War Time, a Rogues PvP guide (4.3) + FAQs

(Locked)

90 Undead Rogue
How good is 3/3 Cheat death? Ever since the nerf from 90% reduction to 80% I haven't really played around with it but I can see it being useful when your healer can't heal you fast enough and it saves you. I don't really do 3's and mainly just stick to 2's so I find that waylay does have a use besides the slow, it's also good on melee classes.

Should I just drop Waylay entirely and max CD even though I don't do 3's?

And lastly, what should I be doing if I get novaed and am stuck there for a good amount of time? Should I use deadly throw or start ranging them or just wait it out? I feel that the only time I can't beat a decent frost mage is when he novas and I don't CloS pre-emptively in order to stop it and get stuck in this CC not knowing what to do.
1 Human Rogue
04/25/2012 03:58 AMPosted by Tuorale
How good is 3/3 Cheat death? Ever since the nerf from 90% reduction to 80% I haven't really played around with it but I can see it being useful when your healer can't heal you fast enough and it saves you. I don't really do 3's and mainly just stick to 2's so I find that waylay does have a use besides the slow, it's also good on melee classes.

Its a must have talent in any arena setting, if you want waylay its best to drop 2 points from HaT for it.

04/25/2012 03:58 AMPosted by Tuorale
And lastly, what should I be doing if I get novaed and am stuck there for a good amount of time? Should I use deadly throw or start ranging them or just wait it out? I feel that the only time I can't beat a decent frost mage is when he novas and I don't CloS pre-emptively in order to stop it and get stuck in this CC not knowing what to do.

If its a duel popping a CD like vanish or cloak would be ideal. If out of CDs deadly throw/throw are your best options.

If in arena, deadlythrow or throw is better while waiting for a dispel. You dont want to go through your CDs too quickly in arenas.
Edited by Snozyisback on 4/25/2012 11:40 AM PDT
85 Undead Rogue
I can't find enough useful keybinds to make things like 4 different blind macros. :/ I have everything keybound. xD But.. 4 of one skill is different.
63 Draenei Shaman
question, any tips for staying behind your target for backstab?

I find it rather difficult, and I end up using hemmorrhage more then i probably should.
1 Human Rogue
04/25/2012 06:54 PMPosted by Silas
can't find enough useful keybinds to make things like 4 different blind macros. :/ I have everything keybound. xD But.. 4 of one skill is different.

This is how I have mine set up

Z = Set Focus Arena 1
X = Set Focus Arena 2
C = Set Focus Arena 3

Shift Z = Dismantle Arena 1
Shift X = Dismantle Arena 2
Shift C = Dismantle Arena 3

Ctrl Z = Blind Arena 1
Ctrl x = Blind Arena 2
Ctrl C = Blind Arena 3

Alt Z = Target Arena 1
Alt X = Target Arena 2
Alt C = Target Arena 3

Then I have a mousebutton bind for @ focus blind (also blinds target if no focus is set)
1 Human Rogue

I find it rather difficult, and I end up using hemmorrhage more then i probably should.

Do you keybind and mouse turn?
63 Draenei Shaman

Do you keybind and mouse turn?

Yes, I also use q/a to strafe while mouse turning, is that a no no?
1 Human Rogue
04/25/2012 09:44 PMPosted by Vikel

Strafing is fine. Do you run forward with W?
63 Draenei Shaman
04/25/2012 11:29 PMPosted by Snozyisback

Strafing is fine. Do you run forward with W?
Yes, I got used to it from playing my hunter, but I've been trying to start clicking both mouse buttons to move forward.
85 Undead Rogue
04/25/2012 09:44 PMPosted by Vikel

q/a seem like odd strafe keys to be honest. I know the default bind for strafe is q, and a defaults to strafe while mouse turning, but you should really just bind a to strafe all the time considering you never turn with the keyboard. Using two separate strafe keys for the same direction means your hand is sometimes positioned differently for the same action, resulting in inconsistent movements for your other binds. Muscle memory, and smooth transitions between abilities, are crucial.
63 Draenei Shaman

q/a seem like odd strafe keys to be honest. I know the default bind for strafe is q, and a defaults to strafe while mouse turning, but you should really just bind a to strafe all the time considering you never turn with the keyboard. Using two separate strafe keys for the same direction means your hand is sometimes positioned differently for the same action, resulting in inconsistent movements for your other binds. Muscle memory, and smooth transitions between abilities, are crucial.

That was a typo, I was on my phone and derped, i use q/e, sorry.
Edited by Vikel on 4/26/2012 9:38 PM PDT
1 Human Rogue
04/26/2012 04:16 AMPosted by Vikel
Yes, I got used to it from playing my hunter, but I've been trying to start clicking both mouse buttons to move forward.

I personaly strafe with A and D and use both mouse buttons to move. Some people like to use W.

Your best bet is to strafe around them or through them to get backstabs. You dont have to be directly behind them to get backstabs, just the rear 180 degrees
Edited by Snozyisback on 4/27/2012 1:14 AM PDT
I'm not sure if I am reading this wrong or not, I am really not trolling, please don't get defensive. But you are using the back stab glyph on the hemo build on your armory, but you specifically point out not to within the guide. Just wandering if there is a reason, as I attempt to start 3's myself? Great Guide Though! Well Done =)
10 Goblin Rogue
04/27/2012 10:25 AMPosted by Cryptyc
But you are using the back stab glyph on the hemo build on your armory, but you specifically point out not to within the guide.

That's what happens when you respec, but forget to reglyph.
1 Human Rogue
I'm not sure if I am reading this wrong or not, I am really not trolling, please don't get defensive. But you are using the back stab glyph on the hemo build on your armory, but you specifically point out not to within the guide. Just wandering if there is a reason, as I attempt to start 3's myself? Great Guide Though! Well Done =)

I change between Hemo and Backstab so much I forgot to swap glyphs :P

Thanks for noticing I forgot t ochange it
I just finished reading your guide and wanna thank you for all the great info. Just a quick question I am currently using the ruthless glad on use agi trink and the proc one. My question is from your guide it seemed like you were say the on use trink plus vial of shadows would be a better combo. I ask because I have the heroic vial of shadows and was wondering if i should be using it with my on use trink instead of the combo i have now.
1 Human Rogue
04/27/2012 11:48 AMPosted by Fyte
just finished reading your guide and wanna thank you for all the great info. Just a quick question I am currently using the ruthless glad on use agi trink and the proc one. My question is from your guide it seemed like you were say the on use trink plus vial of shadows would be a better combo. I ask because I have the heroic vial of shadows and was wondering if i should be using it with my on use trink instead of the combo i have now.

Onuse + Vial is only good as a Human because they have the free PvP trinket as a racial.

As a Worgen between Ruthless onuse and Heroic Vial I would be using Heroic Vial hands down.
10 Goblin Rogue
04/27/2012 12:07 PMPosted by Snozyisback
As a Worgen between Ruthless onuse and Heroic Vial I would be using Heroic Vial hands down.

Depends on the comp, imo.

The spread out damage from vial is awesome for comps like RLS, but when you're looking at burst comps like RMP or Thug Cleave, the on use becomes more important to have so you can boost your dance.

Now, if it was still pre-nerf, vial all the way.

Just my 2 copper, for whatever that's worth.
I have a lvl 69 rogue who wears two swords.They do more dmge but lacks the backstab.would it be better to stay with the swords or change up to daggers?Sometimes the others in bg can tank my finishing moves and then heal like the pallys can be tough.I just dont quite get through with the attacks all the time.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]