Arena gear should be instantly obtainable.

87 Undead Priest
@Loteno You make some good points about the whole RPG aspect, and yes there probably are a significant number of players who prefer the gear progression (some probabl enjoy skill progression too, and some probably just want to stomp the undergeared).

I think it's time WoW PvP grew up a bit is all. Give us both options. Create a seperate realm (like arena pass that's always running) just for PvP without any grinding. No PvE elements at all. See who shows up and how successful it is.

I happen to think WoW has done a really excellent job in the PvP fun factor department. Controls are incredibly smooth compared to most other MMOs out there. I think it can stand on it's own and I'd like to pay for it (whether it's cash shop or subscription).

The fear I think is that they'll lose alot of WoW subs for arena / RBG specific subs. I also think PvP on the main servers would practically die out once people got a taste of a real and balanced version. Here's the thing though... the majority of these people are going to unsub soon anyways, and have been trickling out for a while now.

There's very much an audience for a pure PvP game built on this engine. There are likely people who will play it forever just like there are counterstrike hard cores.
Reply Quote
15 Troll Shaman
Phaid the limits are in place so the basement dwelling virgins who play 16 hours a day don't get full cata in 2 days. It’s all about balance... you want the getting the gear to be challenging but not too difficult & you want there to be incentives to play (hence the grind for gear).

I've read most of your posts in this thread and you keep chiming that "I don't want players who put zero effort into the game to get the same rewards as me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me."

Then I go and read this little gem from you. Players grinding out conquest without a cap would still not be good enough for you.

So what is it? You want players to put in a bunch of effort only once a week and after they hit the cap, stop playing until conquest cap resets? As it is right now, there is little point in playing after you hit the conquest cap if you are just starting out the cataclysmic gear grind. You'll be at a severe disadvantage every step of the way. It isn't fun or compelling gameplay being the undergeared noob. In reality it turns a lot of would-be pvp'ers away.

Anyway, last time I checked, playing for two days straight is putting a heck of a lot of effort into gearing your toon. Why you would argue against this is mind boggling. If someone is willing to spend hours upon hours grinding for gear, more power to them. If someone wants to go slowly, more power to them.

Both will put the same amount of time into gearing themselves eventually, who cares how long it takes them to do it so long as the people that are willing to go the extra mile and play for 2 days straight aren't punished for it by setting a "cap".

If there wasn't a cap I would man up, grind out the set for a few days, gem and enchant it and start enjoying pvp. I would "earn it" just like you did, except it would be a quick process instead of dragged out over MONTHS. As it is right now if I play on any fresh 85 alts, I find pvp to be completely boring because I know even if I have decent skill I am still going to be outgeared (note: not outplayed).

As for incentives to play pvp, it should primarily be for FUN. It shouldn't be, "Well, you CAN have fun....BUT... only after you grind a set for four months to be on equal footing!" It isn't FUN stomping noobs or getting stomped by players that completely outgear you. The current system in place doesn't favor skill. It favors who has the best gear.

Who wants to join a BG to see that 90% of your team is in greens and grinding out an honor set? It is going to be a PAINFUL battleground because your team is going to be WORTHLESS. If everyone had decent gear it would be about which team is indeed BETTER, not who has the best gear.

Gear should NOT be the reward for playing a long time or playing at a high rating. Titles, mounts, achievements, vanity items, etc should be the rewards. Nothing that directly affects gameplay.
Edited by Tablek on 5/9/2012 11:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
wtf? People don't want to gear up that's not why they play this game.. they play this game because they want to actually pvp and pvping with less than the equal gear of your enemies is stupid

gearing up isn't pvp, it's just stupid
People play for all sorts of reasons... saying one person's motivation for playing is stupid is pure ignorance. You can't try to cram your opinion down someone's throat & then disrespect theirs at the same time.

If gear becomes instantly attainable some people will like it & some won't... it's all subjective & opinions vary. WoW is kind of like politics.. no matter what the change is roughly 50% of the population thinks it's a bad idea.

I've read most of your posts in this thread and you keep chiming that "I don't want players who put zero effort into the game to get the same rewards as me. Me. Me. Me. Me. Me."

Then I go and read this little gem from you. Players grinding out conquest without a cap would still not be good enough for you.
Tablek I'm pretty sure you are the same guy that tried to twist my words & take what I said completely out of context before. My message has been very clear & consistent throughout every single one of my posts. As I said before you are welcome to disagree with me, but you are not welcome to make stuff up in an attempt to discredit my opinions.

I believe you are referring to a related thread in which someone suggested removing the conquest cap. I said that I was fine with that as long as safeguards were put in place (I suggested a "rested bonus" that would allow people who haven't played in a while or just leveled to 85 to acquire conquest at a faster pace). A lot of people liked that idea.

Yes I am violently opposed to gear handouts. Some people like you & the poster I quoted above tried to say that I am afraid to go against people with equal gear... that is a laughable accusation that is 100% BS. I'm guessing that both of you are teens (I could be wrong). My point? The younger generation has a welfare mentality... they want everything for free. It is so ingrained in your thinking that you see no problem with it. Yes WoW is a game & not RL but you have apparently brought the same mindset into the game. Let's just agree to disagree & move on.
Edited by Faenya on 5/10/2012 8:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
15 Troll Shaman
05/10/2012 08:16 AMPosted by Faenya
safeguards were put in place

What safeguards? It is a grind. There is NO POINT restricting the amount of Conquest you can earn every week.

They are still working for their gear, they just don't have to wait months to be on equal footing with everyone else. They can tackle it in a few days rather than suffering for months.

I keep seeing you use this welfare gear thing. What constitutes welfare gear to you? Apparently people grinding out a set with no conquest cap is welfare gear? How? Just because it didn't take them months of getting destroyed because they were unable to acquire gear due to a cap?

Apparently some cap makes gear more 'earned' to you?? Why?? It is hard work either way, but one way doesn't require months of suffering to stand on equal footing. Why must people pvp in terrible gear for months before they are able to do anything worthwhile?

Edit: I like how you ignored most of my post. My guess is you have no arguments against what I was saying. If you do, please humor me and respond to every point I made.
Edited by Tablek on 5/11/2012 1:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
Tablek the "welfare" I spoke of is the mentality, not the gear. It's expecting a handout for doing nothing. Like I said I actually agreed with allowing someone to get a "rested bonus" if they miss a few weeks due to RL issues or whatever. I just don't agree with being able to grind out a full cata set in one weekend.

We both agree that players should be allowed to "catch up" by doing arenas, RBGs, etc. we just disagree on the details.
Reply Quote
05/09/2012 07:31 PMPosted by Konsigliere
The ladders would die? I don't think so. If all you want is to gear up then that is pretty sad. People play this game for fun. I've been in full cata for months now and I haven't slowed down at all with how often I queue.

I can assure you that you are sadly in the minority. I can pretty much remember every season where after about month 3 the ladders just flat out die. From recollection the 3 month point is about the average length of time it takes for the average joe to finish their current gear set.

edit I pretty much played most of a season in all the seasons I would play. I would naturally take a break late in a season but I would still play past the full gear point.
Edited by Sabrinakyle on 5/11/2012 8:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
safeguards were put in place

What safeguards? It is a grind. There is NO POINT restricting the amount of Conquest you can earn every week.

They are still working for their gear, they just don't have to wait months to be on equal footing with everyone else. They can tackle it in a few days rather than suffering for months.

I keep seeing you use this welfare gear thing. What constitutes welfare gear to you? Apparently people grinding out a set with no conquest cap is welfare gear? How? Just because it didn't take them months of getting destroyed because they were unable to acquire gear due to a cap?

Apparently some cap makes gear more 'earned' to you?? Why?? It is hard work either way, but one way doesn't require months of suffering to stand on equal footing. Why must people pvp in terrible gear for months before they are able to do anything worthwhile?

Edit: I like how you ignored most of my post. My guess is you have no arguments against what I was saying. If you do, please humor me and respond to every point I made.

Again it's a no win situation. Gear disparities suck I 100 percent agree with you on that. The TR when I played last year was some of the most fun I have had this expansion cause everything was equal at least in terms of item level.

The problem is the majority of players sadly do arenas to gear up and not much else. If you let a big chunk of people get the gear within a week you will have dead ladders for 5+ months as opposed to 3 months.

On on hand a lot of people dont wanna que later in the season cause they are so far behind.
On another hand we got people that finished their sets and have no reason to que.

It's a damned if we do damned if we dont situation. Arenas need incentives BEYOND gearing to keep people queing.

People que 5 man heroics till this day cause you get some gold for it and if you are a healer you make some decent money an hour doing for all intensive purposes a mindless task cause let's face it.... the new heroics are a laughable joke. Only boss I would consider a "challenge" is maybe MAYBE bain the tauren.

Who is going to wanna chain que arenas that reward no gold AND are often stressful?

Arenas simply put have become a job. And it's a good part of why I stopped.
Edited by Sabrinakyle on 5/11/2012 8:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I agree with Soulowsx. Arena/RBGS should be a stand alone game with its own development staff. Apart from that, as things stand now, PvP gear should be free, at all levels.

If you have an army, you dont send half out onto the battlefield with the latest armour and weapons, while the other half walk out naked holding spoons, do you?

05/11/2012 08:43 AMPosted by Sabrinakyle
Arenas need incentives

Exactly. If Blizz were to keep Arena/RBG play intertwined with the rest of WoW's content, and make pvp gear free at all levels, then many people at this stage in the game would need an incentive to play. Mounts, companions, titles, quest chains, gear/transmogs, tokens, gold, whatever.
Edited by Nongaplease on 5/11/2012 4:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
04/18/2012 01:48 AMPosted by Valdea
So In other words.. lets give insta gear to arsehat retards that class jump to what is OP at that time frame?///.. yea/

This literally makes no sense. I'm sad for you.

Can you not read?

He said, and I am rewording it, why should we give pvp gear instantly to people who will change classes based on what class is over powered at the moment?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
It took you 4 months?

That is interesting. This must be and alt?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
PvP gearing has ALWAYS been a grind. Why would blizzard change that and suddenly give instant full PvP gear to just anyone? It's people like you who are ruining the game. If you want to gear faster, then get a serious 3s team or RBG team, otherwise keep rocking your 390 welfare pvp gear and deal with it.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
I can assure you that you are sadly in the minority.

With all those games you have played you have never even went as far as 2k and you think you have an idea of what pvpers think? I play with lots of different people and they all say the same exact thing. You are telling me people actually WANT to be undergeared and go against people in full gear. Think about what you are saying.
Reply Quote
10 Human Paladin
Tier gear more, have a base set of blue PvP gear appear in your mailbox or something upon hitting 85. Saves having a whole load of blue PvE geared nubs ruining your day in a random. Well, that is if you take the game unnecessarily seriously.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I'm all for giving everyone the same equal playing field.

PvP shouldn't be about having the better gear, it should be about showing more skill with the same tools.

If you're only pvp'ing for the gear then you're doing it wrong.

Gear and class homogenisation for pvp, are my biggest issues.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
It's repulsive how long it takes to get fully geared.... but I guess you can pile that on the heap of "why-WoW-PvP-actually-sucks" arguments.

PvE should have the gear grind/farm/whatever for the intended RPG purposes. PvP should be balanced for what it is: PvP. But that alone is the downfall of this game's PvP. Blizzard is either too ignorant or simply doesn't care or something would have been done long ago about how arena, rated BGs, and random BGs work altogether.
Reply Quote
05/12/2012 07:25 PMPosted by Konsigliere
I can assure you that you are sadly in the minority.

With all those games you have played you have never even went as far as 2k and you think you have an idea of what pvpers think? I play with lots of different people and they all say the same exact thing. You are telling me people actually WANT to be undergeared and go against people in full gear. Think about what you are saying.

And the flames start nevermind.... I give up on the forums....

Wow...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]