Which class came first (Lore Based)

85 Blood Elf Paladin
I was thinking about this topic and decided to seek an answer from those with more knowledge on the subject. In the world of Azeroth, which class was established first?

Were the Druids with Cenarius the first "class" to be born? Were the mages and their arcane already here? Do you perhaps believe more primal drives (warrior or rogue) were already in existence? Share your believes
Reply Quote
79 Orc Shaman
The shaman. We came from the elements and our relationship with them is the oldest imaginable.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I agree with the statement about the martial classes. I'm not too sure however whether the study of the arcane coexisted at the same time that druidism was being taught or if it spawned after it. Also, although without no proof from my part, I'd venture to say at least from the information I know, that perhaps Druids preceded Shamans?
Reply Quote
70 Human Paladin
Cenarius taught the first druid, Malfurion. There were already mages in Kaldorei society at that time. Depending on the timeline of Draenor in comparison with Azeroth, and whether or not trolls practiced shamanism or at least a primitive form of it that early in their history, druids predate shamans.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Warrior would be the first "class" to appear, anyone who picks up a rock attached to a stick, and fights with it is a warrior. Shaman came second, followed by Warlock. Keep in mind this is what I have gathered from "rise of the horde"
Reply Quote
70 Human Paladin
04/15/2012 07:37 PMPosted by Grogknack
Keep in mind this is what I have gathered from "rise of the horde"

True, but like I said, the orcs originated on Draenor and it all depends on where this fell on the timeline of Azeroth. And for that matter, Argus has a different timeline as well. I still stand by the fact that warrior was first because, similar to what you said, anyone who picks up a weapon and fights can be called that. Mages were second- the Eredar were mages long before ever leaving Argus (which they fled about 25,000 years ago.) I would assume that Draenei priests and paladins came next, given their contact with the Naaru. Man'ari Eredar were probably becoming warlocks about this same time (though they could have existed within the Legion already.)

I would guess, that about this time is where the Azeroth timeline picks up with the War of the Ancients. Druids are created.

10,000ish years later, Rise of the Horde takes place. Shamans are tricky, because I don't know which race picked up the class first- Trolls are by far the oldest, so if they were the first shamans it would be up for debate when they began to practice and if the class predates druids. If Taurens or Orcs started shamanism, then it would be safe to assume that Kaldorei had druids first.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Actually I would say hunters came first, as some of the first things most civilisations and people need is food. I believe this was the case with Tauren at least....
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
In order to figure out accurately what exactly was the first of what, we're going to have to go back to the origins of the universe in the world of warcraft. It was said that the universe was largely chaotic and that a group of creatures known as the Titans rose up to fight and organize everything. It should be assumed however that being a warrior is the most basic class and therefore one of the first, however if the universe really is as chaotic as expected then demons would be the first ones to be born so I would probably say that being a warlock would be the first race since Warlocks bend the nature of nether magic to their will and that these creatures were surrounded by nether magic then it should be the warlocks were the first to exist. However there is always the possibility that creatures were created as other classes as well but were killed off by their inability to control nether magic.

So TL;DR either the warrior because it's the most basic class to exist and probably the easiest to create and most likely to be a tendency of being or a warlock because of their abilities to bend the nether to their will.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
04/16/2012 02:32 PMPosted by Hallinton
But the Tauren ARE food!

/applause
/standing ovation

anyway, I'd say probably Warriors came first; to be a Warrior back in "ye olde ancient times" would require a minimal amount of knowledge, and literally picking up a rock or a stick and using it to hurt someone.

It doesn't have a high barrier-to-entry, this class.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
If we're talking just on Azeroth?

Warrior/Mage/Shaman - Earthen, Vrykul, Mechagnomes, Giants.

Then it would continue with:

Warrior/Mage/Shaman/Hunter/Priest/Rogue - Trolls, Tauren, Dwarves, Goblins, Night Elves.

Then:

Warrior/Mage/Shaman/Hunter/Priest/Rogue/Warlock/Druid - The last two being added by Night Elves.

Then...

Warrior/Mage/Shaman/Hunter/Priest/Rogue/Warlock/Druid/Death Knight/Paladin - Orcs, Humans adding the last two.

So, as for the playable classes on the start screen: Paladin was the last class, Warrior/Mage/Shaman were the first.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Most likely the Hunter, followed by the Warrior given the likely rise of hunter/gathering societies.

Keep in mind that "classes" are for the most part, gaming constructs. Characters generally have more variety than six narrow pigeonholes.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
04/16/2012 02:13 PMPosted by Istella
I still stand by the fact that warrior was first because, similar to what you said, anyone who picks up a weapon and fights can be called that.

I think the idea is that the warrior is the one who goes beyond the rudimentary art of "my weapon skill is the nearest club lying on the ground" level. Anyone can brawl, the warrior is the one who does it with skill.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
04/17/2012 07:39 AMPosted by Drahliana
I still stand by the fact that warrior was first because, similar to what you said, anyone who picks up a weapon and fights can be called that.

I think the idea is that the warrior is the one who goes beyond the rudimentary art of "my weapon skill is the nearest club lying on the ground" level. Anyone can brawl, the warrior is the one who does it with skill.

... Actually, warrior is just anyone who picks up an item that can be used as a weapon and fights with it as a primary profession.

If you got into fighting with skill that would go into stuff like... knights.

Doesn't take much skill to wield a pike and hunker down behind a shield wall to break cavalry, but a pikeman is still considered a warrior.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]