I want to start PVP

85 Human Paladin
but I barely make enough gold to buy resilience gear in gold do I just go ahead and queue and save up Honor for some decent pvp gear or what?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Just go. Don't charge forward, don't linger behind. Stay near the middle of the groups. Pretend you are a baby buffalo. If you stray, the wolves are going to eat you.

Make sure you try and get into BH runs, the more gear you can get to drop the better off you are. When you buy pieces, start with two of shoulder/helm/chest then save for the weapon.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Take it from someone who just did the fresh-from-0 PvP grind, don't watse your time. Last time I PvP'd was about 2-3 months ago and Pallys were unkillable machines so I figured I would join the club. WRONG. Any DK or Rogue that even looks at you is gonna bend you ever like a Japanese schoolgirl in an anime movie. PvP right now, at least for me, is a frustrating mess. DKs and Rogues are everywhere being what I assume are the FOTM classes and they require little to no skill to take you down and you are helpless against it.

Don't waste your time, roll a Druid/Shaman healer, or Disc Priest and save yourself the emotional pain.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Personally, I lament the fact that my random BGs are often filled under-geared players (under-geared meaning not having at least resilience crafted gear.) I like to play to win, but it is difficult to make up for a number of new, learning players who don't have the gear yet.

If you must grind honor in order to build a resilience set, then be ready for complete frustration. You will die frequently, and often you won't even have a chance to build your PvP skills because it will happen so fast. Additionally, your team is likely to be handed their back-sides if you are accompanied with other under-geared individuals.

Once you get a full set of resilience gear, it obviously gets better, but then you'll be spending the bulk of your BG time compensating for other under-geared players.

Ultimately, if you can take the frustration that comes with dying and losing often, and if you can take the snarky or sometimes mean-sprited comments about you, your gear, your skills, your server, your gear, your mother, or any other thing players can think of to get you to rage-quit, then go for it.
Edited by Callistos on 4/13/2012 7:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Yeah trus tme man i know how ya feel starting out. When i started this seaason had 0 ret gear and was all holy gear. When i started out i got a 2 hander of the action house (green) and went at it. I ground out as much ruthless as i could before the season started and the rest of the gear i did have ret pvp i bought the bloodthirsty stuff off the ah. And got full ruthless and capped every week and did BH runs EVERY week. And now im full cata in ret, now starting a holy set with 3 pieces of cata in that already. At this point with full cataclysmic I just go from target to target slaughtering the backpeddlers. Most of the time i dont even both er with the objective of winning cause everyone knows its more fun making horde feel bad cause they got 3 shot by my wings.
Edited by Unicornslayr on 4/13/2012 10:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Turn off BG chat and just go in. It's not the end of the world because someone lost a BG or two. Besides, a BG RARELY hinges on a single undergeared player.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Take it from someone who just did the fresh-from-0 PvP grind, don't watse your time. Last time I PvP'd was about 2-3 months ago and Pallys were unkillable machines so I figured I would join the club. WRONG. Any DK or Rogue that even looks at you is gonna bend you ever like a Japanese schoolgirl in an anime movie. PvP right now, at least for me, is a frustrating mess. DKs and Rogues are everywhere being what I assume are the FOTM classes and they require little to no skill to take you down and you are helpless against it.

Don't waste your time, roll a Druid/Shaman healer, or Disc Priest and save yourself the emotional pain.

DKs don't kill paladins lol. Maybe holy paladins, but not rets.

All rogues have the tools to kill just about everyone, good rogues will kill everyone. That's not entirely a player issue, but if you play well you can win.

Both DKs and rogues are much more lethal against priests and resto druids (loldruids). Shaman aren't usually a problem either from what I've seen. So.. I wouldn't recommend them over a paladin soley based on how strong rogues or DKs are, at least when it comes to random BGs.

@OP - The PVP grind is just that: a grind. You just need to go in there and try to farm as much honor as you can per game. Eventually you will have all the gear you need but it will take time. You're going to die a lot in the beginning, but you need to accept that and keep going.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
04/13/2012 08:36 PMPosted by Unicornslayr
Most of the time i dont even both er with the objective of winning cause everyone knows its more fun making horde feel bad cause they got 3 shot by my wings.

Yes, everyone likes killing fresh 85s. Personally I don't waste wings on undergeared people but I can see the fun in it.

04/13/2012 11:14 PMPosted by Aevrille
Turn off BG chat and just go in. It's not the end of the world because someone lost a BG or two. Besides, a BG RARELY hinges on a single undergeared player.

^^ Don't let others make you feel bad for being undergeared. Everyone has to start somewhere. Unless half your team is naked bots and you're one of them, you will never be the sole reason they lose.

Also agreeing with turning off BG chat. People get mad about stupid stuff and they say stupid things. You're better off not paying attention to them.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

DKs are worse than Paladins right now vs Melee.

Rogues, Warriors and Ferals absolutely tear them apart.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
04/14/2012 02:18 PMPosted by Magniir
You're better off waiting until the expansion hits, rather than wasting weeks of your time and energy getting pvp gear you'll then replace months later.

By that logic no one should ever collect gear lol. Every tier and season lasts a few months. If you've got time, you might as well make the most of it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/14/2012 02:18 PMPosted by Magniir
You're better off waiting until the expansion hits, rather than wasting weeks of your time and energy getting pvp gear you'll then replace months later.
You have insider info to the MoP launch?!

Last time I PvP'd was about 2-3 months ago and Pallys were unkillable machines so I figured I would join the club. WRONG.

Yeah, don't do what this guy did. If you're playing for the sake of FotM and what feels powerful, well, all you'll be doing is frustrating yourself when your class gets spanked sideways in nerfs.

That being said, if you have fun playing as Ret, then you'll have fun grinding up for the PvP gear. Make sure you read the stickies, gem and spec properly, and just go in and, quite literally, learn to play. You'll learn what works for you and what doesn't, and you'll enjoy that boost you get when you get a new piece of gear.Also, think about converting Justice to Honor if you want to gear up fast but want to break up the monotony of BGs.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

The OP is talking about ret. A ret vs a dk a ret would win if they are the same skill and gear, in fact a ret less skilled than a dk can kill one that's more skilled than them. Rogues it takes a lot of skill and practice to beat one, but most classes have troubles with them anyways. And looking at your gear it's not the best either, 3.5k resilience and some blues.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior

I wouldnt suggest rolling a druid healer/disc priest if your already a holy pally. Both those classes/specs are even more susceptible to being trained/torn apart by dks, rogues AND warriors. If fact holy pallies are by far one of the more resilient bg healers when geared, you can litterally tank ppl all day if your somewhat proficient at fake casting and managing cool downs. The only time you'll really drop is if multiple ppl actually focus fire you.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Just go with the flow. We all have to start somewhere in the pvp world. True your going to get owned pretty hard starting out in basic gear. It happens to the best of us. I was able to make me some starting pvp gear so it helped out with the damage somewhat. Once you start getting better gear you'll have an easier time surviving. I always like the challenge of working my way to get better gear.

Edit: I'm a holy pally and it takes me a long time to go down. If your in trouble call out to your team mates to come help peel for you. I have a feral druid and he gets torn apart by dk's and rogues. I prefer playing this guy more because it feels like I'm actually contributing to the team.
Edited by Gormalee on 4/16/2012 7:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Run regular randoms to get justice points, convert them to honor and get your pvp gear that way. Better yet, run heroics and get valor and convert those to conquest.
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
you guys act like its actually hard to get pvp gear
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Random bg is not a heroic or raid. weather you are geared or not random bg will end one way or another. Yeah, ppl will bash you for having a bad gear or not., but they'll not kick you like heroic/raid. So, my advise is just ignore other ppl whom are trying to bash you and play your game.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah I was in a BG last night and before the bg even started one of the guys mentioned: "I see a lot of players with low hp. We're gonna lose". I'm like:"Nice way to stay positive".
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Just don't rush in too much, stay with the group and you'll get it pretty fast (depending on how much play time you can get).... do randoms so this way you'll get bonus points for playing.

if you don't have much gear you are better off by simply driving vehicles in battle grounds, and doing all the tasks where your gear isn't an issue. it gets more fun that way, otherwise you'll get dropped by geared players in seconds. I still get hit by mage ice bolts for 60k, not fun if you are on a receiving end.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]