Blizz: Only Gameplay, orcs, and humans matter

04/12/2012 05:26 PMPosted by Ferlion
Yet Blizzard seems intent on making Humans and Orcs the central figures. And even the High King idea (which frankly shatters what many feel is the thematic of an Alliance) seems to support this idea.

Sadly, I dont have beta access, but from what I've read so far, the storylines in Pandaria are:

-Help Nazgrim and survivors (I like Nazgrim, but in the end, it's an orc storyline)
-Rescue Anduin (Varian's son, human storyline)
-Garrosh goes corrupt (orc storyline)

And.... oh, yes, A promised quest line to help the King of the humans be the Warchief... i mean, the High King of the Alliance (over older, wiser leaders than him... even the gilnean leader is older than him, and he actually is a human =/ ).

...and what about the other races? I read something about Yaks as tauren cousins, and I REALLY hope they dont end up marginalized, just like the Taun'ka u_u ...

This is not a complaint, just kind of a comment, and maybe a feedback. We just want more presence of the other races, please :)
Edited by Taniara on 4/12/2012 5:54 PM PDT
85 Goblin Rogue
04/12/2012 05:36 PMPosted by Wola
Even if what was said was taken slightly 'out of context'

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHA

ok I'm better now.
04/12/2012 05:36 PMPosted by Wola
slightly 'out of context'

OK NO IM NOT HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAHAAHAHAHAH OH GOD

He did the definition of out of context.
85 Worgen Rogue
04/12/2012 05:43 PMPosted by Awanii
Good point, Tyrande is nothing but arm candy. But, they have alot prior to WoW and prior to Cata.

Not really. We know nothing of Elune, how she acts, we know nothing of the Sentinels or why they're different from an actual police force, we know nothing aside from durid duridz duridz hurp derp
Edited by Ilthen on 4/12/2012 5:54 PM PDT
85 Tauren Druid
/CondescendingPriceIsRightLosingTrumpet
91 Night Elf Druid
04/12/2012 05:49 PMPosted by Baba
This is obviously in regards to Alliance and Horde lore.

It's all part of a connected web. Don't tell me just because character A or character B wasn't featured in a patch's storyline it has no trickle effect onto the lore's factions. If you're so explicitly focused on the strict angle of Alliance v. Horde, then look at what the first half of the next expansion's focus is.

Lets try and explain this in a quick, concise, polite way. I'll use Night Elves as an example.

Druidism is a "minor" aspect of their culture. It certainly has a place, but by and large the Cenarion Circle was a small faction. It gets its backing from Darnassus. It's why Jarod and the Wardens were featured in the Firelands. They are Darnassian alligned, not Cricle Alligned.

Yet Malfurion and druidism suck up ALL other night elven lore. We know very little about Elunite culture, which is by far the stronger aspect of the Night Elves, with their very government being run by the Church.

And since Blizzard is so intent on constanty portraying Druidism and Malfurion as neutral parties, it leads to very bad things happening to the story. Like the Forsaken poisoning Druids. And Night Elven players being sent to kill the Druids and ignore the Forsaken doing the poisoning. And then the Forsaken work just fine with the Circle.

Yes, to a degree it's connected.

But it's not exactly as clear cut as you make it out to be.
04/12/2012 05:54 PMPosted by Ghorog
/CondescendingPriceIsRightLosingTrumpet

I don't care what else this thread is about, this response is just one of the best ones to anything I've ever seen anywhere on this forum. I laughed so hard.
91 Night Elf Druid
Yet Blizzard seems intent on making Humans and Orcs the central figures. And even the High King idea (which frankly shatters what many feel is the thematic of an Alliance) seems to support this idea.

Sadly, I dont have beta access, but from what I've read so far, the storylines in Pandaria are:

-Help Nazgrim and survivors (I like Nazgrim, but in the end, it's an orc storyline)

And.... oh, yes, A promised quest line to help the King of the humans be the Warchief... i mean, the High King of the Alliance (over older, wiser leaders than him... even the gilnean leader is older than him, and he actually is a human =/ ).

...and what about the other races? I read something about Yaks as tauren cousins, and I REALLY hope they dont end up marginalized, just like the Taun'ka u_u ...

This is not a complaint, just kind of a comment, and maybe a feedback. We just want more presence of the other races, please :)

Well, from what the storite beta posters (yes, storite, I made teh word up) have uncoverd says that there is a nice quest line about Trolls, Night Elves, Mogu, and all that, so other races are getting lore about their past and such which is well and good.

All for that. But when their present roles are marginalized, its just flavor. And while flavor is very, very, very important, you still gotta have something to chew.
Edited by Ferlion on 4/12/2012 5:59 PM PDT
41 Gnome Priest
04/12/2012 05:43 PMPosted by Awanii
Good point, Tyrande is nothing but arm candy. But, they have alot prior to WoW and prior to Cata. More so than Dwarves, Worgen, Gnomes, and Draenei combined. All four of those are -severely lacking- in lore, same as Darkspear, Tauren, and to some extent, the Goblin faction.

Yeah, Orcs and Humans define their factions. Then I would say Night Elves and Forsaken get okay development, but the 8 other races are pretty much flavor races and serve no real purpose. Sure a blue post may have derailed the thread, but the idea that only Orcs and Humans matter in WoW is still pretty spot on, especially when you actually play the game.

I also have to say I hate that they writers decided it's best for Tyrande to be a docile housewife that only lives to please Malfurion...my favorite character ruined in an expansion.
Edited by Healstime on 4/12/2012 6:02 PM PDT
90 Pandaren Shaman
Only people who can't fathom pressing more than 5 buttons matter, oh and god forbid they have to push one of those buttons AND wasd or hold 2 buttons on a mouse at the same time.
90 Gnome Warlock

Chris Metzen:
"...the pillars of the franchise are orcs and humans; it really is the Alliance and Horde by extension, and it really is those two groups beating the brains out of each other for an extended period of time. That’s always gotta be what Warcraft is about..."

He's saying that the franchise began with orcs and humans. Those two races are the pillars upon which the Alliance and Horde were built. But the story has progressed and evolved so much since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. Just because the faction rivalry has its foundations in a war between two races doesn't mean we think no other races matter.

I think the one big issue is that focusing on that war does make the game mostly about orcs and humans, because it's their war. It's not necessarily the war of any other race.

I'm a gnome. What have the orcs or any of the other Horde races ever done to me? The worst thing that ever happened to my race was done by my own race, with the help of Dark Iron dwarves. What issues do the dwarves have with the Horde? On the Horde side, what is the worst the Alliance has ever done to the Darkspear trolls? Sure, the Alliance has killed lots of trolls, but the Darkspear is fully supportive of killing all those other trolls.

Chris Metzen talked about the Trials of the High King questline in that interview, about how Varian Wrynn will go around and earn the full support of the Alliance races. I hope Blizzard realizes that, for the gnomes, that needs to involve giving us a good reason to want to fight the Horde in the first place.
85 Orc Hunter

Holy crap I agree 110%. Why are we all the sudden bowing down to Varian? I am a Dwarf and Night Elf at heart I would follow my frozen king before I lay down my life for Varian, even if he did save our city once or twice. As for being a Night Elf this is where I wish RP servers had more of an umph to them.

I dont want to serve the 'King' the only person I would be serving is the goddess and Tyrande Whisper wind and Malfurion. Screw Varion seriously, this is an ALLIANCE a band of races united together underneath one banner. I goatta say in WCIII if Tyrande were to be told that she needs to do this this and that, she would have a b*tch fit and start going off on Varian, threatening him telling HIM what to do, telling HIM the Goddess is her protecter and only leader. Idk. Blizz has really lost touch with what the other races are thinking.
Edited by Cregan on 4/12/2012 6:02 PM PDT
85 Gnome Mage
Humans will always beat Orcs in conflict due to the imabalanced racial allowing humans an extra trinket :P
90 Human Death Knight
Good thing I am a human
You have to admit that many of the other races are being overshadowed.

Remember those guys, the Draenie, those guys are overshadowed that in Wolfheart Tyrande had actually thought that they had all left and went back to Draenor.

Or like how Thrall completely subjugated Muln Earthfury as leader of the Earthen Ring.

Some of you people have to admit that we have a problem here.
41 Gnome Priest
Holy crap I agree 110%. Why are we all the sudden bowing down to Varian? I am a Dwarf and Night Elf at heart I would follow my frozen king before I lay down my life for Varian, even if he did save our city once or twice. As for being a Night Elf this is where I wish RP servers had more of an umph to them.

I dont want to serve the 'King' the only person I would be serving is the goddess and Tyrande Whisper wind and Malfurion. Screw Varion seriously, this is an ALLIANCE a band of races united together underneath one banner. I goatta say in WCIII if Tyrande were to be told that she needs to do this this and that, she would have a b*tch fit and start going off on Varian, threatening him telling HIM what to do, telling HIM the Goddess is her protecter and only leader. Idk. Blizz has really lost touch with what the other races are thinking.

Yeah it's stupid that they want to make the Alliance like the horde. The alliance doesn't need a warchief (especially not a the absorb all the story). Plus I wish they didn't decide to ruin Tyrande's character in cataclysm by completely destroying her personality, she is nothing more than an empty shell of her former self.

Also please kill off Malfurion, he is ruining Tyrande as a character (the writers are incapable of properly developing her established character) and he is severely weakening the night elves.
04/12/2012 05:07 PMPosted by Zarhym
I'm not saying his statements shouldn't be up for discussion. But I beg you not to start the discussion based on a false pretense.

Well when the proof is in the story, you can't really call it "False Pretense".

No seriously, if Skytotem is a liar, what did the Council of 3 hammers do, hmm? How bout them Dark Spears, did they do anything worthwhile in the cataclysm? Draenei? Blood Elves? Worgen?

No, no I thought not.
Edited by Seebach on 4/12/2012 6:08 PM PDT
100 Troll Hunter
04/12/2012 06:06 PMPosted by Healstime
Also please kill off Malfurion, he is ruining Tyrande as a character (the writers are incapable of properly developing her established character) and he is severely weakening the night elves.

Blame Richard Knaak. He's been ruining Night Elf lore ever since War of the Ancients, and he can't write a decent female character to save his life.

How does a Priestess like Tyrande get neutralized by a stray arrow?
90 Night Elf Rogue
04/12/2012 05:58 PMPosted by Ferlion
Well, from what the storite beta posters (yes, storite, I made teh word up) have uncoverd says that there is a nice quest line about Trolls, Night Elves, Mogu, and all that, so other races are getting lore about their past and such which is well and good.

I'm all for lore/history content.

However, the matter is that there is a distinct lack of story regarding the present. At least in my experience as Blood Elf, Draenei, Night Elf, and Alliance in general. Ashenvale was a travesty of story telling for the Alliance, as was the so-called resolution of the Gilneas quest line.

HEY METZEN! LESS TERRIBLE BOOKS! MORE STORY CONTENT IN THE GAME! THANKS, BRO!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]