The most religious and spiritual races.

85 Goblin Mage
Which race is the most religious and which race is the most spiritual. To playable races, I think we have three major contestants; Draenei, Tauren, Night Elves, and Trolls.

To the Draenei, I give the title of most religious. The Draenei have a set of beliefs that's been relatively unchanged for over twenty-five thousand years. Their civilization is a theocracy led by a prophet. The civilization has a clearly defined, even if lofty, goal that is indistinguishable from their religious beliefs. Following that line of thinking they also have a Theo-military run by those with divine power.

To the Trolls, I give the title of most spiritual. Trolls have a very diverse and incredibly adaptable spiritual system. I proclaim them the most spiritual, simply because Trolls don't have make distinction of anything being non-spiritual. They (rather correctly) believe that things such Technology and Arcane magic, which is usually shoved in the category of being purely academic, to also be spiritual. As technology is another way binding the elements, and arcane magic also affects spirit realm. They have deities, omens, and rituals for nearly everything, turning a usually non-secular activity such as making a weapon into a spiritual endeavor by performing voodoo during the forging process or having their hunters take on the aspects of a certain Loa.

They're system makes them quick to adopt any new divine entities as their own(such as animals spirits in outland and the Ancients in Hyjal) and also non-averse to incorporating new spiritual practices (like The Light or Druidism which was always quasi-present).

When contrasting Dreanei and Trolls, I think the distinction is pretty easy to see. Trolls don't seem to have a hard-lined doctrine, probably passing down most lessons through orally through fables, making them more flexible as even Dreanei were a bit averse at first to the practice of shamanism which had apparently evaded them even when they came into contact with it. While Dreanei have a goal to work to, Troll religion doesn't have a purpose, even becoming a Loa isn't a goal anyone is seen striving towards.

So now I'm left to explain why I don't think Tauren or Night Elves deserve those titles over Trolls and Dreanei. Taurens are rather easy. Yes, they have the whole wise, peaceful, native thing going, but being wise and peaceful doesn't necessarily make them more spiritual, at least in comparison to trolls. Again, even Dreanei and Tauren don't consider everything a spiritual endeavor. Troll Voodoo very much blurs the line, affecting deity, natural, and arcane magic, infecting things such as alchemy and being ingrained to the point where mages and shaman perform and teach together.

Night Elves are harder. Firstly, they're a double theocracy. Both sides of society technically bent in eternal penance to the protection of nature. Dreanei only win out because they are actually striving to something, being active not reactive. Its also something everybody in some way is concerned with, even mages. Night Elves have kind just spent a lot of time existing, especially the citizenry.

Trolls win out because they're devotional while Night Elves are more often inwardly contemplative. A Night Elf smith can seek out ingredients, study the tigers, and think about the natural song metal makes when he's hammer a glaive, but you can contest whether that spiritual or not. The Troll's sword on the other hand, literally has the spirit of a tiger in it.
Edited by Qreslix on 4/14/2012 8:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
04/14/2012 08:50 PMPosted by Qreslix
Which race is the most religious and which race is the most spiritual. To playable races, I think we have three major contestants; Draenei, Tauren, Night Elves, and Trolls.
Remember guys, draenei do not count. They get no lore what-so-ever. That's why he's accurate when he says 3 races!

OT: I personally think Draenei are the most spiritual/religious. They serve the light without question and for the most part have not strayed from it while fleeing for a millenia from the Burning Legion. That takes some serious faith right there.
Edited by Lazyguide on 4/14/2012 11:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Mage
04/14/2012 11:34 PMPosted by Lazyguide
Remember guys, draenei do not count. They get no lore what-so-ever. That's why he's accurate when he says 3 races!

/thread
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
04/14/2012 08:50 PMPosted by Qreslix
Trolls win out because they're devotional while Night Elves are more often inwardly contemplative. A Night Elf smith can seek out ingredients, study the tigers, and think about the natural song metal makes when he's hammer a glaive, but you can contest whether that spiritual or not. The Troll's sword on the other hand, literally has the spirit of a tiger in it.

If you look at a lot of the art for glaives and umbra crescents, as well as Night Elf armor, you see the moon (and circle, to represent the full moon) are well inlaid in them. Night Elves cannot put their god into their weapon, so to speak, but they pay tribute to her in many ways.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest
i think all the races have things they worship:

Humans: Light

Orcs: Elements

Dwarves: Titans

Trolls: spirits

Gnomes: Technology

Tauren: Earthmother/ cenarius

Night Elves: Elune/cenarius

foresaken: shadow/ sylvanas

Dreanei: Light

Blood Elves: light

Worgen: ????

goblin: Money??
Edited by Holybeard on 4/15/2012 6:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
i think all the races al have things they worship:

Humans: Light

Orcs: Elements

Dwarves: Titans

Trolls: spirits

Gnomes: Technology

Tauren: Earthmother/ cenarius

Night Elves: Elune/cenarius

foresaken: shadow/ sylvanas

Dreanei: Light

Blood Elves: light

Worgen: ????

Maybe, but we're going for the most religious/spiritual.
Reply Quote
Draenei take that title. They are the most spiritual for the Naaru gave them comfort and connection to the light.
Reply Quote
04/15/2012 08:00 AMPosted by Kinria
Draenei take that title. They are the most spiritual for the Naaru gave them comfort and connection to the light.

No they are the most RELIGIOUS. Spiritualism and Religion intercede but are not the same thing. Spiritualism believes that everything has a spirit and as such tries to pay respect to them. Religion has a central figure/figures.

Trolls pay homage to every spirit, Draenei worship the light.
Edited by Silnroz on 4/16/2012 8:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
04/16/2012 08:40 PMPosted by Silnroz

No they are the most RELIGIOUS. Spiritualism and Religion intercede but are not the same thing. Spiritualism believes that everything has a spirit and as such tries to pay respect to them. Religion has a central figure/figures.

Trolls pay homage to every spirit, Draenei worship the light.

Draenei are not religious.

They do not have a religion, they just have a faith in the Light.

Plus, they are friends with the Naaru who are basically "the light".
Reply Quote
04/15/2012 06:39 AMPosted by Holybeard

If this is valid the Draenei may have a serious competitor in this.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
The draenei are not a theocracy. For them, the Light is not a religion, but quite literally a way of life. It's a tangible force. They are, however, very spiritual. The night elves, on the other hand... Now they're a theocracy.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
04/17/2012 12:14 AMPosted by Vegdrasil
It's a tangible force

I fail to see how that takes out the religious aspect, how does the constant reality of it make it irreligious? If so then Trolls aren't spiritual on the same grounds. If fact negates faith then hardly anyone is for that matter.

Do draenei not talk of faith? Do they not have sermons? Do they not have anchorites, monks, and rituals?

04/17/2012 12:14 AMPosted by Vegdrasil
The night elves, on the other hand... Now they're a theocracy.

So the Dreanei are led by a priest and the Night Elves are led by a Priest but somehow the Draenei are not a theocracy.

/boggle
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
The draenei do not worship anything. Including the Light.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
04/17/2012 12:56 AMPosted by Vegdrasil
The draenei do not worship anything. Including the Light.

But they do. In fact that is one of their taglines when you talk to them. Unless your disqualifying it on the basis that its not a deity based religion.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Blood Elves revere advancement through magic and the ability to acquire more of it. They don't worship the Light.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
I think the best answer would be Draenei, but after them I think Trolls, Tauren, Humans, and Night Elves are all pretty similar in their devotion to their theologies. Orcs would be up there as well but with the shift towards Garrosh's mindset might reigns supreme as opposed to the wisdom of the Shaman.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Do Draenei really count though?They put their faith in the Naaru, yes.But the Naaru are physical entities. They are present. They really haven't forgotten the Draenei.

So wouldn't it be more accurate to say that the Draenei put their faith in the path the Naaru have chosen for them?

That's not much different than putting your faith in a mortal leader.

It just doesn't seem like there's anything overly spiritual about it. Do the Draenei really have to sit and pray to these guys? They meditate(or at least Velen does), so I suppose that's pretty spiritual.

They preach the teachings of the Naaru, that much is true. But heck, my Uncle preaches the paleo diet. People put their beliefs on you ALL the time.

All in all I would say, at least, the Tauren are more spiritual than the Draenei. The Tauren never really see the Earthmother. They attribute all the land to her, and many other things.

In summary, the Draenei need not question their faith in the Naaru because the Naaru are there. But the Tauren don't see the Earthmother and still they attribute so many things to her. So wouldn't the race that has no proof be the more spiritual race, for their faith is greater?
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Spirituality doesn't necessarily rely on not being able to see what you worship. Worship of nature and meditation on its serenity is also considered spirituality. I'd say as far as spirituality is concerned, Tauren and Draenei are pretty close and one is more spiritual depending on your outlook.

Being able to see the Naaru has nothing to do with Draenei spirituality. They very often meditate on the tenants of the Light, they are more concerned with the inner peace and immaterial values of life.

I'd say they're the most religious as well, given that their religion is active in every aspect of their life, and more often than not they are intensely devoted to said religion. Night elves are also highly religious, but many of them also follow druidism which isn't strictly a religion.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
What, then, is the draenei's religion?
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Organized worship of the Holy Light and its workings.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]