The State of the Cat Druid

1 Human Rogue
With cat druids getting the shaft in 4.3, and the look of their changes in MoP, it looks like there's really no reason to play them anymore. Anything we bring to the table, another class or spec does better. I've been denied from groups and guilds (despite excellent applications (in mine & others' opinions), mind you) based solely on the fact that they had no use for me. For any progression guild, cat druids are one of the least useful specs, which is frustrating considering how much time and effort I've put into mine. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel for us, or should I just roll that mage I've been considering for so long?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Agreed, MoP takes about half of the fun things about kitties and throws them out while providing very little new/fun things. I love my kitty, but I feel feral needs some decent ironing out as it is and instead we're being ignored, but if you've played feral long enough you know we've always been the red headed stepchild spec.

Personally, I'm practicing my boomkin rotation.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I quit.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Right. It brings nothing in returns.

We are not getting NS in forms to use any of our spells including cyclone
We dont get a ranged slow
We are certainly not getting a steroid CD + Shadow Dance equivalent
We dont get to choose between AoE disorient, AoE slow or an extra stun, in forms mind you.
And we are certainly not getting back our mobility back through root-breaks on shapeshifts.

Oh whats that? We are -not- getting the most amazingly "new/fun" level 87 spell ever designed?

Seriously, less QQ more PewPew... or RawrRawr, w/e
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
@Nikijih
Most of those reasons wont effect PvE (which is what OP is talking about)

We are not getting NS in forms to use any of our spells including cyclone. - not gonna play a huge role in PvE unless we lose Predatory Strikes...

We dont get a ranged slow - PvP

We are certainly not getting a steroid CD + Shadow Dance equivalent - Not sure if this be used in PvE at all, as Shred > Ravage (atm) So I think if they stay the same then Soul of the Forest will be better. Free energy and all. But we will see how shred vs ravage changes.

We dont get to choose between AoE disorient, AoE slow or an extra stun, in forms mind you.
And we are certainly not getting back our mobility back through root-breaks on shapeshifts. - PVP and very very limited PvE, if at all.

Oh whats that? We are -not- getting the most amazingly "new/fun" level 87 spell ever designed? - We will see with this one. I am looking forward to it.

At the same time Kitty is by far the most fun (IMO) TBH the only thing I am sad about in MoP is losing my T13 bonuses :( I really hope we can reuse them :P
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I agree we should certainly all quit playing feral now because obviously the changes in MOP are completely final and will never be changed whatsoever and of course what plays on the beta is definitely how it's gonna be come live.

Seriously, can we save the "the sky is falling omg!" crap for at least launch?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I may quit my druid too with panda.

I cry because it was my favorite spec class since BC, i have a lot of macro to play quick between my two feral form, and all my gameplay are based beteen switching fast and use the best of my 2 forms (I do a lot of PvP and PVE off-tank/dps).

As feral, we lost so much defense cooldown that it seem that we will be realy easy to kill in pvp, but it think our heals are great now to compensate, but with no mana to cast it cause of mana regen issue (critical are low in panda for now).

And some strange desing are still here, like might of ursoc. It's hard to imagine a resto stop healing his group to go in bear form and use this kind of cooldown

I understand blizz splitting the spec for balancing issues, but it kills the class i love so much.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
04/12/2012 04:01 AMPosted by Sinderian
Seriously, can we save the "the sky is falling omg!" crap for at least launch?

By the time it's ready to launch, saying "I don't like this" is too little, too late.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
My problem with Cat is, is that virtually nothing has changed for PvE, and any issues we have with DPSing are being crudely "fixed" with Symbiosis, despite the fact that cats will be putting it on Warriors for Shattering Throw, or UH DKs for Unholy Frenzy for the best raid and personal DPS increases.

Tangedyn thinks I'm being too angry, but w/e. :P

It's a smaller reason why I'm taking back my tank position for MoP.
Edited by Reesi on 4/12/2012 7:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
TM
Reroll a mage. Dooo itttt.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Mages don't tank. o_o
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
@Nikijih
Most of those reasons wont effect PvE (which is what OP is talking about)

We are not getting NS in forms to use any of our spells including cyclone. - not gonna play a huge role in PvE unless we lose Predatory Strikes...

We dont get a ranged slow - PvP

We are certainly not getting a steroid CD + Shadow Dance equivalent - Not sure if this be used in PvE at all, as Shred > Ravage (atm) So I think if they stay the same then Soul of the Forest will be better. Free energy and all. But we will see how shred vs ravage changes.

And we are certainly not getting back our mobility back through root-breaks on shapeshifts. - PVP and very very limited PvE, if at all.

Oh whats that? We are -not- getting the most amazingly "new/fun" level 87 spell ever designed? - We will see with this one. I am looking forward to it.

At the same time Kitty is by far the most fun (IMO) TBH the only thing I am sad about in MoP is losing my T13 bonuses :( I really hope we can reuse them :P

Well to be completely fair, there is a tendency with the new talents to have utility more then damage. Look at warrior's for exemple:

Tier 1: mobility
Tier 2: healing
Tier 3: CC
Tier 4: AoE
Tier 5: Protection/Utility
Tier 6: DPS CD

Most of those talents could be said to be "PVP" and "nothing changes in PvE except grabbing Avatar!".

But ok, warrior maybe have it really bad!
What about rogues?

Tier 1: Stealth QoL
Tier 2: Survivability
Tier 3: more Survivability
Tier 4: Mobility
Tier 5: Non-damaging poisons
Tier 6: Damage utility

Whats that? They also dont get super-duper PvE stuff? Shocker!

So yeah, we are not alone. Talents that directly affect your PvE DPS are rare, for any class. They are now about mobility, survivability, utility, etc, things that you may call "PvP stuff".

Also keep in mind that we don't need new skills to do as well or better in PvE as anyone else if the damage of our existing abilities are balanced in consequence. That being said, there is Symbiosis to consider, which is in itself a DPS boost (depending how you use it), while a lot of lvl 87 skills are of the mobility/survivability/utility cathegory.
Edited by Nikijih on 4/12/2012 9:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
We don't need talents for dps. The problem is that our talents force us to lose the fun things we already have. That's ok somewhat too, really, but on top of that our clunky rotation gets clunkier and we lose the most fun parts about it like ravage.

pvp has some problems but has some solutions too. I'm addressing pve though. Symbiosis looks fun, but our rotations is stepping back to the dark ages it seems like.

Edit: Not saying the sky is falling, just saying cats aren't at the top of the priority mop list and they really do need some attention.
Edited by Tandrus on 4/12/2012 10:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
04/11/2012 01:16 PMPosted by Jamalsanders
With cat druids getting the shaft in 4.3

I admittedly haven't looked into how things are going to be in MoP but I apparently missed this memo.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
04/12/2012 07:08 AMPosted by Reesi

Winning.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Feral feels pretty crappy to play in mop right now.

I should probably write up a long post complaining about it.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
04/12/2012 10:20 AMPosted by Kissybear
With cat druids getting the shaft in 4.3

I admittedly haven't looked into how things are going to be in MoP but I apparently missed this memo.

Ferals are definitely on the lower end of all DPS specs on almost all encounters in Dragon Soul. We just haven't scaled as well as other classes, and our combat mechanics are hamstrung by one thing or another in every fight. (Be it no shredding on ultraxion, or multiple target swaps on just about every other fight)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
04/12/2012 11:38 AMPosted by Mendol

Ferals are definitely on the lower end of all DPS specs on almost all encounters in Dragon Soul. We just haven't scaled as well as other classes, and our combat mechanics are hamstrung by one thing or another in every fight. (Be it no shredding on ultraxion, or multiple target swaps on just about every other fight)

While I'm aware that feral damage is generally lower, it's not really anything new that's suddenly happened as of 4.3. Cats have had their moments, but have mostly been in about the same position they are now or worse.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
My problem with Cat is, is that virtually nothing has changed for PvE, and any issues we have with DPSing are being crudely "fixed" with Symbiosis, despite the fact that cats will be putting it on Warriors for Shattering Throw, or UH DKs for Unholy Frenzy for the best raid and personal DPS increases.

Tangedyn thinks I'm being too angry, but w/e. :P

Amusing, for some reason. Was neat to see you on the cat side of things, if only briefly. I'm kind of still holding out, hoping it will be better, but it's unlikely. Gearing up some other classes in the mean time, because we don't want to run two ferals if they stay similar to right now and our other feral is unlikely to main switch.

04/11/2012 10:47 PMPosted by Nikijih
+ Shadow Dance equivalent

That would be relevant if ANY of our abilities were really good or worth using from that. Ravage doesn't have the really high crit chance Ambush gets (excluding above 80%), and then we have pounce. Not worth it.
Edited by Dagglet on 4/12/2012 3:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]