Blood tank dual-wielding. Is it viable?

85 Tauren Death Knight
04/18/2012 01:01 PMPosted by Arsanjii
I don't understand why you're being such an elitist prick. I ask questions to get answers, not to get snooty replies,

04/18/2012 01:04 PMPosted by Arsanjii
I get it now guys, I posted the theories about all the threat-holding abilities without having read the posts in-between. It all makes sense now, thanks for the input.

Don't be a hypocrite, OP. You also clearly do not see that this pops up, and let me emphasize this portion since you did not see it brought up, every single day. It's been weighed on, been debunked several hundred times, no more of these. I absolutely hate dropping in on the DK forums and always seeing a new topic on people suggesting DWing. No.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
@ OP

Outright saying "No" to anything is a really closed minded way to play this game. Just because DW blood tanking isn't popular doesn't mean it is completely without merit.

With Dragonsoul in it's current state DW tanking with Heroic Souldrinkers is not only viable it's optimal in many cases.

However that doesn't mean it's the right option for you or 99% of the DK community. Stick with a 2 hander and play frost if you want to DW.

Also from what I've tested so far DW'ing Heroic Souldrinkers as Blood will be the fastest route to 90.

So perhaps you'll get your chance there.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Death Knight
attitude

I don't understand why you're being such an elitist prick. I ask questions to get answers, not to get snooty replies, like I said, the attitude is unnecessary. Look at everyone else who has replied to this thread. They don't take little E-jabs at me. Sorry I didn't know everything about DK's from birth, I'm currently learning the class, and I thank you all for making this clear to me. I understand now, and that's all I wanted. No need to be a condescending jerk-off about it though :|

You've had a snarky tone for the entire thread. Go use the search function before you walk in high and mighty.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
04/18/2012 02:55 PMPosted by Epacak
A dw blood tank is like a melee hunter, it just retarded...

Lol. I thought all hunters were retarded to begin with.

Interesting Idea OP but, DW tanking wont work. Plenty of reasons why in this thread so I dont need to botherlisting.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Death Knight
there's plenty of reasons why 2H Frost shouldn't work as well - but hey, they obviously like the idea so much that they dont mind breaking rules for it

like how they insist on lightwell, when well over 80% of players despise it?

true - there's countless reasons why 2H frost 'should' be viable. then again, why not the same for DW tanking?

yes - its not viable now. doesn't mean it cant be changed.

in fact, the recent 'execution' of DW unholy brings up a good counter-point.

since talents are now baked directly into specialization itself - why not review the 2H/DW condition?

its obvious that DW worked fairly well for unholy - so well that they killed it - why not extend such viability across all specs?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
1h wep = smaller death strikes = less survivability 2h wep = bigger death strikes
Reply Quote
100 Undead Death Knight
04/20/2012 01:20 AMPosted by Zivalebany
1h wep = smaller death strikes = less survivability 2h wep = bigger death strikes

You do know that the death strike heal is not based on the damage it deals but by the damage you take right?

"Unleash a powerful strike that heals you for 20% of the damage you have sustained during the preceding 5 sec (minimum of at least 7% of your maximum health), while also dealing 150% weapon damage plus 330 to an enemy if the attack is successful."
Edited by Deathtime on 4/20/2012 2:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
/waves

Viable yes. Same DPS no. More healing yes. Worth doing ~shrugs~ up to you, and your guild.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
@OP See what you started...?
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
No, look guys, it says here in the Bible. You have no proof DW is not viable.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
A Deathknight should be able to switch to 2x souldrinkers for added survivability when he / she notes healer mana is low and defensive cds are blown. It is not 100% useless, but a DK tank should pretty much always be 2her. I thkink

The act of switching does not mean you'll automatically get healed. I use one for dps and trust me the proc is minimal and not reliable. Automatically swapping thinking it will heal is not a sure thing. Here are some issues with the weapon swap for souldrinkers in your scenario.

1. It resets the swing timer delaying the first potential chance of a heal for over two and a half seconds.

2. After the 2.6-2.5 seconds it's then a small percentage chance for an attack to heal and by the time either souldrinker has finally swung again you're talking 5+ seconds.

3. Your offhand will miss a ton so there is a chance at most that only the single mainhand hits in 5+ seconds having a good chance at reducing the heal gains.

4. By the time you'd see even a possible heal from a souldrinker (which is tiny and weak) the odds are that you've been healed by the healer you're trying to help or be dead already from their failed heals.

actually i can see dual souldrinkers with duel fallen crusader runes to be a healing stream
maby not the the effect im thinkin of, but still....
Edited by Anthrina on 4/20/2012 9:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
The other option is a car that has no seats, no steering wheel. No seat belts. Literaly a chipmunk caged on a wheel with a stick and treat on the end. To make it go faster you have to adjust the stick. There are no doors and you have to buy the chipmunk and supply the treats. you also have to make it street legal but the catch is you have to keep the chipmunk as the engine. Because you have such an unsafe vehicle you are fined ever 10 feet. The best part is, this car as been coded to your dna and you can never get another Car ever.

1st option=2hander blood
2nd option=dw blood Or if that does not make sense to you...

Option 1 = Drive your car forward to work.
Option 2 = Drive your car backwards to work

1st option = 2H Blood
2nd option = DW blood

Both is viable but people prefer option #1.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Death Knight
Funny thing is one of the top DK tanks all ready tested this and showed that it is viable to do but viable doesn't always mean better.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight

Option 1 = Drive your car forward to work.
Option 2 = Drive your car backwards to work

1st option = 2H Blood
2nd option = DW blood

Both is viable but people prefer option #1.

No no no negative... with that reasoning... rogues can tank.. "They can get dodge up and such... IT is viable!" it is the same thing.

Blood is a 2 hander spec to say other wise is being super ignorant of the spec and what blizzard has designed. This is not swtor where you can spec pretty much how you want and you will still be effective.

The best parts of these threads is watching for what absurd thing people are going to compare DW tanking to.

Its not like a rogue tanking. Rogues cant tank because they dont have the tools. A DW tank has all the same tools as a 2h tank. He simply does less damage and heals more.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
04/20/2012 11:27 AMPosted by Adwarfdk
Funny thing is one of the top DK tanks all ready tested this and showed that it is viable to do but viable doesn't always mean better.

Viable by definition doesn't mean better.

In the loosest terms, viable means you can do it period.

In this case, frost mages are viable DPS. Assassination rogues are viable in all situations, Sub is viable on Ultraxion, tank healing resto druids are viable.

Congratulations, the game doesn't smack you in the face, say no, and insist you are a flaming imbecile the moment you zone into a raid instance as a frost mage/DW blood DK/tank healing resto druid/assassination rogue/BM hunter. Hardly a platform to be screaming against the heavens from that your way of doing things isn't the worse way to go about it.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
What in the name of kel'thuzad's phylactory is going on here dw tanking....people still assuming ds healing based on dmg done may arthas take pity on your souls for brutalizing 2 long dead horse's in the same thread.

Really tho guy's both of these horse's have been pummled beyond recognition just let them die already.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]