Heroics

85 Blood Elf Priest
I just finished healing my first spat of heroics. They lived up to their name, making me reconsider healing as a whole. I'm hoping, selfishly, it was more of an issue with the other players than myself. I'm no stranger to Holy healing and I've never struggled to find my priority structure. Although, I will admit that I use Divine Hymn on trash more than on bosses.

I'd like an evaluation of gear and talents to see if I'm yet ready for heroics, but, honestly, my spec is cookie cutter and I have maybe two more pieces of normal gear to grind for. Chanting and gemming is also just going to eat all my monies, as gear will come and go.

Was it really this hard for everyone else?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Your spec really isn't cookie cutter. I would really recommend this for Holy starting out dungeons: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/talent-calculator#Xc01!Yj!SQhhedgWYTd!j!aZTSklOo

Note: if Glyph of CoH is really a mana drain, then swap it with something else. However, you shouldn't be typically using CoH on CD in dungeons.

Something else to remember is that a lot of random 5 man dungeon groups these days absolutely are horrid. Players cruise them so quickly they do not bother to look at the dungeon journal/external websites and as such just stand in all sorts of bad things. Luckily, they have been nerfed so most of the bad can be healed through BUT that doesn't make your job easier.

Friendly reminders to the groups like "remember not to stand in the fire" or "please interrupt x spell on trash mobs. it helps a lot!" should make your job smoother.

I recommend getting an addon like BigBrother (http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info17375-BigBrotherNebEdition.html) so you can output to yourself (or group if you so chose) who is interrupting, taunting, or breaking CC.

If heroic dungeons are too much of a challenge, there is no shame in stepping back and getting more ilvl 333 gear from normal dungeons. Hey it even gives Justice now!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Everything looks okay (though what Ash said about the spec is correct). You might try hitting up the AH to see if there's any cheap gear upgrades available, and if you have any other toons on the server who can buy JP/VP gear for here that would be advisable.

You should also make sure to work on your rep with Hyjal and Therazane.

Like I said, though, it looks like you're good to go. Some groups make healing a nightmare. You may find some information/help in here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3595673916?page=1#11

If you do, please upvote the posts and request a sticky. :D
Edited by Elethia on 4/14/2012 10:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
You got Grim Butthole, didn't you? It's okay, that place sucks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I gave up healing PVE at the start of Cata. In WOTLK, it's all I did...a little on my priest and mainly on my Shaman. It was just too ridiculous, for me, to spam a long heal that barely felt like it was healing anything or go OOM.

If healing were more fun, or didn't get punished so badly by bad players in the group or poorly geared tanks, I would probably heal more.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
When I first started Heroics, I went Disc first. Seemed a lot of people went the other way.

I use:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/talent-calculator#Xc01!Yj!SQhbeahWVTd!j!eThSkPlO
(insert whatever Prime Glyph in the empty spot)

I found for 5 man, I just used Renew on the tank, and then kept it going with Holy Word: Serenity. So Divine Touch and Rapid Renewal weren't the right talents for 5 man dungeons.

You can save a lot of mana by just putting Renew on the Tank, casting Holy Word: Serenity, and spamming heal. That will cause your Surge of Light to proc once in a while to give you a free flash heal, and then you can use Greater Heal or Prayer of Healing before the Serendipity boost wears out.

that - and see if you can get some cheap enchants.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
04/14/2012 10:54 AMPosted by Ashleycakez
However, you shouldn't be typically using CoH on CD in dungeons.

Really? I think its my 3rd most used spell. I also dont get the glyph, if it heals 5 people, why add another person for 20% extra mana? Surge of light was always a pathetic talent, but now that I actually have to cast to finish an instance, I'll put some points in there. I dont much understand why I'd put many points into mental agility, as my only instants are fairly cheap.

04/14/2012 10:56 AMPosted by Elethia
Everything looks okay (though what Ash said about the spec is correct).

As much as respect the opinion of Ashleycakez and Elethia (Kind of an honor to have such big priest names responding to my thread :3) I have to agree with Feythylan -

I found for 5 man, I just used Renew on the tank, and then kept it going with Holy Word: Serenity. So Divine Touch and Rapid Renewal weren't the right talents for 5 man dungeons.

Although, I do argue against his rotation. I used it in Vanilla, BC, and Wrath, but it wont work for Cata.

04/14/2012 11:00 AMPosted by Naokazu
You got Grim Butthole, didn't you? It's okay, that place sucks.

I had the same group for my first two heroics: HoO and Grim. Its clear they didnt know what they were doing, but I still blamed myself for the frequent deaths. I kind of felt like a raid leader, explaining fights, calling out adds and GALE STACK.

I think my issue is that I dont have the gear or skill to carry anyone yet, so I rely on their skill and gear to, in a sense, carry me!

Note: My successive heroics have been easy - dare I say faceroll.

Thanks to everyone for the help. It was invaluable!
I'd also like to add that I have the Cleric's Codex bookmarked, but didnt refer to it in my time of need! XD
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
04/14/2012 02:41 PMPosted by Eradoria
if it heals 5 people, why add another person for 20% extra mana?

The best benefit is in raids, but in 5 mans there is always the potential for a pesky pet to soak a charge when you actually need it on all 5 players.

Although, I do argue against his rotation. I used it in Vanilla, BC, and Wrath, but it wont work for Cata.

I'm so confused by this. Holy Priests did not have the Chakra ability to keep Renew rolling on a target. Why wouldn't you play with this now? Why do you claim it doesn't work now but worked before?

I dont much understand why I'd put many points into mental agility, as my only instants are fairly cheap.

Every bit of mana you save adds up. It might not matter in a 5 man where the most you may be casting is the occasional Renew on a dps who keeps taking damage (and refreshing it with single target heals), but even then it will add up. HW: Serenity should pretty much be used on CD since it is so short now. You can keep Renew up on a single target solely using that. Weave in some Heal/Greater Heal as needed on a target.
Edited by Ashleycakez on 4/14/2012 2:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
04/14/2012 02:50 PMPosted by Ashleycakez
The best benefit is in raids, but in 5 mans there is always the potential for a pesky pet to soak a charge when you actually need it on all 5 players.

I figured this was what you meant, but that extra 20% would be taxing.

I'm so confused by this. Holy Priests did not have the Chakra ability to keep Renew rolling on a target. Why wouldn't you play with this now? Why do you claim it doesn't work now but worked before?

Haha. I'm a Cata baby - when I referred to Van, BC, and Wrath, I was referring to the content, not the x-pacs. I honestly havent had the time to heal spam in Cata. Between various cds, I may be able to get a few heals on a few people before I go back to Serenity or CoH or refresh PoM or something. Heal spam is kind of hard to pull off.

Every bit of mana you save adds up

Upon reflecting my talent choices, I honestly believe this to be true. Thanks for the explaination - obvious though it may have seemed!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Remember you can always heal with Inner Will (more mana reduction on instant casts) if you really find yourself having mana trouble, although this is usually better suited for raiding since HW: Sanctuary's cost gets significantly dropped with Inner Will up.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
04/14/2012 03:07 PMPosted by Ashleycakez
Remember you can always heal with Inner Will (more mana reduction on instant casts) if you really find yourself having mana trouble, although this is usually better suited for raiding since HW: Sanctuary's cost gets significantly dropped with Inner Will up.

I just looked up a inner will vs. inner fire thread about an hour ago. Kind of dated, but the information was similar: inner fire, unless you are moving about or having mana issues. Also, I didnt think HW:S was an instant. Thought it had a fraction of a second cast time.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Keep in mind, Eradoria, that you can drop Renew on non-tanks as well—and that it's sometimes better to do that than to cast a heal or use CoH. I did just peek at the spec again, though, and I might suggest SoR over RR.

The merit for RR only exists when you'll be using Renew frequently enough to make use of that reduced CD; of course, this can also mean weaving Renew between other spells, rather than simply blanketing your group with Renew.

If you're using CoH frequently, which you seem to be doing, MA will help out. However, the reason I caution against using it too often is because triage is often better. Waiting for enough damage to be taken to use PoH is better than using CoH quickly; during heavy group damage, of course, you'll want to use both. During periodic group damage, you can do as I suggested earlier—keeping Renew on a few people and keeping it refreshed as needed/possible.

The basic rotation Fey offered should also work; for the most part, you should be able to keep a tank up using primarily Renew, Serenity and Heal. For heavier healing, Greater Heal steps in.

Sanc does have a cast time, but it's considered an instant.
Edited by Elethia on 4/14/2012 3:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
04/14/2012 03:13 PMPosted by Eradoria
Also, I didnt think HW:S was an instant. Thought it had a fraction of a second cast time.

It counts as instant. Its great in raid encounters where you find your mana isn't going as far as you feel comfortable with.
Edited by Ashleycakez on 4/14/2012 3:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Sorry, dont get to the forums much. I must thank you again for the help! As an aside, I must tell you that heroics got really easy. Almost suddenly. I think it has more to do with the quality of tanks, but the rotation and spec advice was helpful. Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
As crazy as this is going to sound, I think you'll have a much easier time in the ilvl 378 heroics than you will in the ilvl 346 heroics. Many people leveling up have just plowed through content and don't incorporate interrupts and the such, which ilvl 346 heroics require. Once you cross that threshold into current content, I think you'll be ok.

You may want to purchase ilvl 378 or 397 bracers and boots to help you cross over to a higher ilvl.

And you're right, the quality of tanks plays a significant role in your success.

Good luck.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
^ this

ZA/ZG/GB are easily the best 5mans in terms of required mechanics/player awareness.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Load up some PvP gear and skip all the Cataclysm heroics, do HoT heroics only. Better gear drops (all them purples!) and easier run, wished someone told me that when I was leveling/gearing my healer. :)

And yes, Cataclysm heroics are hard for everyone.

If you prefer to grind through them:
1. Max rep for both Therazane and Guardians of Hyjal. Then buy their best shoulder/head enchants. They're great.

2. Buy some potions, Ghost Elixir might be a good choice, 225 Spirit for 1 hour.

But really, just grab some PvP gears and skip to the HoT heroics. Your guild is level 25, there must be a tailor or 2 who can make those gears for you.
Reply Quote
04/14/2012 10:48 AMPosted by Eradoria
Was it really this hard for everyone else?

No, it was harder. Everyone was in 333 blues, and they hadn't nerfed the dungeons, and each heroic felt like a mini-raid.

You'll get better (and better geared).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]