Best dps spec for Pve

89 Blood Elf Hunter
So my mains are healers, and I decided to make a ranged dps character my hunter here Nova so far I had enjoyed her quite a lot, I started with pvp till 20 so I chose Beast Mastery as my spec at the beginning. I had finally hit 50 and I noticed my dps is great in Pvp but weaker in pve.
What spec is best for dungeons and raiding? And what's the talent tree filled like?
Reply Quote
86 Troll Hunter
I had great success with BM until I was 85 and had run regs for a week to get jp gear. Once my gear was decent enough to allow me to queue for HoTs, I switched to survival. I turn to noxxic.com for every single question about my hunter and it has been good to me; bookmark this page and use this for reforging/talents/gemming/enchants http://www.noxxic.com/pve/hunter/survival/spec-builds-and-glyphs

Also, I use this addon called ReforgeLite and just select from the premade reforge plan and it's been excellent.

I've done LFR 3 or 4 weeks now and I've gone from being near last to usually in the top 10 of dps (never top 3, those are usually people with 400+ iLvl). In HoTs, I usually am 1st in dps unless there is someone much better geared.

good luck!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
In regards to what Simo said, Noxxic isn't always the best place to go for information on your class, be it reforging, gems, etc.

I've always favored icy-veins.com more, but then again, that's just my personal preference.

On a related note, survival is the best specialization for PvE.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#ccZfMZfbhcMhrRsk:zRsVf0Mz0
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I had been running Marksman, because the most current guide for it says it was highest dps, then my friend made a survival and was pulling my dps with a 319 ilvl (I have a 386 fully gemmed no enchants), so I switched yesterday and am pulling much higher dps
Reply Quote
When you're leveling, I'd go Survival.

Aimed Shot is a little lackluster at the lower levels when you're not able to hit a haste plateau and you don't have access to chimera for a long time. Meanwhile, you get Explosive Shot at level 10 for SV.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
At lvl 85, SV is the way to go. It is a lot more fluid and less clunky than MM, while delivering very good single target and AoE DPS. For rotations, gearing, talents, and glyphs, check one of the many websites out there such as elitistjerks.
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
Currently, SV is the top DPS hunter spec for raiding. MM and BM are close to being tied.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter

Aimed Shot is a little lackluster at the lower levels when you're not able to hit a haste plateau and you don't have access to chimera for a long time. Meanwhile, you get Explosive Shot at level 10 for SV.

Uhm, Aimed Shot + Careful Aim will one shot pretty much anything till BC. At BC you get rapid recuperation, allowing you to kill things with Aimed/Chimera pairs. That continues pretty much straight to 85.

Rapid Recup really just makes marks too efficient for leveling. BM wastes too much time waiting for pet to travel, and Surv is limited by explosive CDs, and neither spec can match the focus regen of MM for leveling.

Raiding, survival is clearly the winner right now.
Edited by Aertea on 4/16/2012 5:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter

Uhm, Aimed Shot + Careful Aim will one shot pretty much anything till BC. At BC you get rapid recuperation, allowing you to kill things with Aimed/Chimera pairs. That continues pretty much straight to 85.

Rapid Recup really just makes marks too efficient for leveling. BM wastes too much time waiting for pet to travel, and Surv is limited by explosive CDs, and neither spec can match the focus regen of MM for leveling.

Raiding, survival is clearly the winner right now.

Absolutely!
The 50 focus you get on killing a mob in MM, makes it super good for leveling.
Currently Survival is best dps at 85, but I am strong believer in speccing for fun.
Choose the spec you enjoy most, the dps difference is not that great.
(Unless you are in a heroic raiding guild, then you need to do survival)
I am specced BM cause I like the cool pets.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
Question about taming & dual-spec, if ya got BM & tame a spirit beast, can you use it after switching to either MM or SV?
Reply Quote
15 Human Rogue
Question about taming & dual-spec, if ya got BM & tame a spirit beast, can you use it after switching to either MM or SV?

Nope, have to be in BM spec to use exotics (with the last talent)
Reply Quote
71 Blood Elf Warrior
MM, to me, is the most fun hunter spec. It can be competitive at 85 if done exactly right. The problem with MM right now at 85 is it favors stand still fights and most of DS requires some target switching and movement. So survival in terms of DPS in DS is top due to it being a more movement friendly spec.

Some people have reported huge differences in MM and Survival on training dummies and such so honestly I believe MM has overall higher DPS and burst, but survival has better mobility and target switching hence why it comes out on top.

MM right now is a pretty complex rotation/ priority system where you need time to stand still and go through the three phases of the fight. You need to stand still for at least 3-5 seconds to get some steady shots off or you risk the stacks dropping for free cast aimed.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I believe in all that MM is better but close to SV Bm is retarded lol but in the end its really how you play the spec and your gear.... Thats what I think iv got a full 397ilvl hunter that is mm for pve its a great spec!.... Once again thats preference. =)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
05/03/2012 03:27 PMPosted by Shaikara
Nope, have to be in BM spec to use exotics (with the last talent)

I hate this aspect of being a hunter. It's ridiculous imo.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
So my mains are healers, and I decided to make a ranged dps character my hunter here Nova so far I had enjoyed her quite a lot, I started with pvp till 20 so I chose Beast Mastery as my spec at the beginning. I had finally hit 50 and I noticed my dps is great in Pvp but weaker in pve.
What spec is best for dungeons and raiding? And what's the talent tree filled like?

This is what you need to know:

1) until max..play what you want..explore all 3 specs...get a feel for the class. If you want levelling to be easier avoid survival like a plague because of focus gen problems.BM and/or MM will be good for levelling. MM is better due to self heal and more importantly has rapid killing and rapid recuperation, for massive amounts of focus and very little down time while levelling.

2) when you hit 85 stay MM until you get tier 13...most people forget it is the tier bonuses that made survival top DPS in 4.3, without the tier bonus you will be focus starved and both BM and MM will out perform you.

3) the only sites you need is EJ fourms and femaledwarf dot com and maybe ask mr. robot but pay close attention to its result and consult with femaledwarf dot com.

4) PVP..ask someone else...but either BM or MM. I prefer BM for BGs.
Edited by Banard on 5/18/2012 10:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
1) They're asking what's best for dungeons, not solo leveling. SV is the best here, due to much better aoe and instant damage, with MM in BC dungeons you'll have the same problem dot classes do, the other dps will kill the boss before you've began to ramp up damage. As you say, MM is great for killing mobs solo, I used my MM pvp spec for farming TB foxes for the companion because I could hardcast aimed >chimera >loot. In dungeons though, especially with chain-pulling tanks, you'll find yourself never able to use aimed which just leaves chimera every 9/10s and wimpy steady shots.

2) Not at all! Be SV straight off the bat. Yes, the 2 piece t13 is great for SV however SV will outperform MM for a fresh 85 too, due to scaling. M scales extremely well with weapon damage, which is great if you have a top end weapon...but as a fresh 85 using some 333/346 dungeon drop, that's going to give you lacklustre dps. Another reason is aoe fights, SV is far superior here.

3) EJ and femaledwarf yes, ask mr.robot never, that site is completely awful for hunters.

4) Bm is great for low-end pvp and bg's, especially while gearing since it's much less dependent on weapon damage than MM. At higher ratings however, the greater utility and cd's of MM make it better.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
The reason there is a higher difference in DPS on Dummies, is because the Dummies are always 90%+ Health, so you always have that HUGE critical increase chance, so the reliability of the Dummie DPS output, is very flawed for this spec.

Survival is the best dps for hunters, I was MM up until about 3 days ago, and decided I needed to attempt to maximize my DPS output, and I've seen great improvements in my overall DPS.

Survival is a slow starter, stronger finisher. MM is a stronger starter, but begins with fall off as the Health bar drops.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
04/15/2012 04:18 PMPosted by Simo
I turn to noxxic.com for every single question about my hunter and it has been good to me; bookmark this page and use this for reforging/talents/gemming/enchants http://www.noxxic.com/pve/hunter/survival/spec-builds-and-glyphs

That explains alot...

Nice hit rating, btw.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Short answer, as others have mentioned, SV is currently highest-dps spec.

Long answer, whatever you're best at. I've seen hunters top charts in all three specs, and I've seen them at the bottom in all three, it's all about knowing how to play the class. I PvE in MM and PvP in both BM and MM. I'm leveling a second hunter just so I can play SV more (I tried it out for a while, but I like extreme soloing and MM works better for me in that regard). Rotations are somewhat dead, it's a little more about priority now, however compared to the other classes I've played (druid, priest, pally, and warrior) the MM hunter is still the one that seems to have a rotation-like feel to it. For me that works out great, but I know a lot of other hunters didn't like that. I can pull off some pretty sweet stuff in MM and have gotten whispers in randoms saying "that was awesome ;D." Not that you couldn't do similar things with SV, it's just whatever you're good at really.

BM is a lot of fun, but a lot of raids won't take you because they still think BM=bad. Like I said, played correctly, all three are perfectly viable. I suggest trying them all and see which you like best. If you're a min/maxer SV is still the way to go, but I've found I can do really good DPS and still have a lot of fun with MM

Finally, I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this (at least I didn't see it if they did), but check out the Warcraft Hunter's Union over at warcrafthuntersunion.com , it is literally the hunter's bible. In fact, I would even venture to say to ignore Noxxic entirely and get all your info from WHU. Not that Noxxic is bad, just that WHU is better.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]