Blizz: Only Gameplay, orcs, and humans matter

I agree with Skytotem.

Even if what was said was taken slightly 'out of context' it's not like the writing proves it wrong.
Everything is Orc or Human.
33 Tauren Warrior
Posted by Skytotem
Look at what Blizzard says and how.

Seriously. Look.

well...mostly constructive. Your not doing a good job of being professional today.
90 Night Elf Rogue
They can't go and scrap the story they already worked on and all the graphics and quests they did because people are not satisfied with the way the story is going.

You're assuming that one side is even getting a story to be dissatisfied with.

That's the majority of many people's problems. Half of the available "Alliance" lore requires us to roll Horde. The rest of the Alliance's lore is stuck in a bunch of crappy novels written by largely trashy authors.

I'm already paying $60 an expansion plus $15 a month to play the game, why in the hell should I have to fork out another $10 per book for such poorly written trash?

Not to mention, they're a pain in the butt to even find. Not a single bookstore in the town I live in carries them. Not one.
90 Night Elf Druid
10 per book? Man, I wish. I gotta get $20 plus shipping if I want to keep up to date, or go out and spend a few hundred on an E-reader in addition to the books. And while I'm a fairly heavy reader, I got a big enough book collection that shelling out for a decent reader isn't exactly cost efficient.

Yeah, Patch 4.2 had nothing to do with Night Elves with Malfurion and Tauren with Runetotem, etc etc

This is obviously in regards to Alliance and Horde lore.
Edited by Ferlion on 4/12/2012 5:40 PM PDT
85 Tauren Shaman

I'm not saying his statements shouldn't be up for discussion. But I beg you not to start the discussion based on a false pretense.

It's not a false pretense, it's my interpretation of what he said, if you disagree with it that's fine, maybe he's not a graceful speaker, maybe he meant something else, maybe I'm just such a misanthrope that I didn't understand him.

But to me, it feels like only orcs and humans matter, that's all I took from it, and I'm tired.

I'm tired of caring.

I'm tired of hoping that 'the next story' is going to be better, that it'll make me happy, only to inevitable not just be disappointed, but to be -horrified- at how terrible the lore is, how ungraceful the writing is, and how it muddles things we used to understand.

I'm tired of hearing "Oh you'll be able to understand Varian and Garrosh." only for Varian to make no real appearance, and for Garrosh to order his air guard away.

I'm tired of being unable to understand when things happened because of how screwed up the timeline is.

I'm tired of the Forsaken being kitten-eating evil.

I'm tired of the Gnomes being laughing stocks.

I'm tired of questing through the southern barrens where people act like Honor's stand was some big deal when it didn't -exist- prior to cataclysm as anything other than an npcs-less ruined tower.

I'm tired of the Mag'har, touted by Thrall as true orcs, as being pure, uncorrupted, as being raised by Geyah to be -good-... act more bloodthirsty and dishonorable than -FEL ORCS-.

I'm tired of Malfurion and Cenarius chiding the Night Elves for fighting the Horde.

I'm tired of Tirion ignoring the Forsaken.

I'm tired of that shaman in front of Org giving a quest that makes -no- sense. To explain Why Garrosh is bad in a horribly hamhanded manner.

I'm tired of feeling stupid and evil when I play Horde, and ineffectual and weak when I play Alliance.

I'm tired of being LIED TO By Blizzard. When they say they'll explain things, like the Ebon Blade's future in Cata, or adding books to the capitals, or Stromgarde and Alterac in Cata (Galen was all? Seriously?). I can understand not having the resources to get to these things, or having to postpone them, but this lack of addressing? This quiet assumption that we should be happy with what we get or not notice? Not cool.

I'm tired of being told all of this is fine and what I feel doesn't matter, or that I'm a whiner.

I'm tired of feeling tired and disillusioned with the game.

So, regardless of whether I am or not, I'm not posting or playing anymore.

I don't enjoy the game, and whether the problem is me or not, it's all done with.

Goodbye and I hope everyone does whatever they think is best.
85 Worgen Rogue
04/12/2012 05:39 PMPosted by Awanii
Night Elves get alot

Druids get a lot.

Night Elves get to be portrayed as punching bags.
99 Troll Hunter
04/12/2012 05:39 PMPosted by Baba
Yeah, Patch 4.2 had nothing to do with Night Elves with Malfurion and Tauren with Runetotem, etc etc.

Cenarion Circle.

Night Elves and Tauren in the Cenarion Circle are different than Night Elves in the Alliance and Tauren in the Horde. Just like lore about the Zandalari is different than lore for the Darkspear.
1 Human Rogue
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. You spend too much time on the story forums where all the qq from alliance stays there.
90 Draenei Shaman
I don't enjoy the game, and whether the problem is me or not, it's all done with.

Goodbye and I hope everyone does whatever they think is best.

I am kinda sad your just gonna stop posting/playing...I mean I know your more of a lore geek then me and that saying something. And your less biased then me by a long shot.
I dont know, I think cata just left a bad taste in all of our mouths.

I half think the reason were all here complaining about the lore is because we dont have as much to do in game. Really I have been staring at the WoW icon for half an hour wondering if I should play or not but just cant find the motivation right now.
90 Night Elf Druid
You spend too much time on the story forums where all the qq from alliance stays there.

Just going to point out here.. The peopel who post in the story forums are probably going to have a better grip of the story than those that don't, so when they complain about things regarding "story" they are generally going to know more on the subject than say, those who just take a passing intrest in the lore.

So, you know, it's possible, and probably that it's not QQ, as much as valid complaints. Though agreed, an awful lot of it is QQ.
Edited by Ferlion on 4/12/2012 5:49 PM PDT
Yeah pretty much what he said.
41 Gnome Priest
04/12/2012 05:07 PMPosted by Zarhym
What's your opinion on this? Metzen stated in his interview that only orcs and humans matter, so why do we even have the other races? Aesthetics?

You didn't just quote him out of context. You changed the meaning of what he said altogether:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/30/chris-metzen-on-mists-of-pandarias-story-and-why-the-players-are-the-real-villains/

Chris Metzen:
"...the pillars of the franchise are orcs and humans; it really is the Alliance and Horde by extension, and it really is those two groups beating the brains out of each other for an extended period of time. That’s always gotta be what Warcraft is about..."

He's saying that the franchise began with orcs and humans. Those two races are the pillars upon which the Alliance and Horde were built. But the story has progressed and evolved so much since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. Just because the faction rivalry has its foundations in a war between two races doesn't mean we think no other races matter.

I'm not saying his statements shouldn't be up for discussion. But I beg you not to start the discussion based on a false pretense.

Edit:

04/12/2012 04:55 PMPosted by Skytotem
Look at what Blizzard says and how.

Seriously. Look.

Honestly though, when you look at the story in the game it is only Orcs and Humans. Varian is going on to be the warchief of the alliance, and Varian and Jaina are getting a lot of story in MoP, while the Horde is getting a lot more development with Garrosh and the actions of the Orcs defining the horde as a whole.

Even in Cataclysm the horde races only absorbed the personality of Orcs and the alliance races were forgotten outside of humans and night elves (since the Orcs were massively expanding the night elves had to have some story). We see Vol'jin protesting, but in the end EVERY horde race goes a long with them, and you pretty much blame the whole horde for the actions of the orcs because the other races aren't given personality.

The game is HEAVILY Orcs and Humans with a little spattering of the other races thrown in there to create some kind of flavor. Other than Orcs or humans it would be Night elves (and forsaken in Cataclysm) get the next most story, and even that is heavily watered down do to poor implementation of neutral factions, it's hard to tell when the Night Elves (alliance) end and the Night Elves (druid/neutral) begin.

It's very narrow story telling in such an expansive world.
Edited by Healstime on 4/12/2012 5:53 PM PDT
90 Human Paladin
skytotem man im sorry but its hard to feel sorry for horde it really is. even if i wasnt alliance i still wouldnt feel sorry for any horde races they still have gotten a better treatment then all of the alliance races put together.

you have brought up valid complaints but i any of them that concern horde is just not somthing i can feel sorry for.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]