Nourish

1 Blood Elf Mage
Dear Druids,

In my guild, we have a resto druid that quite frequently goes an entire raid night without casting nourish even 1 time. We did Heroic Morchok, otherwise all bosses were normal mode. He has been dual healing most of the night with a Resto shaman, and on Morchok we had a priest that was holy.

Right now, we are about to pull Ultraxion (after 1 wipe), and his healing done is as follows:

Rejuv 36.2% 2241
Wild Growth 20.8% 3794
Efflorescence 15% 1264
Swiftmend 6.4% 92
Cleansing Flames 5.2% 216
Healing Touch 5.0% 46
Lifebloom 4.6% 443
Tranquility 2.5% 118
Regrowth 2.4% 143
Living Seed 1.3% 34
Essence of Dreams .5% 157

Spell, Healing %, Casts/ticks.

Is this normal? Is this right? Or is this fubar?

I would appreciate some insight and your opinions.

Thank you in advance.
Edited by Synthalas on 4/24/2012 7:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Mage
Update: Completed Warmaster and concluded raid for the evening. Still 0 Nourish casts.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Personally, I still cast nourish. Not nearly as much as I did in t11 and some of t12, but I still do. It's great as a cheap/easy way to get Harmony (mastery) refreshed and I"ll usually cast it on whoever has Lifebloom for a free refresh on that as well. If you run combat logs, check for his Harmony uptime and try to watch his mana during fights. If he's low on harmony uptime, he's probably using rejuv too much. If he's low on mana, but high on harmony uptime, he's using HT/regrowth too much (which may be the case with 46 HT casts)

On a fight like Ultraxion (when I actually got to heal it), I used WG on cd, rejuv on some random raid members (usually also including tanks), and fill in with Nourish on people. Towards the end when damage gets higher, I'll drop down to only Nourish when I can't use a clearcasting or swiftmend to get Harmony back up.

TLDR: Yes, he should be casting nourish. It's still very useful.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I haven't used nourish in months as a resto druid, with a couple of top 20 rankings. If you're not having severe mana issues, no reason to use it. The HPS and HPM are both lower than other choices. I simply refresh harmony with healing touch with no issues. I don't see any problem with him not using it.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Top 3 heals should be Rejuv, Efflorescence and Wild Growth all within 20-25%, so Efflorescence should be higher (probably needs to use Swiftmend on CD).

Now, Nourish is the most efficient way to keep Lifebloom up, but as long as Lifebloom is near 100% uptime, he should be fine, whether he uses HT, Nourish, Regrowth or Lifebloom to keep it up.
Reply Quote
81 Tauren Druid
04/24/2012 08:43 PMPosted by Xlyinia
Towards the end when damage gets higher, I'll drop down to only Nourish

wut
Reply Quote
As others have said: For druids now-a-days it's all about HPS maximisation.
And according to mathermimatics HT refreshing, regrowth refreshing or even LB refreshing(and using gained time on something else) are all better.
Reply Quote
86 Troll Druid
90%(Arbitrarily number pulled out my a$$.) of druid healing raid roles has been AoE healing anyway. o_O; Why Nourish when a pally can Single target them for more? (Or priests, or shamans.)

I've always had this mindset where a druid was there to stabilize and/or give enough time for the heavier healers to respond than to outright 100% heal someone. Was that a wrong assumption?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I almost never use Nourish in a raid, unless there is some severe downtime in healing. Now that my gear can handle it, I tend to use Regrowth more often to refresh Lifebloom/Harmony, and Rejuve has always been my raid "bread and butter". From the numbers you posted, they could be using Swiftmend more often/more effectively, but otherwise it looks fine.

My biggest concern or question is, why the heck are you forcing the poor thing to take the green crystal on Ultra? Druids should always be given the red crystal. Always. Although we can use green, with Efflo double-dipping from red, there is no reason any class should be given it over a druid. On Ultra, my number one heal is always Efflo, and I have solo-healed Ultra using nothing but red.

OK, our bear tank has the 4p bonus which was a big help, but the Disc priest went Shadow. It was fun!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
I'm recently new to healing in raids, but I have never found myself having "time" to cast Nourish. When I was modifying my behavior to maximize HPS, I found that Nourish was one of the worst ways to do it.

Druids seem to be far better served by focusing on AoE. Regrowth is your single-target oshi spell, with NS/HT available if NS is up. The only nourishing I did would be in-between phases if I see someone who really needs a cure without incoming damage.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I honestly have never used nourish, ever. (I've been a resto druid since vanilla btw)

If people aren't dying due to lack of heals, why does it matter what your druid is casting? Just wondering since when my guild raids we don't nit-pick people unless the fails start rolling in. :)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
There are tons of times where I have absolutely nothing useful to do. That's when I nourish. I think I tend to nourish a lot more than other druids though, but again I'm (generally) only using it when there isn't anything else useful I could be doing. But nourishing or not nourishing doesn't really make or break a druid, if their lifebloom and harmony uptimes are still good without using nourish and they're not going oom from using regrowth too much, then they aren't doing it wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
first: on ultra your druid should have the red crystal.

nourish is great for refreshing lifebloom and harmony, i use it all the time.

i also use healing touch all the time....it is the primary use for OOC.

i only use regrowth to proc nature's swiftness or if i have OOC proc during low damage phase i will regrowth the tank....at full or near full health at least the HoT may not be all over heal, when the majority of a healing touch would be.

every druid heals a little differently and many times it depends on the composition of the heal team. if he was solo healing one side of H Morchok he probably had little use for nourish.
Edited by Plantman on 4/25/2012 5:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The number one reason to cast Nourish, IMO, is to refresh Harmony when Clearcasting isn't active. And CCasting procs like a boss. If there are no fails, don't worry 'bout it!

Explanation: If you have to refresh Lifebloom, casting LB is cheaper and faster than casting Nourish. If you have to refresh Harmony, Swiftmend and Regrowth are fastest, and CC makes regrowth cheaper than Nourish.

And personally, even if Clearcasting isn't active, I'd rather use Regrowth .... Not too much, obviously, but point is I'd only use Nourish if I really had to. There are other ways to roll.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Mage
For clarification;

On Ultraxion our shaman gets red & blue, and our druid picks up green. They dual heal it.

As far as nit-picking his healing..

We have been doing Heroic Morchok for a few weeks now, and he is unable to solo-heal his side, hence the holy priest for that fight. Our Shaman healed on his paladin for the heroic Morchok fight, which is at 393 equipped. Our druid sits at 395 equipped, and has all 5 pieces of 397 tier.

I am unable to understand why our lesser geared paladin can solo heal his side, but our better geared resto druid isn't capable of healing his side. Even with the holy priest, their side is always dangerously low on health. It leads me to believe that this druid is doing something drastically wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Your druid should get red and the shaman green then blue.

It is because the stomp mechanic and the crystal soak favors the "second health bar" of paladin mastery and even more so the that of discipline priests.

Druids have to be timing the use of both Wild Growth and SM/Efflo correctly. And the peeps need to stay in the Efflo.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
04/25/2012 03:52 PMPosted by Synthalas
I am unable to understand why our lesser geared paladin can solo heal his side, but our better geared resto druid isn't capable of healing his side. Even with the holy priest, their side is always dangerously low on health. It leads me to believe that this druid is doing something drastically wrong.

Morchok side takes significantly more damage than Kohcrom side for the record, so that could be what's going on.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Mage
04/25/2012 07:04 PMPosted by Drimza

Morchok side takes significantly more damage than Kohcrom side for the record, so that could be what's going on.

He's always on Kohcrom's side.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]