need to derail the thread when the point was valid and the quote is ambiguous, and when taken with the in-game story Sky was completely right about the races (at least 8 of them) being nothing more than flavor. They have no real contribution.

What is really disheartening though, is that instead of addressing the OP and saying something telling people that they are listening maybe like, "sure we know people want to know about the story and what is going to happen to their race and how they will react.", instead of meaningless posts that just derail threads because the text is blue instead of addressing the actual content of the thread.
Sky also forgot that Zarhym isn't the one making the story and has little to no control over it. He was taking it up with the wrong person, all he can do is relay the information and support those he works with. Really Sky should try to get in on one of the Metzen interviews or one of the Dev things where they take in ideas and talk to them there. His show of knowing lore alone would get them to take things seriously with him if he shows it to them.
41 Gnome Priest
04/13/2012 01:21 PMPosted by Shilin
Sky also forgot that Zarhym isn't the one making the story and has little to no control over it. He was taking it up with the wrong person, all he can do is relay the information and support those he works with. Really Sky should try to get in on one of the Metzen interviews or one of the Dev things where they take in ideas and talk to them there. His show of knowing lore alone would get them to take things seriously with him if he shows it to them.

Then the blue didn't need to post at all, he could just ignore it as usual. It's nice if they chime in to say they are listening or they are working on the development of other races, you know relay information. But to derail a thread with a clearly ambiguous quote and say it's clearly defined but completely ignore the actual issue at hand is not needed at all.
85 Troll Druid
Honestly, I don't see why the mod decided the need to chime in with a long meaningless post calling Sky out on a point that is so prevalent in the game itself. The humans and orcs do all the heavy lifting and they both define their factions. When was the last time the dwarves, gnomes, troll, tauren did anything? Sure we have the independent streaks of Night elves and Forsaken that get a small bit of love, but overall the focus of the story is orcs and humans.

Because it contradicted what the lead devs claim, not by "fact" but by "word of law".

An artist is always arrogant of his artwork, even to the fitting end. It's no different in this case.

Besides Zarph is community manager, it's likely he can' let a peep of negativity over the franchise, since for some reason business views self criticism as a weakness.
90 Human Paladin

So, why after all of this are the humans still the most powerful? Why do they lead every effort, even though another race might be suited to take charge for a while. Humanity is the pillar of the Alliance, but how much can you hammer at that pillar until it needs to be replaced?

Because there are more of us. Humanity outnumbers every other race in the alliance by over 100fold. That's why the majority of NPCs you see on Alliance fronts are Humans. Same deal with Orcs.
85 Gnome Priest
I need to start telling other story writers how to actually write their book. Or tell musicians that I've liked how to write their music, since I'm an expert.

That's what I'm seeing here. I may not like a few of the lore pieces, but then again, you can say "I dislike it.", and that's fine. But telling the people who made up the story how to write *their* story, (or well, from what I've seen, either passive aggressive, or flat out insult blues) is flat out illogical.

Gamer entitlement has gotten to be insane over all aspects of games. We've gone to the brinks of thinking we're buddy buddy and we have these Blizzard employees on speed dial, ready to strike up a girl-chat about the day. They are writing *their* story while also listening to the opinions of many different people. Everyone thinks their opinions are the correct one because they are the majority: You are the loudest, not necessarily the majority.

You paid, and are paying monthly for the game as is...you are not paying for future content that you are "owed" no matter how much you'd like to believe. If I'm not satisfied with any product, I don't purchase it and I move on.

But don't think they owe you anything. Your opinion while valid, doesn't mean you are a professional story writer that has a right to interfere with another person's story. Just like your favorite author: It's their book.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]