Increasing DPS 389 fire mage Haste vs Crit

Hello,

I am a relatively new player who started about 4 month ago. As I continue to accumulate my gear, I am wanting to ensure that I maximize my DPS along the way. I've been reading about haste versus crit, particularly around keeping haste at 1505 or 2005.

I currently do not have any T13 gear bonuses so I thought it would make sense to get haste to 2005, get to 17% hit and let crit rest where it may. However, I had a hard time proccing pyroblast to maximize combustion, with crit being relatively low. How critical is it to proc pryoblast to stack with ignite and living bomb before hitting combustion?

My current stats are, with no buffs:

SP 9464
Haste 1506
Hit 1768 (17.26%)
Crit 2067 (25.72%)

What can I do to improve my dps? Anything I should reforge?

Thanks for your help.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
I'm basically at the same gear level, but I do have my t13 4 piece, im also trying to maximize my dps, as im getting pulled into my guilds main group on this (was an alt till we lost our mage)... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also OP, if you do not have it, I recommend you downloading combustion helper... Pretty much a must have.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Something to think about, it may be beneficial for you to go arcane until you accumulate more gear, so that you don't have to sacrifice one for the other as badly.
Reply Quote
interesting suggestion. I think i'd rather suffer from low DPS as I only recently learned about how to properly use the rotation. I think that more practice on my rotation as a fire mage would benefit me in the long run.
Reply Quote
Thank you very much for that advice. I guess I will reforge back to 2005 haste.

Need more gear!
Reply Quote
I've gotten haste to 2002. Does it need to be at or above 2005? is 2002 sufficient?
Reply Quote
okay got haste to 2015... yay time to hit the dummies.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
I'm certain it has to be at 2005, because it gives an extra tick to your dots... Our main source of dps... 2002 doesn't get us to that break point...

Also, fire is VERY RNG based... If you dont get any big crits for ignite, you will catch yourself with low dps... Its very in consistent...

My question is, what size ignites should I be waiting for? 20k? I've seen them as large as 40k, but only very rarely, but I have only been playing this toon full time for 5 days now.
Reply Quote
91 Human Mage
FoE
Fire dps is very temperamental. Some days I can pull 35k+ on heroic fights and others I'm sitting at 22k ready to throw my computer out the window.

Rent has the right info, listen to that advice. If you need more I suggest checking out elitistjerks.com and icy-veins.com. They have some good info there, and whatever you do STAY AWAY FROM noxxic. Terrible place full of misinformation.

On a side note, I hate how dependent mage's are on the legendary staff. They're balanced around having it since "so many people" have it. Just remember that without the staff we're sitting in the middle, albeit higher than a lot, of the dps charts.
Reply Quote
91 Human Mage
FoE

On a side note, I hate how dependent mage's are on the legendary staff. They're balanced around having it since "so many people" have it. Just remember that without the staff we're sitting in the middle, albeit higher than a lot, of the dps charts.

So Sad, but true :-(

I'm always losing to certain classes and rarely top the charts. Rogues, hunters, shadow priests, they are all doing very well.

As well as ret pallies and DKs. My raid team is full of the top dps classes/specs. I always feel sad when I'm low. But then I go on my DK or pug with my Hunter and top the charts :P
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Just to add... all of that PvP gear is really gimping you as far as secondary stats are concerned.

You should also move those points from Arcane Concentration into Cauterize. Mana is really a non-issue and Cauterize is an outstanding talent to have.
Reply Quote
i use the pvp gear because my alternative are the HoT drops which weren't much better than the pvp gear. Additionally the 2piece gives me +100 in int. The ring has pretty good stats (even when considering that resilience has 0 value)

Do you have any suggestion of what gear I should replace them with to

a) make up for the 100 Int loss from the set bonus
b) have been stats when combined with both primary and second stats?

I 'm working on getting LFR and/or DS gear, and would obviously use it if I had it.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
04/19/2012 12:35 PMPosted by Thirstyhere
I 'm working on getting LFR and/or DS gear, and would obviously use it if I had it.

That's basically you're answer. Higher item level does not translate into higher DPS (though, sometimes it does). I didn't replace Darkmoon: Volcano, for instance until I got LFR DS drops

I always give the advice that you need to think in terms of haste plateaus rather than haste caps. Icy veins has a great relatively non-mathy explanation of the plateaus:

http://icy-veins.com/fire-mage-pve-statistics-priority-reforging
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow
Reply Quote
thanks
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Hi all mages. This is my very first post. I just got back from hiatus after BC - rezzed early March and am raiding DS now. Kinda glad i found this thread. It has answered some questions about the haste v crit debate.

I was wondering how does the Firehawk Robes 4-piece bonus work? What do they mean by increased chance to hot streak ? Does that mean that it increases my crit slightly or that i do not need to do non-dot crits 2 times in a row to get a hot streak proc?

With the huge boost of haste on Time Lord's Robes set, basically the answer to my first question will answer this question since i haven't gotten a DS t13 piece yet, LFR time lord or 391 firehawk - which will do better dps?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
I use more crit then haste, under geared with a 374ilvl however (668haste, 2083crit) I find keep ignite up at all times does more damage then most people in my random HoTs
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]