CTC help.....again.....

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ok, I'm currently sitting right around 101 with self buffs, food, and an elixer. I know the Target is 102.4. My question is how to factor in weapon and trinket procs. I'll get procs frequently that take me up to 120 or better. Should I start stacking stamina or still push for steady 102.4? What happens when I get a proc and I soar above the CTC cap? Does that extra mitigation do anything or is it wasted? Should I switch trinkets? Regem? Tips..?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Well..

You can fix your gems and probably hit CTC since you're only down by 1.4% by your numbers, if you switched blue gems to mastery/stam, and your reds to parry/mastery, you'd probably be fine.

I'm not a math geek so i didn't use numbers to back it up, but it's PRETTY easy to get 1.4% avoidance/block

also prismatics i would make mastery until the point you actually hit CTC then start working backwards towards stamina
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
80 mastery rating ~= 1% block. You only need around 115 mastery rating to get 1.4% block, which is only a few gems. You can replace your 2 prismatics with +40 mastery (+80 total) and two blue socket solid gems with hybrid mastery/stamina gems.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Keep in mind you'll get ~1% or so from raid buffs, food, etc.

Oh, and if you proc SSV (please get IP), then you'll fill the CTC gap you have... and get nothing else out of it and simply dodge, parry, be missed, or block every attack. More block does nothing for you after CTC (ie; block does not push the other three off, rather dodge/parry push block off).
Edited by Kaitelynn on 4/19/2012 2:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
Go for full CTC without the weapn procs, and then (unless the proc is mastery for a paladin or something) the proc should still be useful. Look at windwalk, it procs dodge. Well even when you're at the CTC coverage a dodge proc increases the chances of you fully avoiding attacks rather then just blocking them, so there is still an advantage. But you always want to be fully CTC without procs, because those procs won't always be up.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/19/2012 02:57 PMPosted by Imapwnurface
Go for full CTC without the weapn procs, and then (unless the proc is mastery for a paladin or something) the proc should still be useful. Look at windwalk, it procs dodge. Well even when you're at the CTC coverage a dodge proc increases the chances of you fully avoiding attacks rather then just blocking them, so there is still an advantage. But you always want to be fully CTC without procs, because those procs won't always be up.

Should try go be full CTC with raid buffs (don't count on procs).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
There is a website that can help you with gearing and reforges and all that jazz.

askmrrobot.com

its extremely useful and i use it all the time. also, get rid of soulshifter vortex. the proc on it is absolutely useless once you are ctc capped, and you dont want to have to depend on a proc to reach ctc cap. the weapon enchant windwalk is the best enchant for tanks currently, even when youre ctc capped, because dodge > block chance, and any extra dodge pass ctc cap will override block.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
chardev.org/Planner.html is a better site, it lets you load your character and then control gem/reforge/enchant changes, as well as buffs. I generally ignore procs from trinkets and weapon enchants when looking at CTC.

And, as stated, Soulshifter Vortex on a paladin is really only good for the stamina, you'd be better off with the trinket from HoT due to dodge rating over CTC still helps, whereas extra mastery is wasted on paladins.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
There is a website that can help you with gearing and reforges and all that jazz.

askmrrobot.com

Please dont recommend that site to others, Its bad. Askmrrobot does not factor in DR at all. It mindlessly(its a computer) does Mastery>parry<dodge...etc. Does not factor in CTC or Diminishing returns at all. This is why ,Hosenpally, your Parry is at 18% and your dodge is 14% with mastery/parry pieces with no reforges on them

04/19/2012 03:44 PMPosted by Káhn
chardev.org/Planner.html is a better site

This Use this site and do the reforges yourself
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

askmrrobot.com

No. Just no.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
http://chardev.org/ is amazing at figuring things out with your gear including raid buffs and foods, definitely check it out.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
04/19/2012 03:06 PMPosted by Kaitelynn

Yes yes, by all means include raid buffs into your CTC if you're gauranteed to have those buffs every week. Personally when I played my paladin I just went for CTC based on my food buff, but no doubt the more raid buffs you can account for, the more efficient your gear should be.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/19/2012 03:06 PMPosted by Kaitelynn
Sorry, i dont believe this, you should be full CtC prior to going into a raid imo. If you die mid fight and have to be BR'd. You cant ask that big bad boss " hey can you hold on a sec while i get rebuffed?, then we can continue beating on each other"

Get to full ctc first and foremost....but hey, just one mans opinion

Happy Tanking
Edited by Squidwardt on 4/21/2012 7:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/21/2012 07:59 AMPosted by Squidwardt
Sorry, i dont believe this, you should be full CtC prior to going into a raid imo. If you die mid fight and have to be BR'd. You cant ask that big bad boss " hey can you hold on a sec while i get rebuffed?, then we can continue beating on each other"

Get to full ctc first and foremost....but hey, just one mans opinion

Happy Tanking

This is why communication is important. Died? Cool, got your brez right her bro! When you're about to get up, call it out and then call for rebuffs. Doesn't take but a couple of seconds. DS is interesting in that there is generally nothing that will kill you for not being CTC'ed (There are some that go in around 90-95% even on heroic and do just fine. They have heals that can push these sort of things, and DPS that make fights much shorter and less threatening than longer fights are).

Therefore, be CTC'ed with raid buffs you know will BE THERE. I know I'll always have Horn of Winter/Totem, food buff, and Mark/Kings because: 1a) The other tank is a DK; 1b) We always have a shaman; 2a) We feast after every wipe; 2b) I carry my own food; 3a) We have two druids, one is always in; 3b) I'm a pally, I have kings.

So build your CTC on stuff you know will be there. If it isn't, plan on that and work it in. Being able to count on these raid buffs gives you some more itemization from not having to socket another mastery and instead get a stamina gem, or pulling off one reforge to go to dodge, or whatever.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Death Knight
04/21/2012 08:58 AMPosted by Kaitelynn
food buff

Never factor in food buff because if you die you can't eat during combat and then wont be ctc if you can get the brez off in time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]