Arena gear should be instantly obtainable.

4 month grinds to get a fully geared toon just so you can compete on a level playing field is lame and defeats the spirit of competition and prevents player from wanting to play arenas.

The way I see it arena gear should be rewarded instantly based on rating. The second you hit 1250 you get a piece of gear, no waiting at all. Each 50 point increment you get another piece of gear no conquest points no cost. You are instantly awarded gear the second you hit the rating.

Even after you get fully geared, you should get some sort of reward or title for each 100 arena rating higher which is only good for that one season. Tabards, mounts, title, special looking gear.. whatever but each new rating for the season should give something.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
04/18/2012 12:40 AMPosted by Lifsha
you should get some sort of reward or title for each 100 arena rating
Rbgs
The second you hit 1250 you get a piece of gear, no waiting at all. Each 50 point increment you get another piece of gear no conquest points no cost. You are instantly awarded gear the second you hit the rating.
Considering everyone starts at 1500 mmr it would make little sense to be rewarded for going down in rating.
Edited by Shãrr on 4/18/2012 12:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
44 Human Warlock
04/18/2012 01:10 AMPosted by Nobul
So In other words.. lets give insta gear to arsehat retards that class jump to what is OP at that time frame?///.. yea/

This literally makes no sense. I'm sad for you.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
Yes I agree 100%

it is absurd
Reply Quote
i would like to one day see arena packaged as a stand alone game, like a permanent ATR with a dedicated development staff.

04/18/2012 01:10 AMPosted by Nobul
So In other words.. lets give insta gear to arsehat retards that class jump to what is OP at that time frame?///.. yea/

well that's what arena is and why it should be separate from wow. wow itself is definitely all about character progression and time investment. arena is not about one class (the class/character you play), it is about 10 classes and how they interact.
i think if you're going to play arena you should be able to try it with all 10 classes without handicap... some people will play what they perceive to be op, some people will play what they perceive to be the most fun, some people will play what they perceive to be underpowered to be different, some people will have different motivations for the class they end up playing.
the problem is that people do not get to experience that breadth of choice because of the amount of time required to level/farm gear/etc which makes sense considering wow is an mmorpg and arena is just a minigame. i think if access to every class was made more available, the arena community would have a wider perception of the game and would be enlightened by it. but its unreasonable to expect that framework in wow, because it's an mmorpg and blizz needs your money month after month so all of their content including arena gear progression is designed to take months to complete.
as for people constantly rerolling, that means metagames would develop much more rapidly and the ladder would be more active because people would be better equipped to play exactly what they want to play in arena. also being someone who plays multiple classes, rerolling rarely makes a massive difference in your rating, the 1500 warrior is going to be a 1700 rogue, the world turns, the next season rogues get nerfed and the now 1500 rogue rerolls to current fotm - warlock and he's 1750 this season (because he has never been a good player and is not significantly better than the other 9000 players who rerolled a warlock this particular season that he has to queue against). life goes on.
Edited by Sourlowsx on 4/18/2012 1:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Perm atr with its own staff would make so much money. It could be ftp and go with a scheme like LoL and make a ton of money.
Reply Quote
04/18/2012 01:39 PMPosted by Ticatwo
Perm atr with its own staff would make so much money. It could be ftp and go with a scheme like LoL and make a ton of money.

yea

as far as dedicated staff goes, it's not like the game needs to be perfectly balanced to be fun, it has just has to be fluid and active. shorter seasons with balance changes in between each that address the perceived deficiencies of the previous season (that inevitably create new imbalances because arena balance is such a volatile system) so that the game is always relatively fresh and changing. the best example i can think of recently would be season 9 when blizzard was actually trying to balance arena, buffing and nerfing things midseason and that season as screwed up as it was, was pretty entertaining because of the way the balance changes affected the ladder. of course pve'ers didn't like it (not blaming them) and blizzard has pretty much shrugged their shoulders at arena for the rest of the expansion except in the most dire circumstances (vial of shadows).
people would not complain about balance so much if they had access to all of the classes, because their personal connection/investment with each class would be much weaker or at least less sentimental. snutz said it best, at the highest level wow ARENA is simply about playing the best comp. good players find ways to make unpopular classes viable, bad players reroll, and bad players chained to their classes by sentiment or time constraints just flail and whine and contribute to the collective cynicism of the community.
Edited by Sourlowsx on 4/18/2012 2:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/18/2012 01:39 PMPosted by Ticatwo

I'd pay $5/month to play it. Maybe more depending on what goodies go along with it. I've just never liked the idea of a gear grind(honor gear)for pvp, or the rating requirements for any gear/wep. People still !@#$%, "waaah, you should have to have x rating to get certain gear/weps." That's retarded. Everyone should have access to gear with the exact same stats, without having to earn anything, as far as arenas/rbg's are concerned.

My idea would be that similar to the ATR. You create whatever class you want with gear/gems/weps/enchants included. No different ilvl crap, everything's on the same level. The gear's not the reward in arenas/rbg's, the status is. You shouldn't be striving or pushing for the next piece of gear, or a stronger piece, ever. It should be your rank you're pushing. Now, to distinguish people so they stand out for their achievements, only the gear/wep models would change, never the stats. So you start out at 1500, or whatever, in a basic, dull, set of gear. For every 100 rating you go up, you get a better looking set, possibly title as well. The top % of players will have some crazy, badass looking gear/weps, or even mounts. You can still be unique in the way you gem/enchant/reforge/spec, depending on your playstyle/comp. The only other way to make it better would be making it a standalone pvp game so pve mechanics or balance issues are non-existent for the pvp'ers. There will still be balance issues but not nearly as horrible as they are currently.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
4 month grinds to get a fully geared toon

You're lucky didn't have to grind every day to be the one with top honor on the realm. You have it so hard, here let me get your binkey.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Just play GW2, no need for the same old same old grind.

Inb4 Blizz gets butthurt and deletes this
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
4 month grinds to get a fully geared toon just so you can compete on a level playing field is lame and defeats the spirit of competition and prevents player from wanting to play arenas.

Maybe, but it is the spirit of an MMO. I also don't see what the big deal is. Once you get fully geared every season after that is a joke to gear up in. Unless you're one of those people that feel like they have to grind out BGs to get honor gear.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
The spirit of an mmo is unfair gameplay? Tedious and pointless grind that takes an excessive amount of time?? Come on...

Why should you have to prepare to play the game? Why can't you just play it?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
What about a set of gear based on your spec that you recive only in arena to make it a level playing field? Like if your full ruthless, and once you q for arena and you get inside the gear changes to Cata gear equal to everyone else of the same spec. You can still buy gear for the eventual world pvp that does not exist anymore. Or to go raid in if you hate pve as much as I do. Just a thought, somthing that will never happen.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
04/18/2012 01:48 AMPosted by Valdea

This literally makes no sense. I'm sad for you.

Can't tell if trolling or stupid.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]