Non RP names

100 Worgen Druid
What's your stance on this? I'm sure many of you are aware that having not Roleplay/Immersions names on a RP server is not allowed, but I have seen many without. I was speaking about this to someone and I commented on how easy it is to report people with non rp names is now. The person I was speaking to asked me why I cared, I asked him why shouldn't I care... And then we both kinda looked at each other.

What I dont understand is why someone would purposely roll on a RP realm if they had no interest in it. There are tonnes of other realms out there... Why do you have to roll your rogue 'ganktulolz' on THIS server? (Thats not really a name I came across, but one quite similar to the one we were talking about)

So, what do you think? Do you report non rp names?
Reply Quote
2 Orc Warrior
Absolutely.

I'm not going to break down and cry apocalypse when I see a larger quota of non-RP names than usual, I just whisper them and kindly tell them that I believe their name is in violation of the RP realm ToS they hurriedly agreed to. Should their character's name be "iffy", then they could explain it to me and all will be good. Should their name be blatantly obvious, then I inform them that I will just open a ticket on their name, requesting it be changed to fit the ToS and that they should do the same so that the odds they get to personally change the name themselves is heightened.

If they go "lol rper", then I simply shrug and report it anyway, adding them to my friend list so I can track their name myself until it's changed.

Many people like that will simply change one letter or so, and if I see that happen, I report them again.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
There's quite a few that can be easily spun into IC nicknames or the like, but I do agree a bit just because I'm terrible at names and I can still come up with...mostly okay ones.

That being said my bank alts are all variations of the name Bankalt.

If some of the people are server xfers, they might just not wanted to pay extra to name change, though I think you request it for rp servers (not entirely sure).

At the end of the day it's something that you need to decide to report to Blizz though, since it's one of those player prompted enforcement things.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
When reporting I don't usually tell the person, I only did so once and they began to troll me. Rather than invite myself into Drama I just let Blizzard sort through them.

If the character is obviously a bank alt I don't even give it a second glance. I remember when my sister's bank alt was flagged for a name change, it was kinda lame.
But a level 85 Rogue with a similar name to that I posted? Yeah, I report that.
Reply Quote
2 Orc Warrior
Once they begin to troll you, (to a point) it's called harassment and will earn them a mini-vacation. Thus is why I openly tell people and be honest with them.

In the end, I let it roll downhill as I enjoy the peace and quiet.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
It doesn't bother me as much since not everyone who plays on an rp server rps. Most rpers who have non rp names tend to use mrp or trp2 so I see their names as something else entirely anyway.

But if they have a non rp name and troll then its totally insta-report
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
04/23/2012 07:42 AMPosted by Thokk
Once they begin to troll you, (to a point) it's called harassment and will earn them a mini-vacation. Thus is why I openly tell people and be honest with them.

It takes some pretty constant harassment to earn a temporary ban. Most GMs will only give a warning, if they even respond.

But yes, I always report RP names, because why not? They're breaking the rules.
Reply Quote
2 Orc Warrior
04/23/2012 08:28 AMPosted by Vivera
turn names off.

I've done this before.
It's nice, actually, you have to go on "what this person looks like"
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Priest
Eh, I only report their names if they are being disruptive. For instance, /y in the city, spamming chat channels, and so on.

If they aren't doing anything, they don't deserve a little bit of justice, so I'm good. Besides, they could possibly have a hilarious IC reason for their name.
Reply Quote
I used to care about this. Then I grew up, pulled the stick out of my !@# and realized that someone's dumb name doesn't effect me at all. If your immersion is so fragile that someone's nameplate threatens it... Then maybe you ought to be a 'real' RPer and turn names off.

People around here get worked up about the silliest things.

Do you report gold sellers? Honestly curious.
Reply Quote
Absolutely not. I've got better things to do with my time then worry about the name someone chose. Especially because someone's character name doesn't hurt anyone. The thing is, there are more than just RPers here. And both camps deserve the same respect.

If someone's name isn't "RP" enough, but they mind their own business and don't ever harass anyone, who cares? I'm sick and tired of seeing perfectly harmless names get reported just because they aren't medieval enough or whatever. Especially when the people who own the name try their best to stay out of the way.

Live and let live, no one gets hurt by them, etc etc.

04/23/2012 07:18 AMPosted by Thokk
If they go "lol rper", then I simply shrug and report it anyway, adding them to my friend list so I can track their name myself until it's changed.

It's people like this who are the reason friends lists should be by invitation only, like Real ID is. There's no reason for this kind of stalking.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
It doesn't bother me as much since not everyone who plays on an rp server rps. Most rpers who have non rp names tend to use mrp or trp2 so I see their names as something else entirely anyway.

But if they have a non rp name and troll then its totally insta-report

This brings me back to my question of why bother rolling on an RP server if you have no interest in it? And whether you are a roleplayer or not doesn't change the fact that having names that disrupt other people's immersion (On a RP server) is against the ToS. I really don't think it's that unreasonable.
You'd probably report a name that was gross or inappropriate (Racist or something), what makes this any different? Why is it okay to break some rules but not others?

I can honestly say It does bother me, breaks my immersion a bit. Especially when they are saying and /yelling things.

The thing is, there are more than just RPers here. And both camps deserve the same respect.

Yes but RP servers are for those that want to RP. There are special rules that you agree to. It's kinda disrespectful for someone to agree to those rules then just say 'lolwutever' isn't it?
They would get all the respect they wanted if they chose the correct realm for what they wish to do. It's the same as people who go to Pvp realms and then complain that pvp happened.

Also I'm not talking about having a medieval name. I'm talking about having a name like... Well, Boogers up there.
Edited by Vail on 4/23/2012 10:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
04/23/2012 07:08 AMPosted by Vail
What I dont understand is why someone would purposely roll on a RP realm if they had no interest in it.

All of your friends were there when you started, and you want to play with your friends.
You were young and threw away the instruction manual before picking a server (like every one of us who started playing and had no idea what the game was about).
You have an RP main, but also alt characters who you don't RP.
You were thinking about RPing, decided you didn't like it and don't want to re-roll.
You used to RP, and for some reason decided to stop. You still like wow and don't want to pay money to go elsewhere.
You like watching other people RP, but aren't confidant enough in your writing skills to do it yourself.

I could go on, but the point is that there are many reasons why a non RPer would roll on an RP server, even if they didn't want to RP.

As for RP names, they're usually taken, so I like to give my characters fun names that relate to their class or race. Like candidiasis. Though, I am thinking about making this character's IC last name "Thrush."
Edited by Candidiasis on 4/23/2012 10:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
04/23/2012 10:31 AMPosted by Candidiasis
What I dont understand is why someone would purposely roll on a RP realm if they had no interest in it.

All of your friends were there when you started, and you want to play with your friends.
You were young and threw away the instruction manual before picking a server (like every one of us who started playing and had no idea what the game was about).
You have an RP main, but also alt characters who you don't RP.
You were thinking about RPing, decided you didn't like it and don't want to re-roll.
You used to RP, and for some reason decided to stop. You still like wow and don't want to pay money to go elsewhere.
You like watching other people RP, but aren't confidant enough in your writing skills to do it yourself.

I could go on, but the point is that there are many reasons why a non RPer would roll on an RP server, even if they didn't want to RP.

As for RP names, they're usually taken, so I like to give my characters fun names that relate to their class or race. Like candidiasis. Though, I am thinking about making this character's IC last name "Thrush."

If someone just likes the feel of a RP server that is fine. I have met people who are simply into Immersion gameplay and never roleplay, or rarely do. But that doesn't exclude them from following the same rules everyone else is supposed to.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]