The State of Sentinels

85 Blood Elf Priest
I'm sure that everyone has noticed; the server is dead. There are maybe three progression raiding guilds to speak of, the economy is a mess, and gaming here is simply becoming "unfun." I think it's high time that Blizzard do something about this, and their response to me was, "Post on the Forums." So, not that I think anything will be done, but here's that post.

I am sure our server isn't alone in dealing with this issue. How difficult would it be to grab a few of the lowest population realms and combine them? Or flag certain realms for free character transfers, and then set an end date for closing those realms? I'm sure that Blizzard has a dozen ways up their sleeve to fix this issue, and I do not think that we should be forced to wait until Mists to have a playable game. Asking us to pay $25 per character transfer, when some of us have multiple 85s that see significant play is an unacceptable answer. Equally unacceptable is asking us to wait around on a dead server, hope that MoP comes out soon, and hope that something will miraculously happen to fix the issue.

Something must be done.
Reply Quote
MVP
86 Night Elf Priest
This really isn't appropriate on the realm forum - as no Blizzard rep is likely to see it here. Most often this sort of query is posted on the General Discussion forum, but won't receive a direct answer.

How difficult? More than many of us realize. While it may have a lower ACTIVE population, merging two servers would involve every character ever created that remains on the realm - potentially overlapping character and guild names and trying to decide who should be the "real" Jellie, for example.

Free character transfers? When Blizzard does these, they are not designed to let players abandon what they consider a sinking ship. They are designed to relieve overload on highly populated realms by allowing those players to move to specified lower population realms. They don't always work, especially not when people realize they can't cherry-pick where they're moving to.

Blizzard has been talking about ways that things will change up, BUT most of that is being worked on to go with Mists of Pandaria.

Unfortunately, those things you consider unacceptable are pretty much the options that exist. They're also a bit narrow in vision, as they only consider the single individual's desire - not the health of the realm. You want off Sentinels because you feel it's dead and there's nothing wrong with your opinion or desire, but they are you as an individual and others who agree as individuals. Blizzard's concern is more with finding a way to bring more life to smaller and quieter realms.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I'm sure that everyone has noticed; the server is dead. There are maybe three progression raiding guilds to speak of, the economy is a mess, and gaming here is simply becoming "unfun." I think it's high time that Blizzard do something about this, and their response to me was, "Post on the Forums." So, not that I think anything will be done, but here's that post.

I am sure our server isn't alone in dealing with this issue. How difficult would it be to grab a few of the lowest population realms and combine them? Or flag certain realms for free character transfers, and then set an end date for closing those realms? I'm sure that Blizzard has a dozen ways up their sleeve to fix this issue, and I do not think that we should be forced to wait until Mists to have a playable game. Asking us to pay $25 per character transfer, when some of us have multiple 85s that see significant play is an unacceptable answer. Equally unacceptable is asking us to wait around on a dead server, hope that MoP comes out soon, and hope that something will miraculously happen to fix the issue.

Something must be done.

You must be new, but this isn't anything new on Sentinels. Whether it's unacceptable to you or not, you can either transfer off the server, or quit. You also COULD try to merge guilds with other like-minded guilds, but I don't think I've ever seen that work long-term and I was on Sentinels from 09/2006 to 03/2012. Sentinels launched on 07/2006, so I've seen pretty much all this server has to offer.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
04/24/2012 10:06 AMPosted by Eilethalua
This really isn't appropriate on the realm forum - as no Blizzard rep is likely to see it here. Most often this sort of query is posted on the General Discussion forum, but won't receive a direct answer.

I put it here because that's where the GM linked me to post.

Free character transfers? When Blizzard does these, they are not designed to let players abandon what they consider a sinking ship. They are designed to relieve overload on highly populated realms by allowing those players to move to specified lower population realms. They don't always work, especially not when people realize they can't cherry-pick where they're moving to.

Because something was done a certain way in the past (and, as you admit, didn't always work) does not mean it should continue to be done that way in the future. In reality, the very fact that it didn't work seems to suggest that it needs to change. That free transfers have never been used this way before does not at all mean that they should not be used this way now. They would also avoid all the issues that you mention above about joining realms.

Unfortunately, those things you consider unacceptable are pretty much the options that exist.

They're not the only options that exist, they're simply the only options that we, as players have. And it's Blizzard's job to give us more options.

And forgive me if you think I'm overstepping my bounds, or putting words in other people's mouths, but everyone I've heard from thinks more or less the same thing about the realm. The argument that whatever is happening on Sentinels right now is in the best interest of the health of the realm is specious at best.

04/24/2012 10:21 AMPosted by Raintola
You must be new, but this isn't anything new on Sentinels.

Not new. I actually liked the quite atmosphere in Wrath. But it's moved from quiet to dead, and it's beyond the point where Blizzard needs to take action.
Edited by Jellie on 4/24/2012 12:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/24/2012 12:43 PMPosted by Jellie
they're simply the only options that we, as players have

I rerolled a new 'main' on a top twenty progression server. If I feel like doing high population stuff like raiding, arenas, or RBGs I go there. If I feel like doing casual stuff like leveling alts, farming the auction house, or getting my social fix I come home to good old #472 ranked Sentinels. With cross-account achievements / battletags (RealID 2.0) who gives a crap about what server you're on.

something was done a certain way in the past ... does not mean it should continue to be done that way in the future

As a fellow someone with "multiple 85s" it's not hard to level these days. What's stopping you from rerolling? If it's because your attached to your characters on a 'dead server' it sounds like the problem lies with your sense of entitlement.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
this server is the best wtf r u talking about

i enjoy dunking trash cans in tb and durotar
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
04/24/2012 01:20 PMPosted by Bite
As a fellow someone with "multiple 85s" it's not hard to level these days. What's stopping you from rerolling? If it's because your attached to your characters on a 'dead server' it sounds like the problem lies with your sense of entitlement.

Some people (like me) have multiple 85's and really don't want to reroll and do the whole process again. It's fun the first 7-8 times. After that you kinda want a break. Also, no monies for character transfers. It may be entitlement, but sometimes I feel like I've paid enough through subscriptions, faction changing, realm change, race changing, etc. that I have earned a free transfer or two.
Reply Quote
25 Gnome Rogue
Hi, Jellie.

I see someone reported your thread. Blizzard directed you here, you shared your thoughts with your community, and you got reported. And pelted with poo. I bet it feels great.

Hang in there, Jellie. Whoever you are. A Blue poster (Blizzard employee) responded to similar concerns over in the General area. He has been quoted (and requoted) as saying the developers are aware of the situation of many realms, and have "bold plans" to deal with the issue. (Before MoP presumably.)

If you can transfer in the near future, that would be your best bet. If not, why not wait it out, and see what "bold plan" gets implemented.

Sincerely,

Sparkelfy
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
04/24/2012 02:29 PMPosted by Sparklefly
And pelted with poo. I bet it feels great.

Why is it that when someone has an opinion, you assume they're being destructive?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

I don't like this argument. It shouldn't be a viable answer to ask someone to spend 100 hours of their time re-leveling a character, or especially to insist that it's their fault for not doing so. It's a long time investment to reroll, especially without heirlooms or friends, or any gold to buy bags and stuff.

There's also the problem of re-gearing, which will probably take about 40 hours of time to get yourself up to easily farmable gear status (which is enough to operate, but definitely not enough to compete fairly with highly geared people. The highest tier of gear always takes months.)

This is the same problem I have with a class-based game taking pvp seriously: If a rogue is overpowered and I want to try one for arenas, I literally have to spend months working on it in order to even TEST one personally. In Starcraft 2 if you think Zerg is overpowered, next game you pick zerg and you're good to go.

Transferring is a more viable option, in my opinion, but paying extra because circumstances beyond your control (server population, etc) in order to play how you were before is irritating. There's also no guarantee you'll like the people you meet on the new server.

With that said, I don't think it's Blizzard's responsibility to take care of the problem for you. Blizzard couldn't prevent the server population problem any more than you could, and now that its happened, the most they can reasonably do is offer free transfers here (see Blue's post for why server merging isn't realistic unless play literally becomes impossible). Sentinels is not the least populated realm around, so they won't. It will go to some realm that needs help even more badly (likely, a new realm).

I think that Blizzard is taking the right steps in allowing more and more things to happen cross-server, so that you can play with people you know no matter where they're from. In that way, you can do progression raiding as long as you find an open-minded guild. You can do rated BGs if you find an open-minded group. All is well.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
04/24/2012 02:03 PMPosted by Xavot

Some people (like me) have multiple 85's and really don't want to reroll and do the whole process again. It's fun the first 7-8 times. After that you kinda want a break. Also, no monies for character transfers. It may be entitlement, but sometimes I feel like I've paid enough through subscriptions, faction changing, realm change, race changing, etc. that I have earned a free transfer or two.

Bad Xavot, bad! You should know that your sub fees only entitle you to server access! (completely serious)
But for real. If you're not enjoying it here, you can either strive to change it or leave. If you don't want to do either of those or your plan to try to change the situation fails, you're pretty much SoL.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
I have a solution to your problem.

Become internet famous (I assume you aren't otherwise why would you be complaining about this?) and then announce to your audience that you are making an RP guild for non-RPers on the Sentinels server. You can even include unconventional naming rules, like forcing everyone to have "Brother" before their name.

Then, a few weeks later, once you have brought about 500+ people to the server, stop playing WoW, or just switch to a different character that no one in the guild knows about, causing the guild to taper away into nothingness and slowly fall apart over the course of a year because most of them only started playing on the server because of you. Most of them will then leave the server at that point, but about a hundred of them should stay.

These hundred strong will then go on to do other things, like make raiding guilds that will make their way through Dragonsoul and prepare for the MoP expansion. They will be raiders, PvPers, and maybe even a few of them will be real RPers!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I see what you did.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
04/24/2012 11:05 PMPosted by Raintola
I see what you did.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I'm sure that everyone has noticed; the server is dead. There are maybe three progression raiding guilds to speak of, the economy is a mess, and gaming here is simply becoming "unfun."

My far more than 2c incoming:
It is? Personally, my guild is still progressing at our own pace. Not as much as high pop realms, but we're still marching along. Economy? The PvP server I play on is about 50-200g more expensive for gems, chants and leg armor. Game being "unfun"? That is sheer personal opinion. I still have quite a bit of fun. The game is still very playable here.

Server merging is the WORST idea possible for an RP server. You will get the dredges of PvE/PvP servers at best or worse. Merging people from non-RP servers onto Sentinels will only cause massive catastrophe. You know all those battlegroup crashes where people would create characters to troll here until their realm was back up? Yeah, that times so much more. I speak from experience as someone who has used a free transfer from a high pop server.

I can understand not being happy here. I was that way toward the end of Wrath, but I transferred and re-rolled, found a great guild, had some awesome times there, and then transferred back to Sent's in late Cata. I still play with those PvP folks, but I always seem to end up back here. You are not stuck here. Be glad we have the transfer option at all! At one time you were stuck and re-roll was the ONLY option. If you don't want to spend the time re-rolling, transfer a single character. No one is telling you to transfer all or else. If you like that server more, transfer little by little. If you don't want to spend the money, rediscover something on Sent's you truly enjoy.

From the post I read, you want Blizzard to fix your problems. It doesn't work that way, sometimes you have to fix your own issues. Don't like something in your life? Change it. The same applies to gaming. Change is good if you want it and choose the path, but change that is not your own choosing? You will not be happy with it, and bringing other people into the equation will only decline the decent population we have here. I do not mean this in a crude way at all, but do as you choose, just don't bring the rest of us on this realm into it because of your personal unhappiness with this server.
Edited by Zoja on 4/25/2012 12:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I suppose it would depend upon WHAT you're looking for in a server , raiding guild or economy. I haven't found anything wrong with raiding aside from the fact the last 3 tanks we've recruited are flakier than a bowl of Kelloggs. I happen to like my raiding guild, it suits my personality, my time schedule and our pace usually isn't too bad.

The economy? Frankly, I have toons with enough professions that I'm completely self sufficient and the only time I go into the AH is to scrounge for hoochie gear that I'm too lazy to go out and farm myself. Personally, I like Sentinels, maybe thats just me or maybe I just have no grand expectations of trying to get into a top 100 guild, but its home and the people here are good.

I'm sure that everyone has noticed; the server is dead. There are maybe three progression raiding guilds to speak of, the economy is a mess, and gaming here is simply becoming "unfun." I think it's high time that Blizzard do something about this, and their response to me was, "Post on the Forums." So, not that I think anything will be done, but here's that post.Something must be done.
P.S.

I'm still up in the air about missing Dalaran or Shatt. There is a certain something about being able to come back from an AFK without finding Xavot humping me. I do miss him though at times.

/tar Xavot /moo
Edited by Ëvadne on 4/25/2012 12:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Xavot has an Alliance alt.He can still find you.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
Oh, she already knows.

/moo
Reply Quote
04/24/2012 02:03 PMPosted by Xavot
I can identify with your interest in not doing the footwork to reroll a character, which may be why you have taken advantage of Blizzard's reasonably priced 'premium' account services in the past. Lets not kid ourselves, anyone who can maintain an account is certainly not 'poor' in the true sense of the term. When you are speaking of spending $156-$180 yearly on entertainment, an additional fee to 'enhance' your account seems fair. A transfer is less than dinner for two at the dumpiest restaurant. If you have multiple dates, consider going steady with one ;)

On the other hand, how much is your time worth? If you are money conscious or just plain cheap like I am, you have to tauren-up and reroll.

04/24/2012 04:47 PMPosted by Ghòstly
I don't think it's Blizzard's responsibility to take care of the problem for you.
I think that sums up any rebuttal I could possibly have.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Oh, she already knows.

/moo
<3
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]