How to spot a bot / hacked account

60 Blood Elf Death Knight
I've started reporting many characters of suspicion of botting and suspicion of operating from a hacked account.

Nothing that I have reported can ever be confirmed as I am never told the outcome of a ticket.

Though I believe it's working as after a few days from when my tickets have been actioned I cannot locate those reported in the armory or see them online again :)

The below notes are for anyone who wishes to spend some time cleaning up their realm of these unwanted individuals. And this can be done while being in your capital city! ... no need to follow anyone or move to a particular zone.

Step 1 - do a /who Uldum

Uldum is popular for Mining and Herbing ... particularly more mining. Depending on your realm you may see a few people there, or many.

Take note of any level 80, 81 or 82 character in that zone - the reason I do this is because quest only begin in this zone for level 83+

Add all these characters (lvl 80,81,82) to your friends list, and if they're in the Uldum zone for more than 1 day continously and fit the description of what I'll explain below I report them.

Worth noting is - that because tickets may take a few days to be actioned you may notice them to be in that zone for days. Whenever you log in they are there, and while I could not prove they remained online 24hrs per day, it did appear this way.

What else I have noticed is these have all been SoR characters. Evident from wearing either the Zeolot or Windsoul gear. And evident from their recent activity when your armory them as they have recently earned all the exploration achievements, along with the level 80 achievement etc

They will also only have one profession learnt - either mining or herbalism. In most of my reports so far Paladin's are miners, and Druid's are herbalist.

They will also have no enchants, no glyphs, no gems, and even some unspent talent poiints.

After a few weeks I'm noticing patterns which I'm sure internal Blizzard staff are aware of ... but the above is the most simplist method initially of detecting these.

I don't want to explain how to do this for other zones, or levels 83+ as it gets more detailed which will make this post too elaborate ... but if you find doing the above rewarding even if it can be a small time sink I'm sure you will start to notice things :)

Happy hunting!
Edited by Aríel on 4/15/2012 11:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
14 Blood Elf Priest
This would be better suited for General I think.

I can shorten this up for you though:

1. If you 'think' you've spotted a BOT report it.
2. Continue on with your life.
Reply Quote
Well that sucks. I spent 80-to now 82 herbing in uldum. I'll keep on herbing!!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I have to agree with Bavra and Perl. Just report and move on, but I also leveled my pally by mining in Uldum from 81-85. So much beautiful ore to prospect...
Reply Quote
This would be better suited for General I think.

I can shorten this up for you though:

Yeah maybe General would of been better.

I actually wasn't going to post this ... but out of interest I jump onto an alt on another realms ie Frostmourne and saw 6 Paladins, all SoR'd in the last day, all with mining profession only, no enchants etc, and all lvl 81, and thought maybe this is an epidemic.

Since I don't have time to create an alt on every realm I'd figure this approach was easier :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
My boyfriend was farming in uldum this morning for 3 hours on his paladin, he then proceeded to go to Deepholm.

A shaman kept following him asking him if he was botting. At first he didnt answer. About an hour later the shaman told him that he was going to report him for botting. My boyfriends answer was "If you feel im botting, go ahead and report me"

While you might be sure botting is the case, just open a ticket and move on.
Reply Quote
68 Undead Priest
04/15/2012 12:26 PMPosted by Shockuille
Hire one person a server with even half a brain dedicated to bots.

245 new employees for just one 8 hour shift? Just finding the office space, computers, electricity, parking, benefits, etc. *shudder*

Can you imagine if they needed that for all 3 shifts?
Edited by Isabiah on 4/15/2012 1:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/15/2012 12:06 PMPosted by Tinkee
My boyfriend was farming in uldum this morning for 3 hours on his paladin, he then proceeded to go to Deepholm.

I understand people do this ... this is not the scenario I'm explaining in my OP. People like your boyfriend for example are easy to identify from the armory, recent activities etc

The pattern is very obvious.

SoR account. Original SoR gear with no upgrades. Only 1 profession. No enchant, glyphs and unspent talent points. In Uldum for days without logging.

Just have a look on your realm next time you are waiting for a dungeon etc ... so far every ticket I have raise has lead to these characters being deleted.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I ran into a botter in Twilight Highlands about a week-ish ago. A paladin skinner, which isn't something you see as often.

The behavior of the character was just plain bizarre which is the only reason I even noticed. Rather than moving from mob to mob, killing and skinning as they go, the character would kill a mob, skin it, then mount up and run *through and past* multiple other identical dragon mobs, then stop and kill a dragon, mount up and run; rinse, repeat. It was the strange skipping behavior that caught my attention.

I decided to follow a bit and noticed that if I killed a mob close enough to them, the character would immediately dismount and run over to try and skin my mob, even if I was already skinning.

Reported 'em and my ticket was answered a few hours later and the character is gone. Hasn't logged in again. :)

I suppose they're trying to add in some 'non-mechanical' looking behaviors to try and mask the 'same path all the time' bit that gets them busted. Problem is.. it looks even more suspicious. :p
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I spent 80-84 mining on one character and herbing on another. I was not botting, but I was there on a daily basis as I needed the ore and herbs for other characters professions.
Reply Quote
it is very easy to spot a bot mining. if they just stand there and not attack they get instantly reported in my gm log. though it won't be instantaneous it will be a mass wave where all the botter's account will be stopped at least for a short time before the cycle begins.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
04/15/2012 08:10 PMPosted by Gistene
it is very easy to spot a bot mining. if they just stand there and not attack they get instantly reported in my gm log. though it won't be instantaneous it will be a mass wave where all the botter's account will be stopped at least for a short time before the cycle begins.
I didn't attack on my mining character so that premise is moot as well. The point is, you cannot tell if someone is truly botting or not since you are not at the computer they are logged in from. If you suspect someone of botting, report them. They will eventually be dealt with if they are botting, but no action will be taken if they aren't.
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Hunter
04/15/2012 08:09 PMPosted by Flatspriest
I spent 80-84 mining on one character and herbing on another. I was not botting, but I was there on a daily basis as I needed the ore and herbs for other characters professions.

so you are saying what?

what does that have to do with anything?

what are you trying to tell us?

are yous saying since you leveled therre no one should report suspected bots? when blizzard clearly says you should report?
Edited by Sintoodoo on 4/15/2012 8:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Hunter
04/15/2012 08:13 PMPosted by Flatspriest
I didn't attack on my mining character so that premise is moot as well. The point is, you cannot tell if someone is truly botting or not since you are not at the computer they are logged in from. If you suspect someone of botting, report them. They will eventually be dealt with if they are botting, but no action will be taken if they aren't.

i still dont understand your point about your personal mining or whatever? what does that have to do with anything?
Edited by Sintoodoo on 4/15/2012 8:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
64 Tauren Death Knight

No thanks, I prefer the method of:

1. Report it.
2. Killl it.
3. Kill it.
4. Kill it.
5. Kill it.PvE servers must be soooo boring.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
i still dont understand your point about your personal mining or whatever? what does that have to do with anything?

Then I would assume that you didn't read the OP who was giving advice about reporting people in Uldum and using level as a basis to suspecting a bot. Which would be a few people in this thread have mentioned it.

No thanks, I prefer the method of:

1. Report it.
2. Killl it.
3. Kill it.
4. Kill it.
5. Kill it.PvE servers must be soooo boring.

As much as I loathe PvP personally, when I suspect an alliance farmer of being a bot, I REALLY wish I could use that method.
Edited by Scrinshee on 4/15/2012 9:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
04/15/2012 11:32 AMPosted by Aríel
Take note of any level 80, 81 or 82 character in that zone - the reason I do this is because quest only begin in this zone for level 83+

Where does it say that we must be levels 83+ in order to do quests there? If I need twilight jasmine for another character, it is my right to fly all the way to Twilight Highlands and farm herbs there. I admire your efforts in reporting bots but instead of reporting based on level, why don't you report based on hard evidence such as erratic movements that the character actually does 6 inches from you.

This is not a very good way to identify a bot. And furthermore, this post belongs in the general forum.
Edited by Xpóvoç on 4/15/2012 9:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
64 Tauren Death Knight
I still want to know why there were no agressive mobs placed within agro radius, like in every other part of the world.

The lack of hostile npcs near nodes, is more frustrating than the bots.

At least hostile npcs would give players a chance to hit a node.

...the bots only seem to auto-attack,(if they bother to attack at all) and the lowbie toons struggle to kill the 83 mobs.Most times of the day on Blackrock, there's a never ending conga-line, all flying in the same direction, same path, but I do have to admit, it's incredibly awesome when 5 all land on a node at the same time... it saves me having to wait around to kill them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]