Does Garrosh have to be so bad? Maybe not.

6 Tauren Druid
This is just an idea that I have been thinking about. Obviously some people are here because of friends (like myself), no money to transfer, or are new and don't know how bad this server really is. Some people on this server have mains that are 8/8 H-DS25 on REAL servers.

Now what I mean by REAL servers is: A REAL server does 25man pug raids with success and little to no wipes. The majority of the players know their class inside and out. etc, etc.

Why can't we create some mentoring forum/program for the people on this server that want to be better players? Granted, some better players are too high atop their high horse to help anyone, but some are not and would love to see Garrosh become a better server.

When I first started playing 4 years ago, I didn't know ANYTHING. I didn't know about websites to read that would help me learn more about my class. I didn't know about add-ons. I knew how to level and go into a raid and get embarrassed.

I know some people think they are better than they are and it would take a little character to admit that they could use some pointers. If I could get some of the exceptional players on this server to jump on this with me, then we could humble them. Most people on this server have never played with the exceptional players I am speaking of.

I just thought I would throw this out there. Still trying to figure out in my head how we could do this with as little time involved. Let me know what you think of this idea.

Thanks for any ideas.

Please post if you think you would benefit from this. If you are one of the exceptional players I speak of (you know who you are) and would be willing to help, even on a minimal basis then please post also.
Reply Quote
89 Orc Warlock
TL:DR

TROLOLOLOLOLOL

Yeah I'm not one of the exceptional players who could offer pointers to people, sorry. But the server's down and I'm bored.
Edited by Zarrín on 4/17/2012 8:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I am by no means an exceptional player, but if someone asks me a question about anything, a class, a fight, whatever, I'm more than willing to to take the time to help them, link them to a resource that can help, or forward them to another player who would know the answer to their problem.

However, I no longer bother telling someone if they're doing something wrong and they aren't making an active effort to fix it themselves. Doing so is usually met with hostility. I don't care enough to deal with some of the angsty teenagers we have on Garrosh.
Reply Quote
89 Orc Warlock
I am by no means an exceptional player, but if someone asks me a question about anything, a class, a fight, whatever, I'm more than willing to to take the time to help them, link them to a resource that can help, or forward them to another player who would know the answer to their problem.

However, I no longer bother telling someone if they're doing something wrong and they aren't making an active effort to fix it themselves. Doing so is usually met with hostility. I don't care enough to deal with some of the angsty teenagers we have on Garrosh.

+1 to what Dernn said (both about him and about myself).

If someone has a question, I'll try to help them, or direct them usually to either MMO forums or Elitist Jerks. As long as they're nice about it at least - for the record if you ask a question and I direct you to a resource that'll give you a better answer (sometimes because it's too long or complicated to answer your question over whispers), don't tell me you didn't want to go visit there and want a short answer to your question.

That said - I have an inability to NOT tell people they're doing poorly.

It's why my guild doesn't let me PUG anymore.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Mage
For the most part, people are bad because they refuse to try and get better. People that go and ask for help are generally the types that can improve and become a good or possibly great player, while those that refuse to seek out help if they don't understand something are doomed to be forever bad. It works like that in nearly every aspect of life. I've always been willing to help out players with questions to the best of my knowledge.

Basically, if somebody asks for help I will help them, if they don't come asking for help I'll generally leave them alone and make fun of them in another chat channel.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
For the most part, people are bad because they refuse to try and get better. People that go and ask for help are generally the types that can improve and become a good or possibly great player, while those that refuse to seek out help if they don't understand something are doomed to be forever bad. It works like that in nearly every aspect of life. I've always been willing to help out players with questions to the best of my knowledge.

Basically, if somebody asks for help I will help them, if they don't come asking for help I'll generally leave them alone and make fun of them in another chat channel.

I don't ever mind helping someone. Personally, i'm just a priest who enjoys this game and tries to make something of myself to better benefit my guild and myself. I like to have conversations in trade chat that are legit, maybe personal, maybe some things people could debate on, regardless....

Zarrin is a douche bag either way you look at it... and for the record douchebag isn't a word, couldn't find it on walmart.com. I'll try google next time.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
I forgot to combine the words, woops.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
I know from my experiences with helping people it usually goes pretty well. I don't normally tell people how to play their class, but rather help them with a certain encounter they have never done before. Most of the time I usually do this because of selfish reason, because I want to down a boss and progress :D

But like other people have already pointed out in this thread, a lot of people just don't care, and those are the people I wouldn't even think twice before going into a raid with.

I remember helping out some good friends this week in an alt run and came into the raid to notice an enhancement shaman in complete pvp gear and just laughed and made a comment. He had the audacity to laugh at my lfr gurthalak, and from what I heard, was pulling maybe 12k dps.

This is what we have to deal with on Garrosh. This is the current state. Half the people are like this and are somehow proud of it and won't admit that they can use help. They'd rather get pissed off and be bad, then humble and improve.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I am almost always around to assist others and answer questions, not to hand out gold to random lowbies that claim they have a crap guild.

The only issue I have is with those that don't want to learn. That make the assumption that wiping constantly is the way to go. That claim, "no I don't need vent I know the fight" and then stand out on Hour of Twilight because they figure LFR is real raiding.

I have tossed around the idea of running a DS25 pug over the weekend, however usually after 2 wipes ppl bail which forces me to waste more time to refill. This is not real raiding. Wipes happen and each one should be treated as a learning experience. So asking a full pug for little to no wipes just will not happen...ever...on any server (inb4 someone says well on <server> they pug heroics with no wipes...yeah, and how long do you think it took them to get to that point?).

My pug runs are as successful as most of these main raids that occur, I tend to know the classes I play rather well and will greatly pass on this information and my resources to willing (even unwilling) participants. I greatly enjoy theorycrafting and would enjoy nothing more than to sit and talk numbers/strats with like-minded individuals or those willing to learn.

Just hit me up in-game on Azhidahaka, Sraosha, Flippityflop, Stabntwist or else hit me up here on the forums.
Edited by Rashnau on 4/18/2012 7:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
its not from lack of resources, anyone can log on and read elitist jerks forum posts and know their class pretty well in a few hours, which requires nothing other than reading comprehension. the people who play here just dont care too much. if they did, they would transfer. nobody is locked here forever, there are just different levels of gameplay, and this server is close to the low end. we cant all be glads/saviors/have a job/know what poon smells like/etc
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
You think Garrosh is the only server that says they're "bad"? I've been on several "top" servers for extended periods of time and they all say the same exact thing. "This server is !@#$, go to {server x} if you want real pvp or pve." Hell, even Illidan thinks the pugs are awful yet they were pugging Sinestra when it was current.

The problem on Garrosh isn't a lack of resources. There are obviously several websites available and many intelligent players who are more than accommodating to answer your questions in wow standards. There's a combination of factors at play here.

1. Garrosh is a PvE server: Many(not all) of the top guilds for both raiding and pvp find more entertainment on a PvP server. Top guilds aside, PvP servers give players more options in terms of activities outside of raiding, arena, and questing.

2. Many of the top servers have a following of sorts: On Illidan, it's Blood Legion. On Alterac Mountains, it's vodka. On Tichondrius, there's Nurfed for both pvp and pve. There are countless servers that have something similar. A lot of casual and even moderately hardcore players take pride in playing along side with top contenders like that. Garrosh is lacking even a top 500 guild.

3. It's a low/medium population server: This should be pretty obvious on how it negatively impacts the server's performance. It also, in a way, completes the circle jerk. There is smaller player base to choose from when it comes to recruiting players for pve/pvp. Players are also less likely to transfer for this reason along with reasons 1 and 2.

4. There's a lack of initiative residing from reasons 1-4: Most of the players that are determined on seeking higher levels of gaming transfer off Garrosh for the reasons I've listed above. The rest of the population has become content with the server's status thus becoming content with their own level of ability. Like everything, there are exceptions to this and I realize that some enjoy playing with friends rather than being part of a higher level guild/server.

5. Bargon: Here lies a creature so nefarious and wretched, even muttering his name causes uncontrollable havoc within the trade community. This douche-incarnate %^- clown literally siphons the emotion from people and uses it as lubrication while he *!@#$%^-*es all over the faces of Garrosh. The unfortunate server in which he decides to reside instantly becomes cursed and succumbs to a fate worse than the elevator boss... the nonstop trolling of trade chat.

JK Bargon (even though I'll probably still get a forum ban)

TL;DR You suck
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
emberstorm battlegroup just needs to be blown up and merged with servers in ruin or stormstrike.

also, i try as often as possible to tell people they are doing things wrong, not to help them, but to make me feel better about my own pathetic basement dwelling existence...
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Morg can you just start playing again? Quit your job, x-fer off !@#$rosh, and fulfill your destiny as the greatest prot warrior to play the game.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Best prot warrior transmog ever... Prot warrior that looks like a warlock... lol
Reply Quote
6 Tauren Druid
Thank you to those that responded. Do ya'll see what I see, though?

The only players that responded are this servers exceptional players. LOL

I guess I was expecting some of the people that need help to ask for help here. Although, the people that I was trying to help probably don't even know about these forums.

I understand why some of you are frustrated.

Best healer I have ever played with: "I don't help people, because I figure if they are not intelligent enough to say to themselves, "This game has been out for years; I bet there is something online about it." then they will not benefit from anything I teach them, anyway."

It was just an idea. Thanks again.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Well, that sort of goes back to what I was saying.

People who need help and realize it will do basic research online and then come to an experienced player that they know of in game. This has happened to me on numerous occasions, and I'm always willing to help so long as I'm not busy, and even if I am in the middle of something, I try to answer their questions whenever I have downtime.

People who need help but don't realize it, or think that they are doing fine (ie all these fury warriors with average ilvl of < 390 using two LFR Gurthalaks) won't bother coming to look for help from any source. If you go out of your way to try and help them:

"Hey, just noticed you're using two Gurthalaks. Just wanted to let you know that it's much more preferable to use one Gurthalak in your main hand and then use the 378 axe from End Time. This is because using two Gurths does not increase the proc rate, and the increase in weapon damage does not make up for the loss of the green stats."

then you're usually met with open hostility, eg "wtf who do u tink u r my bro works at bliz and he ban u baddie" (Yes, I've had this EXACT reply before).

Don't get me wrong, it's a good idea, but it's hard enough changing the minds of a person when you're face to face with them (spoken from experience, I'm training to become an RN and patient education is seriously the most difficult thing because they don't like to change their minds). Changing someone's mind over the internet requires you to be incredibly tense and hostile, and requires you to actually have pull over the server. For example, if the top guilds on Horde did, say, a full clear of 25m heroic DS or ran 5 raider 5 pug alt groups and sold carry spots every week, we could say to someone "you suck and you're blacklisted until you stop sucking." Unfortunately, we don't do that, so there's no real incentive for players on our realm to better themselves, as the % nerfs will eventually allow them to be carried through at least normal, if not a few heroic modes.

Dunno, it seems like a good idea, but you're better off trying to advertise in game rather than on the forums (Garrosh forums on life support lolol). Always good to start just by lurking trade and answering someone when they ask "what's the stat priority for x class y spec?"

Oh god why is this reply so long and run-on and hnng.
Reply Quote
89 Orc Warlock
Whoa whoa whoa - I categorically deny being one of the good (let alone exceptional) players on this server.

But I will vouch for Dernn, he's a top notch guy. Ask him all the questions you want. =P

Nah if anyone has any questions I'm more than willing to help. Problem is what was mentioned above - those that need help, don't want it and sure as heck don't ask for it.
Edited by Zarrín on 4/24/2012 1:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Whoa whoa whoa - I categorically deny being one of the good (let alone exceptional) players on this server.

I'm hurt, although not many people probably know me. D:
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
This thread was entertaining. Read through most of it all and i'm not too sure what I read but I don't care if someone asks me about something about a class or fight. Sure i'll tell you! (Not too sure if that has any relevancy to this thread, lol). I'm only hostile to people who have the audacity to call you bad or terrible because you achieved something before they did. My friends are mutual and they range from the worse guild to the best guild on the server.. Whatever. I was never touched in private areas when I was a child so i'm not a !*#% online.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I dig your vocabulary. How YOU doin.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]