Prayer of Mending

85 Blood Elf Priest
I don't understand prayer of mending at all. I can see the use in raids, but I cannot fathom the cult following the spell. Assuming minimal melee DPS, does it have any significant use in 5-mans?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Some fights in 5 mans have a lot of AoE damage - the Dragha/Valiona in Grim Batol, Panther boss in ZG, Admiral Ripsnarl in Deadmines. Its ok if you don't use it on CD in a 5 man. Sometimes there is just no need to expend the mana for a single bounce.
Reply Quote
78 Human Priest
04/13/2012 03:53 PMPosted by Truewanx
It's the most mana efficient healing spell in the game bar none. The amount of healing it can do is upwards of 102k heals for 4.1k mana....

OP's point is that it isn't bouncing, so it's not achieving its maximum healing potential. It's not efficient if it only ticks one time.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
First, I usually keep my sound on enough that I can hear things in game. The primary purpose is for warnings, but the sound of prayer bouncing always makes me smile. Maybe it sounds silly, but the ping sound is definitely something I enjoy about it.

Looking at it logistically, it's great to help heal melee (especially stupid melee). Instead of turning my attention away from the tank when there's a cleave or a small aoe, I can cast mending in advance. If the melee are the only ones without health, prom will automatically choose them. For example - those shadowcasters in HoO. I've been with many groups that just don't see the purpose in interrupting those casts. They can take a new rogue from full to 0 and they do a good amount of damage to tanks (especially if the tank still has other mobs). Prom goes ping-ping-ping, keeps the rogue alive, and I can focus on the tank.

Second, as a holy priest, it's one of the few pre-emptive heals we have. Our absorptions aren't very strong, but a prom in advance can help soak 10-15k.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I think most of the <3 for the spell comes from pre-Cata, before health pools were big enough, and PoM would actually heal people for half their HP. It was even cheaper (relatively speaking) than it is now as well. So it was incredibly strong and efficient back then.

It still is, even if not quite on the same level. You still want to have one going round most of the time. Even if it hangs around and takes 60 seconds or longer to go through all of it's charges, it was still a great use of mana. If it goes to someone who is not taking damage, it still lasts for a long time on them, so there is a good chance it will still be used before expiring.

Since it only activates when people take damage, and then moves to the lowest health target, it tends to have low overhealing.

And it is quite unique among healing spells. Us priests like having our diverse range of spells, each with their own situational use.
Reply Quote
78 Human Priest
04/13/2012 04:35 PMPosted by Truewanx

OP's point is that it isn't bouncing, so it's not achieving its maximum healing potential. It's not efficient if it only ticks one time.

but I cannot fathom the cult following the spell

Cakez answered the first, more important question.

What even is this post?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
PoM never healed people for half their HP—at least not in previous expansions. It does so now in pre-Cata dungeons, but it was never as strong as Dominish is making it out to be.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
04/13/2012 05:32 PMPosted by Merrz
What even is this post?

I have no idea.

Deathwingcakez is confused. She cannot tell whether to rain fire down or leave the small, feeble ones alone.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest

What even is this post?

The OP didn't say anything about the spell not working. The op asked whether it was worth using in 5 mans (important question) and why everyone loved it (lesser question). Ashleycakez answered the important question, while Truewanx responded with an answer to the lesser question.

Easy enough to figure out, even if the quoting and response could have been more understandable (that doesn't sound like proper grammar but I give up).
Edited by Ironey on 4/13/2012 5:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Makes sense. I didn't see the "cult following" as a question but now I get it!

Deathwingcakez is appeased.
Reply Quote
78 Human Priest

What even is this post?

The OP didn't say anything about the spell not working. The op asked whether it was worth using in 5 mans (important question) and why everyone loved it (lesser question). Ashleycakez answered the important question, while Truewanx responded with an answer to the lesser question.

Easy enough to figure out, even if the quoting and response could have been more understandable (that doesn't sound like proper grammar but I give up).

I'm saying there really wasn't a reason to turn it into an argument. My post was essentially agreeing with OP and Cakez--PoM does not heal for "upwards of 102k" if it never bounces. It's stated right in the first post that the spell is an obvious choice for a raid/aoe environment.

Pedantry.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
The best use is when there are pulses of damage.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
ITT: Useful information
As I thought, PoM is best used for melee cleaves in 5-mans.

Second, as a holy priest, it's one of the few pre-emptive heals we have. Our absorptions aren't very strong, but a prom in advance can help soak 10-15k.

I never considered the pre-emptive ability of the spell, but, unfortunately, that isn't much help in combat. I can see why it's a well-loved spell; I just seem to have bad luck with the RNG.
Thanks everyone! <3
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
While most people run 5mans in LFD mode these days, and mostly in tunnel-vision, it's still intended that 5mans should help you learn skills which will translate to a raid environment.

It can be hard to remember while levelling a toon these days, but "low level" 5mans used to be an effort in co-ordination (believe me, I am well aware of how unable I was back in "those days" to play at the level required by the old 5mans; I never touched a 5man until partway through Wrath despite having played since Vanilla because I didn`t want to deal with it).

PoM is an ability which requires environmental awareness by the group, for it to be worth the mana it costs. It requires the casting priest to recognize that there is going to be scattered or AoE damage ongoing for at least 5+ seconds (allowing it to bounce multiple times). It requires the casting priest to cast it on a player (admittedly almost always the tank) who will take early damage to ensure it begins to bounce early on in said damage. Theoretically, the priest should also be aware of whether there are other players within range of the initial target, to whom the heal can bounce.

But finally, the non-tanks of the group/raid should be situationally aware enough to understand that barring a specific mechanic which causes them to have to spread out differently, they should "cluster" themselves for heals. Melee are *usually* forced to cluster adequately due to melee range/hitbox positioning. It is additionally the job of the ranged (including the healer...) to do what they can to position themselves so that they're "within range" of the tank/melee without taking additional damage in being so positioned.

I don't mean gettin' up close and personal (unless it's required by a fight mechanic); I just mean... not 20 feet to the left of the tank and 35 feet to the right of the tank, with someone perched in the door of the room off to the side.

In today's LFD - you get the group you get. If you have people who instinctively *know* these things because they've wiped 3 million times to various bosses (even easy bosses) due to derping... then PoM is much more likely to be worth your while. If you have people who don't know the fights and also don't know how to attempt to position yourselves... well, you'll throw PoM out there, and not get quite as good a return.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I keep my PoM on cooldown, it's at minimum 8-10% of my healing ( I have it glyphed so that it does 60% more healing on the first target.) In 5 player dungeons throwing one on the tank is a great way to pre-empt an incoming hit (better and cheaper than PW:S), I will also have renew and Holy word: serenity (unless there's going to be big AE healing) rolling on the tank and keep them up with a steady stream of mixed flash heals and greater heals when they're taking a lot of heavy damage.
Edited by Taheraliel on 4/14/2012 3:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
It's useful in 5 mans with an inexperienced tank who is slow to pick up casters that will likely be aiming for you.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
I use it with the glyph because im lazy and it does alot of healing instantly on the tank, then heals the DPS (even though it rarely activates on them) i use it kinda like a second holy word serenity.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Here's a trick I generally use: unless I want it specifically to heal the tank at the start of a pull, I generally put it on the melee DPS who is most likely to take damage. Here's why:

Cast PoM on tank
Tank pulls
Tank takes damage
PoM bounces to random person, since no one else has taken damage.
PoM rots on the moonkin in your party.

Instead, put it on the idiot dps DK for example.

Tank pulls
Tank takes damage
DK takes damage
PoM bounces to tank
Tank takes damage
PoM bounces back to DK

...and so on and so forth. Good luck :-D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]