Best Caster?

85 Human Warrior
Thinking of making a caster class, and thinking of a mage, druid, or warlock. What do you guys think?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Right now mages are probably the "best" based on your choices, but it also depends on what play style you want.

Mages have three specs to choose from. Arcane is ridiculous against single targets (with a very easy rotation, too), fire is pretty solid at single target and great at AoE, focusing on DoTs, and frost is lackluster in PvE but one of the best out there in PvP.

Druids only really have the balance spec for casting (unless you're counting healing, but I assumed not). They've got much more utility than a mage or warlock, given that they can throw some off heals, swap into bear (tank) or cat (melee/stealth) form if needed, but they don't usually compare to the raw DPS of, say, an arcane mage.

Warlocks are under-appreciated, IMO. They've three solid specs to choose from, but require a lot of work in each rotation to be even competitive in DPS. That said, if you master warlocks, they're awesome and deadly. Affliction has great self heals and great DoTs, but its a lot to manage on multi-target fights. Demo probably has the easiest rotation of all, and destro has more DoTs than Affliction (for some stupid reason) and has a ridiculous rotation to keep up.

Keep in mind, though, that with MoP coming up, all this is subject to change. As of now, I believe (feel free to correct me) that mages aren't getting too heavy of an overhaul, druids are gonna lose some utility depending on their spec (but then again, their chosen spec will probably shine more) and warlocks are getting a HUGE overhaul. As of now I won't even try to explain what they'll end up like, just cause its constantly getting changed around.

If you want the caster of casters, go mage.

If you want a caster with solid self heals and a choice of pets to manage, go warlock.

If you want a caster with great utility that you can opt to fill other roles with (if, say, you get bored), go druid.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Best caster is undeniably warlock in PVP and mage in PVE. theres no debate over that. both are good in either setting but mage is THE best in pve. and locks are the best in pvp. what would you do more?
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
04/17/2012 04:06 PMPosted by Jkspiritlink
Best caster is undeniably warlock in PVP and mage in PVE. theres no debate over that. both are good in either setting but mage is THE best in pve. and locks are the best in pvp. what would you do more?

This is the correct answer you need OP.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
Also, warlock have some neat looking stuff in MoP as well.

Mages...not as much. But we'll see how it turns out down the road.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
04/17/2012 04:06 PMPosted by Jkspiritlink

Undeniably true, but take in the consideration of play style. I main a shaman because I love the class, not cause they're the best at any particular thing :D
Reply Quote
100 Orc Mage
Yea, mages excel at pve mostly because fire is the be all spec - it definitely outperforms arcane in most situations (namely ones that aren't sims). They're very good in pvp as well. That said, I'm not big on the changes they're making to our class for MoP. We're getting a lot of nerfs, and clunky new mechanics.

Warlocks are always reliable, if not difficult with the learning curve. Good DPS across all specs (though none shine like fire does), great pvp in bgs and arenas, and they provide a lot of buffs for others.

Boomkin - eh. I'm not a big fan of mine. Weak single target dps, awkward but powerful aoe. Underrated in pvp, though.

Elemental Shaman - also not a huge fan. Boring rotation, weak single target for this tier. Amongst the worst pvp specs.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Undeniably true, but take in the consideration of play style. I main a shaman because I love the class, not cause they're the best at any particular thing :D

I agree with you 100%, i love my shaman and even though my mage was my main for 98% of my wow history im playing this guy way more now.

but, his thread was asking which is best. so thats what i answered.
Reply Quote
It's pretty subjective. I have one of everything, and I like em all for their own reasons. I find most of the spells in the mage toolbox to be pretty practical, but their not ultra exciting for me. Warlock on the other hand has some cool stuff, but it's not always as effective in practice. My mage feels way more elusive, and I don't have to have a 10 page flow chart on spell priorities. Shaman can be dangerous, but I don't like having a healing tree lurking around. People get ideas >_> Druid are in that boat for me as well - I don't like 2/3rds of the class being spread across tanking, melee DPS, and healing.

Because you're on the mage forum - I'll put it like this. Mages will almost always be effective DPS. They will always have a good toolkit for running dungeons, raiding, PVP, or anything else you want to do. They have some nice utility to boot, like conjuring food, mana gems, portals, and teleporting all over Azeroth. Their sets aren't always mind blowing, but every now and then you get a gem (the latest tier is pretty rad IMO). You also get a pretty broad range of races to field unlike some other classes out there.

I'd recommend playing around with each very casually, and if you are an annual passer, use the opportunity to copy one of each into the beta and give em a whirl at 85+.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
You mean there are other casters out there?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
I haven't played this lock in a while, but he has been a lot of fun in bg's. I'm almost at 85 with my mage and it is a totally different playstyle unless you're playing a fire-specced lock. I like the warlock because you have your choice of powerful demon spec, slow and steady dot spec or wtfbbq pew-pew fire spec. Every mage spec is designed to blow stuff up, quickly. Depends on what you like. A side benefit of the mage is the ability to teleport. Hard to discount that - it is so handy!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]