Rping and Raiding

Is mentioning that your were one of the people to take down a raid boss, such as, "So you fought against Deathwing. Were you there at the Maelstrom, where he was taken down?"

"Yes, the spray of ocean made the rock slippery, aspects looming over us, I fired arrow after arrow at him. I thought he would never go down, yet with Thrall and the aspects, out goal was accomplished."

I don't mean a scenario like, "I slaughtered the Lich King, snapped his neck and watched as he tumbled to the ground."

Please if some body could help here, that would be great.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I would probably suggest that you hang your roleplaying on something that's less specific and more general. Fighting against the Scourge, or the Twilight Cults, that can work, because they were both all over the place.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Raiding in general... it's not really recommended, same with dungeons / quests and the like.

Although you can say your character was there...

For example, Waraila fought on Quel'danas during the war against the burning legion there, however she was a simple messenger / scout at the time so wasn't really that involved in the fighting. Her most useful function was ferrying orders between random units until she was put out of action by a stray 'allied' arrow.

This kind of thing works because in a warzone such as Quel'danas, you have plenty of fighting on the ground that doesn't really touch on the actual ingame events but it is implied that it is there. Another example would be ICC.... It's a given that there would be a mass battle of troops around the entryway / lower floors which opens characters to being 'there' but not actually taking ingame canon as player canon.
Reply Quote
Ok cool. Thanks.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
My guild raids and incorporates part of those encounters into its roleplay. However, we are very careful, and keep the plot points generalized.

For instance, after completing BWD, one of my guildmates improvised a rather hilarious scene of dragging a black dragon's head to Theramore (where the guild heals, trains and relaxes). How he managed to get it there was kept a humorous mystery, and our characters exchanged banter about what to do with the hide, teeth, horns, etc.

Somehow the scene ended with strapping the head to a ballista and... well, you can imagine what happened from there.

The identity was simply kept as "a black dragon," not Nefarian or Onyxia themselves. The Templars delved into Blackrock Mountain and did indeed uncover some horrific Black Dragonflight experiments, but we never ICly claimed the boss kill. The Generic Black Dragon, for instance, was described as a lieutenant of sorts, a dragon of far lesser rank but still nonetheless dangerous.

So raid in-character, sure. But as you described in your post, don't claim the final kill for any boss.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
04/19/2012 10:39 PMPosted by Vincentus
Stupid question: What if you have a realm first title? I mean. I was the first guy to kill him ever. I'm pretty sure I was there.

Doesn't apply to roleplaying... players aren't classed as canon in lore
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
04/19/2012 11:55 PMPosted by Waraila
Stupid question: What if you have a realm first title? I mean. I was the first guy to kill him ever. I'm pretty sure I was there.

Doesn't apply to roleplaying... players aren't classed as canon in lore

This.

Our characters aren't strong enough lore-wise or RP-wise to take on Deathwing. If you notice for the first time ever Blizzard actually followed their own lore and had Thrall, with the Dragon Soul killing Deathwing. All we did was handle the corruption seeping out of him and weaken him to a degree. But even that we can't do.

All we can say our characters did is join the Dragonflights and the Earthen Ring in the defense of Wyrmrest Temple against the Twlights Hammer and the Minions of Deathwing/Old Gods.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
"I helped kill Algalon."I was there with the group of characters that killed him first and have a title to prove it. We assisted the NPCs in their kill, even though there weren't any NPCs in the room. I'm not saying I did it by myself.

You. Can't. Say. That.

What part of that being OP and gary-sue do you not get? Your character isn't a lore character. Algalon is a powerful entity sent by the Titans. I don't care how many "heroes" you mustered you'd all die! Algalon got beat by Lore characters not by a bunch of "heroes."

Quit saying that.

04/20/2012 12:37 PMPosted by Vincentus
Which is funny because the dragons are constantly "It's up to you to defeat this menace again, Heroes!" throughout the entire instance. I'm pretty sure if we weren't strong enough to take on a dragon, we wouldn't have been thrown in there to do it. Thrall got the last shot, sure, but we did all the leg work.

Lore wise we did not, now stop saying that. Lore wise Thrall and the Aspects did it. In game is not lore.

In game does not compute to RP and vice versa. NOW QUIT!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
04/20/2012 12:50 PMPosted by Ashokk

/hug calm down :P

We don't want more corpses made round here ... we have enough already over in that corner...

Which is funny because the dragons are constantly "It's up to you to defeat this menace again, Heroes!" throughout the entire instance. I'm pretty sure if we weren't strong enough to take on a dragon, we wouldn't have been thrown in there to do it. Thrall got the last shot, sure, but we did all the leg work.

Doesn't matter. As I stated in my previous post... we, the players, are NOT canon to the lore... which means we can't state we did something in a major lore event as that would be mary/gary sue to the extreme. It's on par with saying you're the secret lovechild of Arthas and Jaina. Or you're a super sayan vampire that sparkles everywhere.

As roleplayers we have to keep a sense of perspective when it comes to interacting with the game world and lore. If everyone who roleplayed went with what they did ingame as incharacter lore then everyone and their pet monkey will have killed C'thun / nefarian / arthas etc ... when in truth they did not lorewise. Arthas was taken down lorewise by Tirion alone... only he was there to see what happened to Bolvar, us players were not.. so lorewise and incharacter we wouldn't have the slightest clue other than Tirion returned victorious.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Also Algalon was never killed he was only defeated, but yeah in RP it is a big sign of a gary/mary sue character.
Reply Quote
Best way to RP raids is take off everything but your weapons, or go with white ones, then see how far you get. Or perhaps you helped defeat the generals of DW I.E. Morchok, Hagara, with the help of the other NPCs. Plus, as Lore goes, technically the people that actually kill said final boss are those that do it right before new xpac launch.

Also, just because my characters achievements and transmogs say I killed Frostlord Ahune, doeesn't mean lore-wise my character did. I at most can say my rp title is Frostlord, because there has been no other mage skilled in Frost magic to outdo me, according to the citizens of UC.
Reply Quote
84 Troll Shaman
04/20/2012 12:50 PMPosted by Ashokk
"I helped kill Algalon."I was there with the group of characters that killed him first and have a title to prove it. We assisted the NPCs in their kill, even though there weren't any NPCs in the room. I'm not saying I did it by myself.

You. Can't. Say. That.

What part of that being OP and gary-sue do you not get? Your character isn't a lore character. Algalon is a powerful entity sent by the Titans. I don't care how many "heroes" you mustered you'd all die! Algalon got beat by Lore characters not by a bunch of "heroes."

Quit saying that.

Lore wise we did not, now stop saying that. Lore wise Thrall and the Aspects did it. In game is not lore.

i was just lookin around on the rp forum cuz i dont really get it, but you sound like a nerd stuck in a fairy tale. dont have to get so anal about trivial things
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
04/20/2012 09:15 PMPosted by Vincentus
In game does not compute to RP and vice versa.

In-game IS lore, FYI. It's the story that Blizzard creates for the players to work their characters around. By saying what you did, you're trying to tell me that my character essentially doesn't exist.

I disagree, sir.

In lore, you don't exist. And neither do I or the rest of us. Just to flip this around, you're trying to claim ownership of something that a lot of players go through. Which is not much different than someone trying to claim ownership of say, Stormwind Cathedral. I don't really care if you were the first in your server, your server is not the only one out there.

Or to put it this way, there's personal reality and lore reality. In your personal reality, you can revel in your triumphs as much as you want. But that personal reality only overlaps with the shared lore reality. It's not one to one.

In game is not totally lore. If it were, Warlocks would be chased out of city streets the first time they walked around with a Demon in tow. We wouldn't be still fighting endless battles of Warsong Gulch after the Silverwings were defeated and totally wiped out in lore. We wouldn't be able to walk across Kalimdor in an hour in lore. The game is at best, an abstraction of the world lore.
Edited by Drahliana on 4/21/2012 7:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
"I helped kill Algalon."

I was there with the group of characters that killed him first and have a title to prove it. We assisted the NPCs in their kill, even though there weren't any NPCs in the room. I'm not saying I did it by myself.

You were with Ensidia when they killed him? I believe they did it first, IIRC.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
"I was there when Deathwing died, tentacles and all. I'm still washing this... Gunk? Out of my hair and it's been three days! What the hell is this stuff? I mean seriously, one second he's a majestic, powerful dragon, and the next second he's an enraged Neltharimari? I get grasped by a tentacle because I didn't jump fast enough with my friends and he just squirts this gunk all over me. Ugh. And my friends will never let me live this down either. Oh that shaman that Deathwing squirted himself all over, they say. Really, I mean I spent all this time training in the arts of Shamanism, rally to the call to help the new Earthwarden free Azeroth from the claws of Deathwing, and my reward is this? Well pardon me sir, I have another session awaiting me at the bathhouse, this stuff is coming off of me at any cost! Any cost! Ugh!"
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]