Dissapointed in MoP Frost PvE

We started out cool with permaimmune targets procing FoF from failed freeze. Now we don't.
FoF proc less often from Frostbolt, Frostfire Bolt, Frozen Orb, and Scorch.
Brain Freeze proccing, in technical terms, less often, though it now is a certainty on proccing.

Which brings to the PvE aspect, since mastery only effects Ice Lance when it comes to bosses, with the lesser chance of procing, it's not as needed, it seems, as both other specs. Even if we do comparable dps, it seems less grand the way they did things, and my feeling was right when I figured they'ld redo, in a bad way, what they did durring first show.
Reply Quote
83 Undead Mage
The beta is still in early beta, now they're is a submit a suggestion where the submit a bug button is so don't hesitate to do so for the frost spec.
Edited by Boomjr on 4/19/2012 1:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
The whole "get a charge when a freeze fails due to immunity" thing was problematic. It had a lot of people thinking they were going to have to stand in melee range using Frost Nova, and would be required to spec and cast Frostjaw to use it against immune targets just to get a charge. Really had to go.
Reply Quote
Have you guys seen the pattern yet for so many xpacs we had already? Whenever bliz makes a big change, they screw up first before they fix it. We just need to scream harder.
Reply Quote
04/19/2012 07:29 AMPosted by Lhivera
The whole "get a charge when a freeze fails due to immunity" thing was problematic. It had a lot of people thinking they were going to have to stand in melee range using Frost Nova, and would be required to spec and cast Frostjaw to use it against immune targets just to get a charge. Really had to go.
I was picturing a focus cast frost ward on tank type of thing.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
That would be equally horrible.

A playstyle that has you deliberately using control abilities against targets that you know are immune to control abilities to force a buff proc is just all sorts of wrong. That's a big part of what's wrong with using Freeze in a single-target rotation. It's just awful and needs to be killed, chopped up into little bits, burned, buried, and jumped on, and then dug up so the process can be repeated.

Where this mechanic had some potential to be useful and interesting was as a consolation prize when a freeze you did expect to work failed against an unexpectedly immune target. But using the mechanic deliberately has all the grace and elegance of a three-legged wombat.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I was picturing a focus cast frost ward on tank type of thing.
For me, casting pest freeze on a target, immune to roots or not, feels perfectly natural. Its what I've been doing ever since we got the water elemental pet. But if the majority of raiders don't like it then fine, so be it. If Blizz removes that mechanic though, then they better put something else in on the same cd that generates 2 FoF procs. Right now even raiders are feeling FoF starved outside of Frozen orb. For PvP, this is going to be 10 times worse. In a bg or arena we don't have the opportunity to just turret frostbolts like you see in a raid. To the point of being incredibly lucky to get 3 frostbolts off before you need to move.

The automatic FoF generation on immune targets was a great trade off for us. Come MoP, other classes are gaining even more immunities (which is a terrible mechanic that needs to die a horrible death) than what already exist, which is extensive. This way, we wouldnt feel entirely defenseless when a melee pops one of those cds. By removing it and the generation from freeze, were making FoF a luxury that can't be counted on and isn't strong enough to constitute the extremely low proc chance.

As a side note, I think our mastery needs a massive overhaul. It adds to incredibly spiky damage which makes our class feel clunky, and in PvE only one spell benefits from it. Its a cool idea that fits thematically, but mechanically its very lackluster and well... a bit silly.
Edited by Esmee on 4/19/2012 8:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Quote from Boomjr
The beta is still in early beta, now they're is a submit a suggestion where the submit a bug button is so don't hesitate to do so for the frost spec.

OH MY WAND, I'm so sick and TIRED of people saying "its early".

Folks, its LATE, VERY VERY VERY VERY LATE.

Its WAY PAST a day late and a dollar short.
Its more like bly has to order V.i.a.g.r.a cut into quarters just so they don't p.e.e. on their shoes at the urinal LATE.

Pffft, just ask LHivera there. Name one time, where what we SAW in BETA turned out to be BETTER when the xpac finally came?
Name it?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]