About to throw in the towel--in shame

100 Dwarf Warrior
Based on your gear and what Armory shows, you're doing fine in heroics (unless you DPSed all that). Your issue seems to be mostly confidence oriented. There are things you can do to help yourself.

1 - Mark mobs. Skull for first target, X for second target.
2 - Use CC. Many classes have CC available, make use of it. It will seriously help you manage trash pulls.
3 - Make use of the /ignore option. Someone starts calling you out, /ignore. If they kick you, who cares? Que up again and hit the next one.

As many people have said, stick with it. After a while, it will be second nature and you'll be fine.

Until Mists comes out and jacks everything up.

<.<

>,>
Reply Quote
2 Draenei Hunter
OP,
Stick it out! Move on to HoT heroics. They have easy mechanics to pick up and go quick.

The biggest 2 things are to use your cooldowns and learn to dance.

My gf tanks and I heal for her all the time. She is always standing in fire or forgetting to use cooldowns. I will tell her she is hard to heal and she will respond that she forgot cooldowns. This is Soooo important on trash pulls and when you know a spell is coming.

Use dbm, omen, and power auras and work it till its fun
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
The most important thing you learn about tanking is what you can control and what you can't. Tanking used to mess me up too. Till I started looking and thinking 'huh, wait, that wasn't me'. Tanking is really dependent on the group performing. If it doesn't perform, you die. And since you're the tip of the spear you look at yourself and stress. When you figure out what you can do and what you can't then you get a better idea of what criticism to take and what to ignore.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

1 - Mark mobs. Skull for first target, X for second target.
2 - Use CC. Many classes have CC available, make use of it. It will seriously help you manage trash pulls.
3 - Make use of the /ignore option. Someone starts calling you out, /ignore. If they kick you, who cares? Que up again and hit the next one.

As many people have said, stick with it. After a while, it will be second nature and you'll be fine.

Until Mists comes out and jacks everything up.

<.<

>,>

Great advice here. Something I have always done when I tank, especially when i am getting gear is to mark the target I am going to tank with a Skull, and use the crowd controls available on the rest.

On some pulls in heroics you might not have time to cc, but I would still suggest throwing up a skull and x on two targets. Let it be known at the beginning of an instance to kill skull and then x, so that there can be no "misunderstandings" and go at it. If you are area of effect tanking the other mobs and someone pulls off of you and its because they are attacking it, and not what you marked, let them burn in my opinion, you asked them to do something simple.

I am quite rude when I tank if someone pulls off on something that isn't marked. I admit that. In my honest opinion though if you are trying, then the dps or heals should try as well and do their best to help you along, since in a manner of speaking the tank is the leader of the group.
Edited by Shael on 4/17/2012 7:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
1. If the criticism isn't constructive and isn't coming from the healer then ignore it.
2. HoT is easier, often MUCH easier than Cat heroics.
3. Try a different class. It could just be that a pally's rotation doesn't suit your style.
4. Keep it simple, your goal should be to know the mechanics, use your cds at the right times and hold aggro.
5. Don't be afraid to be a little assertive. If a fight goes longer than it should post the recount. You don't even need to say anything to let the group know you're paying attention.
6. Keep reading the forums, we all feel your pain. IDK who the best tank in WoW is but I guarantee you he/she's been kicked at least once by deuches in a pug.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
As a side note, it's interesting how many people face this sort of mental/emotional block when tanking. It's easy to psych yourself out when you first begin tanking. To see your failures as something more important than they are. I think most would agree we started tanking once we stopped caring about what others thought and just did it.

Just a thought
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
I sympathize with you, OP. I have an anxiety disorder and when I tank new content, I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack and die. It can be rather scary, but I've always been able to keep it under control.

Tanking is stressful when you're just starting out, especially when you don't outgear the content. If you're not around supportive people like friends and guildies, you can feel like the spotlight is shining on you. When every little bit of your attention span is on managing your rotation and cooldowns, and dealing with boss mechanics that are still a little unfamiliar, it is difficult to be aware of what everyone else is doing. Someone else might mess up, and you may blame yourself - or be wrongfully blamed by others.

As you get better gear and become used to encounter mechanics, you'll find that you'll gradually start freeing up your attention during dungeons and raids, allowing you to more accurately pinpoint faults in the group. Sometimes the person who messed up will acknowledge it, other times they will still blame you. Don't let it get to you.

The most important thing, though, is what I mentioned above - tank for friends. Stay away from randoms and PUGs as much as possible. If you don't have many friends at the moment, for one reason or another, it may be difficult to do this. I'm experiencing it right now. It's the end of the expansion and, sadly, there aren't many guilds looking for a tank right now. Those that might be looking are usually looking for the most geared and experienced tank they can find to plug a hole in their roster because their previous tank left the game.

If tanking stress continues to drive you to tears, I suggest that you take a break from tanking until Mists of Pandaria. Use the time until the expansion's launch to find a good guild that may or may not be currently raiding. Make friends. Then, get the expansion day one, be a dedicated leveler, and tank for your new guild. I bet you'll have a great time.

Hang in there!
Reply Quote
Something I find a lot of tanks lack is a strong voice. In heroics you have all the cheaters that inflate their gear score with PvP gear and feel obligated to throw in their $.02 at every opportunity. My advice to you is take charge of the group, YOU are the leader not the DPS. YOU know the fights and YOU do the pulling.

As a healer I must admit that Paladin tanks are some of the squishiest tanks I've healed, though on the flipside I recently healed an undergeared Prot Pally (she still had iLvl 333 pieces) and she was a pleasure to heal. Damage avoidance comes from cooldown usage, not from gear. Sure gear helps once you have your cooldowns down packed, but until that point the vast majority of your survival relies upon how you utilize your cooldowns. I'd say work on it if you are being told you are squishy.

I must really nail in the point that YOU as the tank are the one in charge, this isn't a "special snowflake" thing for being a tank/healer, it's a "I control the groups survival" thing. If the DPS defer from your path without delegation or try something stupid whisper your healer and ask them to ignore healing that DPS until they wisen up. 9/10 times this works and they either shut up, act normally, or leave.

Don't quit tanking. When the time comes where you push your abilities and prevent a wipe you will experience such a rush of adrenaline and a feeling of accomplishment that it will reignite your love of tanking and make all the falls and bruises seem so worth it.
Reply Quote
04/17/2012 10:32 PMPosted by Ryuvk
My advice to you is take charge of the group, YOU are the leader not the DPS. YOU know the fights and YOU do the pulling.

This. Being the tank is about being bossy, that's why I don't do it much. If you really really can't boss? Then offspec and try out healing. But I'm sure you can do it, you just need some adjustment. The fact that you read that thread you quoted? That tells me you'll be a great tank.

There's a lot of great advice in this thread. I second:
tank for friends. Stay away from randoms and PUGs as much as possible.

Some of my besties follow this policy; they'll only tank randoms if I'm in their back pocket. I don't give two hoots what some strangers think of me, and that's a big part of being Boss, but they do care, and for that reason they can't Boss around strangers.

Another part of being Boss?
04/17/2012 09:57 PMPosted by Furryspec
Don't let it get to you.

I've healed undergeared tanks, and I always whine, and then I get over it and it's all just fine. I just get nervous when my heals look really big. It's the same as whining about loot drops. Unless it's constructive advice or a request to wait, just don't take it seriously at all.

Take a break or try something new, but
Never give up on yourself.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
A lot of tanks struggle with confidence, especially when moving up to a new level. I agree that going with at least one friend is best, the whole group tends to be friendlier and more forgiving. I agree that HoT's can be easier to tank than the release heroics, and will allow you to gear up much faster.

A couple minor things with your gear, rather than straight parry for your red sockets, use mastery/parry (fine ember topaz), if the socket bonus is worth not using straight mastery. They're cheaper than reds, to. You're missing a few enchants, if you can't afford the high-end ones, there are some cheapie alternatives that'll help a bit (ie. pyrium weapon chain/shield spike). Start on Therazane rep, and in the meantime, you can use an armor kit on your shoulders. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1020823291 has a ton of info on pally gearing/rotation/spec/etc.

Even if they're right and you *aren't* great at tanking yet, you have a great attitude. With more gear and more experience, you'll improve as you go. ;) This is my first tank toon, so I know I'm not as polished, fast, or confident as tanks who've been doing this for years. I'm gearing up really fast, considering I've only been 85 about a week, but it still needs a lot of work.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warrior
This is my first ever tank, and I've tanked multiple HoT heroics with the gear I have on now. If I can do it, you can do it.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
This thread is a great example of all the reasons I love the tanking forums so much. ^_^
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
04/17/2012 10:56 AMPosted by Gloredhel
I am actually crying right now because I feel so terrible about it.

Maybe you should take a break from WoW.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
04/19/2012 10:10 AMPosted by Milked
I am actually crying right now because I feel so terrible about it.

Maybe you should take a break from WoW.

I think he should probably seek medical help if it's come to this.. sounds like he's on the virge of a nervous breakdown to be honest.

I would also hide anything sharp.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
One thing I found helpful when I first started tanking heroics back when cata first came out, was to queue for specific heroics first, rather then queueing for randoms right from the get go. This allows you to watch a video about the heroic in question, and jump right in to it to use the info you got from the video in the actual dungeon. I think this is a good way to hlep with confidence.

I remember first when cata came out the heroics had such a tough reputation, especially stonecore. And while my first attempt at stonecore didn't go that smoothly (I believe I wiped like 7 or 8 times on the final boss alone) I believe I one shot Ozruk (probably the most tank intensive fight in there) because I watched the video before hand and knew exactly how to deal with the bosses mechanics.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]