Nothing compares to frost <85

90 Blood Elf Warrior
Am I right or just doing something wrong? I have a 70 mage that I run dungeons on while I have rested XP. I tried fire for a while and it just didnt feel like I was putting out good damage. Then I switched to frost and my damage is way better.

First off frost AOE is a million times better. But even single target, I thought my 6k pyro crits when I got the occasional hot streak was pretty nice, but frostbolt regularly crits for 4k. I guess it boils down to frostbolt spam dps is significantly better than fireball spam.

I understand things can't be perfect but why such a wide gap?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
It's cause you're level 70. Things change dramatically at 85.
Reply Quote
Oh trust me at 85 frost aoe is the worst thing in the world, Also with good gear you'll see 60k pyro crits :P pretty much how you think frost is good now, fire will takes its place and make frost it's !@#$% in pve
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
Frost sucks in PVE. Arcane and Fire run circles around it.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
pretty sure living bomb on 3 targets + flamestrike will do more damage than 20 seconds of blizz lol

farming incredibly huge groups of mobs frost can be better if you can gather enough mobs and ring of frost + blizzard spam

frost = battlegrounds, safe farming, questing

fire = when you can learn living bomb
Edited by Joshmage on 4/15/2012 9:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
to hell with pve, run the BG's after you get deep freeze at lvl 69. you can easily global people in a shatter-deep freeze.

I almost pegged wrecking ball
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Mage
It's because Fire is so dependent on it's gear, and Arcane is so dependent on its mastery. Until you can meet the levels needed by either spec, Frost will perform better, especially at sub-85.
Reply Quote
86 Human Mage
at 85 I can pyro living bomb and combustion, drop a talented blast wave then impact procced fire blast to cause great aoe dps.

I just wish impact wasn't a proc and combustion wasn't on a 2 minute timer... *shrug* patiently waiting for mop.
Reply Quote
Am I right or just doing something wrong? I have a 70 mage that I run dungeons on while I have rested XP. I tried fire for a while and it just didnt feel like I was putting out good damage. Then I switched to frost and my damage is way better.

First off frost AOE is a million times better. But even single target, I thought my 6k pyro crits when I got the occasional hot streak was pretty nice, but frostbolt regularly crits for 4k. I guess it boils down to frostbolt spam dps is significantly better than fireball spam.

I understand things can't be perfect but why such a wide gap?

Arcane is much better than frost for lvl 51+ for either leveling or random dungeon dps, definitely. At the moment with only 4 piece heirloom I'm 1-2 shotting everything and doing very good dps in dungeons.
Reply Quote
80 Worgen Mage
Frost become beast when you hit the critical cap and stack mastery. I pull off 6k DPS on my 80 Mage and 21k on my 85 PTR character. Lucky the next expansion will lower the amount of critical needed on gear so frost mage can compete well on the lower gear level.
Reply Quote
80 Worgen Mage
I pull off 6k DPS on my 80 Mage and 21k on my 85 PTR character.

do the premade 85's on the ptr come with t12 or t13?

i pull around 30k+ in 5 mans as arcane right now and my gear is pretty crap. frost is only beast in pvp.

T12 Only. Note that the numbers are on dummies. No Party.
Edited by Rawraga on 4/17/2012 12:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
You aren't doing it right.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]