Drak'thul Arena/Rated PVP: Getting Started

85 Orc Death Knight
if anyone has questions pertaining to their class in rated pvp please post them here. i am more than willing to answer anyones questions and i think there are other people willing to help as well. there are a few things you should start with if your interested in pvp or want to get serious in arenas or rbgs.

1) If you are able to buy a mouse, buy one, and learn to mouse turn.

2) Key bind all your abilities or as many as you can handle. You can start slowly and work your way up. (there are some people who do not key bind and are successful, rato anyone? however learning to key bind and mouse turn will dramatically improve you gameplay. btw rato got to 2160 in 2 with like no keybindings lawl)

3) Pick up some add-ons from curse client. Get Gladius and Battleground Targets to start.

4) Learn to use macros and focus macros. Here are a few examples of macros i use on my ret paladin:

Focus Repentance: this macro uses repentance on my focus target in arena(usually the healer).

#showtooltip Repentance
/cast [target=focus] Repentance

Hand of Freedom Party 1: this macro gives the first person in my party freedom. you can also put your partner's name in place of "party 1." i prefer using specific names.

#showtooltip Hand of Freedom
/cast [target=party 1] Hand of Freedom or /cast [target=Gambino] Hand of Freedom

Now those are only 2 examples of the macros I use on my ret paladin. You can apply the same basic format to all crowd control and support abilties (fear, hand of protection, master's call, etc.). Please post anyone questions you have about your own classes or whisper me in game at Rék.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
btw if you do not what a macro is, type /macro in your chat in game. a window will show up with options for you to create macros. select new, name your macro, and pick an icon for it. from there you type in commands similar to the ones i made in the first post.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
-
Edited by Restochango on 4/24/2012 6:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Corrected:
Arena Step 1: Get one of the current viable comps together.
Arena Step 2: Roll multiple alts up to max level so you can switch your main when Blizz messes with stuff and makes your current comp/main suck.

;D

P.S. I'm too lazy to type /macro. I just type /m.
Edited by Ellinore on 4/25/2012 8:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
haha nore. yah ur steps are prob better than mine actually. no joke like thats at least how it feels in game atm.

new plan guys everyone drop their mains and re-roll a rogue. we can run 25man ds together with just rogues and get our legendaries that way. we don't need healers or tanks because we are all of the above. :P
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Alternatively, if your preferred class or spec gets beaten down into pvp obscurity, turn to being a pve hero so that you can acquire insanely overpowered toys via heroic raiding and roflstomp on people the way you're used to.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
04/25/2012 08:13 AMPosted by Ellinore
Arena Step 1: Get one of the current viable comps together.

04/25/2012 11:05 AMPosted by Mattick
turn to being a pve hero so that you can acquire insanely overpowered toys via heroic raiding

Collect points.

No seriously, good advice though. Don't forget Gladiatorlossa, a lot of people don't like it, but it really does help.

You can be the best clicker in the world, but you will be even better if you bind everything and get used to it. If you have the spare money, a good mouse is worth the investment.

04/24/2012 05:39 PMPosted by Rekirtsibo
btw rato got to 2160 in 2 with like no keybindings lawl

Feral/any healer not a priest is really simple - just requires good communication and a LOT of patience. Consider this an exception to the keybinding rule.

Also, I would advise to learn to slow the game down, stop tunnel visioning. Pvp is not about damage, it's about cooldown management and setting up kills. Also, learn to call out everything you're doing, especially in arenas.
Edited by Andorîîan on 4/25/2012 1:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Oh, it's very helpful to pick an idol too - especially one who has videos or forum posts. Braindeadly, reckful, original, snutz, cartoonz, etc. For me, it's Datah. Then you can stalk their armory to see what spec they like, what enchants and reforges, etc.

Although it would clearly be preaching to the choir, read the forums, read the pvp stickys, and feel free to post questions in the forums as there are quite a few people who post actual information (lots of trolls too...)
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
yah thats a good point. the majority of what you need to know about your class can be found in the arena and class sections. lots of really good players have already posted specific guides to each class under the class forums.

rato actually got to 2160 without any form of skype/vent lol. just fotm feral, resto sham 2s. still funny even if its an easy comp

i might post a small dk pvp guide if anyone or any aspiring dks are interested. i could post macros, unholy dk rotation(not always the same), and i could go over some other cool stuff as well. i might just post it anyways since school is over and i dont have to do until i start my job in a few weeks
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
04/25/2012 02:22 PMPosted by Rekirtsibo
rato actually got to 2160 without any form of skype/vent lol. just fotm feral, resto sham 2s. still funny even if its an easy comp

Err... Not going to bite on this one... Whatsatotem is a very very good healer though, best one on the server.

If you have the time, go ahead and write the guide; worst case scenario only a few people read it, best case scenario maybe you help someone out. I would write a feral one, but on the druid page there is an extremely good sticky that is way better than anything I could hope to write. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3595374512

There is a frost pvp guide on the dk forums, but not a real unh dk one, so it could be useful.

Oh, and good luck over there on the new server!
Edited by Andorîîan on 4/25/2012 3:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
thanks andy! im liking malgan so far. lots of people to play with, cheap stuff on the ah, and ms is like 2 times better than drak. ques could be worse for 3s on this battlegroup though, which i thought would be different. ques are actually better on vengeance above 2k in my opinion
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
I've been to 2196 warrior/druid as a clicker....even more of a clicker than I am today >.>

I used vent though, so I'm not as pro as rato
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
04/25/2012 03:32 PMPosted by Mattick
I've been to 2196 warrior/druid as a clicker.

Classic comp! This was in wrath, or s9? Or earlier?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
it was wrath, I wanna say like s6?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]