WOW: TCG Where do I begin?

100 Human Paladin
Hey Folks,

Was chatting with a friend the other day, and realized we wanted a good strategic 2 person game to play. I suggested the WOW:TCG, partly cause I've always been intrigued, and partly cause I want to luck into some phat lewt (haha).

Here's the thing, I literally have no idea where to begin, in looking at the Blizzard Store (which I assumed would be a good place to start) I see booster packs, booster boxes, DK started decks (if I got this would I only be playing DK's?!?), Raid decks, March of the Legion Starter Decks, Through the Dark Portal starter decks...Hell even play 'mats'.

Can anyone offer any insight? Imagine I'm a super-n00b, with no experience at all related to deck building games.

Do starter decks come with gameplay instructions? Do I need 2 starter packs for 2 people to play? Can 3-4 play at once with basic starter packs or would I need to get some kind of expansion? If I don't get a mat and just use a table will my cards blow all over the place?

Any help is appreciated.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
You're best bet is if you start off playing games like Yu gi oh or magic the gathering... i personally prefer yugioh a lot better but thats just me..

I am gonan think of this like yugioh and what i used to do when i wanted to have a new deck bought the structure deck for it and bought the packs that were about the same thing so I could have a 1 themed deck and afterwards flesh it out how you prefer with the cards from the booster packs bought (sorry for wall of text :x)
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Okay, the thing is though, which is the initial structure deck I should be looking for? Does it matter? If I just get any pack that says "Starter Deck" am I going to be able to play? If I get Through the Dark Portal instead of March of the Legion will I be playing some bizzare out-dated version?

I figure I'd give the basic game a try before I start spending money on something like boosters, but there's no clear...um...starter zone.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
best to start buying a starter deck. each starter deck works for one person so if you have friend you want to play with they need their own deck via there own starter or made up using booster packs. I do not think they have instructions in them but you could look them up. as far as blowing all over the table they shouldn't unless your normal playing cards do. Edit: the card game isn't really "outdated" with the older stuff they just can have different cards

Note: loot cards can only be found in booster packs
Edited by Lurus on 4/11/2012 8:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
http://www.wowtcg.com/how-play
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Your best option at this time is for both you and your friend to purchase one of the new(er) starter decks, also referred to as Champion Decks to some people. (Jaina, Sylvanas, Hogger, Murkdeep, Elderlimb). You can find a lot of info about these at:

http://www.wowtcg.com/products/champion-decks

Each deck contains a full 60 card deck, rules, quick-start rules, and a booster pack from Crown of the Heavens (most recent expansion). Both are playable right out of the box and will give you a good array of abilities, skills, equipment, and allies so you and your friend can have fun right away.

Once you have played a few times and have the rules down you might want to start adding some card to you existing deck through booster packs. In my opinion you should stick with the current block (set of 3 expansions) booster packs (Crown of the Heavens, Throne of Tides) though anything from the previous set is pretty cool as well (Twilight of Dragons, War of the Elements, Worldbreaker). All of these sets are themed around the Cataclysm World of Warcraft expansion and you will be familiar with lots of the names.

If you find a 3rd player (or if one of you doesnt mind playing 2 decks) I highly recommend picking up one of the dungeon decks for a different kind of challenge (Deadmines, Shadowfang Keep, Scarlet Monastery) these are really fun and allow you to form a team of three and work together to defeat the dungeon deck.....but before you do that learn the rules in a standard 2 person vs game.

All in all I think the game is very fun, it has a lot of similarities to many other card games out there like Magic, but with that WoW flare. In reality any cards you pick up are fine to play with friends, but as I said earlier if you want to just try the game at a low cost your best bet is to pick up the new champion decks or any class starter deck for around $10-$12.

http://www.wowtcg.com/products/class-starter-deck

You can find a lot of these online or you can go to your local hobby store and even places like Walmart and Target sometimes stock them.
Reply Quote
27 Gnome Rogue
Sorry, I can't help you, I throw the cards into a box or my desk drawer when there is no loot. I never thought of playing the card game.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
I love the TCG. It's quite easy to pick up and play but really in depth too. As stated the starter decks are great place to start. Choose your class and go. I would also suggest buying one dungeon deck. The dungeon decks are a co-operative challenge and quite fun. They are made to start with starter decks and then your deck "levels" up through achievements and killing certain monsters in the dungeon deck. Avoid the raid decks until you know you like the game and have atleast 4 players. The raid decks are quite hard and require more people to play.

Buying cards separately is usually cheaper but not as fun as cracking open a booster. For a comprehensive list of cards with a good search filter use www.tcgbrowser.com

The card game changed hands from Upperdeck to Cryptozoic just last year I think it was. Crypto has been doing a great job with it so far and keep expanding on it as well.
Reply Quote
04/11/2012 09:10 AMPosted by Yebbie
Sorry, I can't help you, I throw the cards into a box or my desk drawer when there is no loot. I never thought of playing the card game.

Me neither: http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/3944/wartable1.jpg
Reply Quote
27 Gnome Rogue

I love it!!!

I wish I could be that creative.
Reply Quote
04/11/2012 09:24 AMPosted by Yebbie

I love it!!!

Folding table, sheet of thin plexiglass (call your hardware store, they'll cut it to size), six screws, and glue.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
You're best bet is if you start off playing games like Yu gi oh or magic the gathering... i personally prefer yugioh a lot better but thats just me..

I am gonan think of this like yugioh and what i used to do when i wanted to have a new deck bought the structure deck for it and bought the packs that were about the same thing so I could have a 1 themed deck and afterwards flesh it out how you prefer with the cards from the booster packs bought (sorry for wall of text :x)

If you ever go to the yu gi oh tournament please know that us magic card players are mocking you.
Reply Quote
I still play magic, I have such a huge collection now (started playing way back in alpha when I was just a kid) that it takes up most of the room in the walk in closet I have in my 'office' at home.

That said, I have not been able to get into the Wow card game, I have a few decks I have purchased, and a box of boosters, and all the promo cards that always come with collectors editions and blizzcon cards but... Can't get into it. Dunno. Awesome art though, thats pretty much why I keep buying the cards even though I don't play. Love the art.

/tangent
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Posted by Yebbie
Me neither: http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/3944/wartable1.jpgI love it!!!

Folding table, sheet of thin plexiglass (call your hardware store, they'll cut it to size), six screws, and glue.

How many decks is that? My wife wants a coffee table and her birthday is coming up. I could surprise her with a wow table and a few loot cards :D
Edited by Reveries on 4/11/2012 9:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Awesome, thanks everyone! Calib especially, that's exactly the info I was looking for.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
04/11/2012 09:28 AMPosted by Reveries
How many decks is that? My wife wants a coffee table and her birthday is coming up. I could surprise her with a wow table and a few loot cards :D

If you have some already you could measure the size of the card and then figure out how many you would need for the size of the table you're making.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
I've also been looking at possibly getting into the TCG, my question is what is a good online shop to buy decks and boosters from? there aren't really any local shops close by that I know of that sell them.
Reply Quote
Posted by Yebbie

Honestly I don't know... I would just buy a deck every once in a while to check for loot cards and admire the art.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
04/11/2012 09:45 AMPosted by Jinja
I've also been looking at possibly getting into the TCG, my question is what is a good online shop to buy decks and boosters from? there aren't really any local shops close by that I know of that sell them.

check out:

warcraftgamingcenter.com
themetamart.com
mtgfanatic.com
trollandtoad.com
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]