Difficult pulls and newb tank help

84 Blood Elf Warrior
I've had this toon since Wrath but have only been tanking for a short time. I thought I had been doing well but I got kicked from my first group last night and it's kind of gnawing on me. I know 1 group out of 100 that I've done means the issue was probably more than just me but ugh.

The issue I'm having is with mobs that contain lots of casters. Think the very first pull in Vortex Pinnacle. I charge the middle mobs and gather them all up, heroic throw one of the casters (I'm talented for the silence) so he comes to me, and there is still another mob out there wailing on my healer. Usually when I charge it to hit it I am met with a lot of "omgwtfbbq quit moving the mobs!!1" This also happens with those annoying mobs in Stonecore than summon 4897489486461 imps.

Am I doing something wrong, or missing out an ability that would make this easier for me? Should I be pulling a different mob first? Do I tell my dps to can it and just do what I need to do? Am I missing some ancient Chinese secret to get mobs to like me and want to give me a hug?

Also, anyone see any reason why I should not be able to zone into higher level dungeons? I do have the BoA helm and cloak, but I have higher ilvl items in my bags. For some reason I always seem to get Stonecore or Vortex Pinnacle, both of which are beginning to incite large amounts of fiery rage. I'm just kind of upset that I'm also 85 and I'm still clad in mostly green gear I bought off the AH. :|

Also also, as far as tanks and currency are concerned, are there certain items I should be looking to spend my JP an VP on first? I'm sitting on about 3k justice right now and I don't know what shinies to buy first.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You can do the Thrall quest line an pick up a 365 cloak, and the first day of Molten Front Dailies to pick up a couple other pieces. I'd get the relic right away, pick those up, and do the Therazane quest line until you're friendly with them so you can pick up their tabard. Then, see what pieces need the upgrade most. Those 3 things should only take you a couple hours of play time.

Your avg ilvl overall is 308. To use the LFD tool:
All Level 85 Heroic Instances require an avg ilvl level of 329
SC and V Pin Normal instances require an avg ilvl of 281
LCoT, HoO, and GB Normal instances require an avg ilvl of 305
ZA and ZG require an avg ilvl of 346
Reply Quote
14 Dwarf Hunter
you're either going to have to suffer through normals for a while longer, pony up the AH dough, grind rep to get 333s from rep vendors, or grind instances as DPS and use your points to get tank gear.

go to the auction house, look up Redsteel Helm. it's a DPS piece, but it's a crafted 333, with a meta socket in it. it's pretty awesome until you can get a better helm out of heroics. if it's not in the AH, grab the mats for it (15 elementium bars) and spam trade for someone to make it for you. also think about grabbing yourself a crafted tanking shield, Elementium Earthguard, they run about 1500 or so on my servers AH, but again, you can grab the mats and have someone make you one for less usually.

your mistake, at least from an outsiders viewpoint, is that you didn't grind rep while leveling. personally, i stay in a zone until i'm honored with that zone's faction, then i head over to the next one. at honored, you can get a couple 333's which helps a lot in terms of doing dungeons. also make sure you grab the Earthen Ring tabard for the helm enchant. dragonmaw, too, if you plan on DPSing.

for JP purchases, go with tier 378's, and get the VP trinket (fire of the deep) as your first purchase from those. do the thrall quest line as suggested by the poster above, and the molten front dailies. you can grind them for gear, or just do it til you get the first set of gear from them, your pick.

for difficult pulls, i'd suggest practice. there really is no other way to get good at tanking. you need to learn what mobs cast what spells, which are going to be annoying, and which are safe to "ignore" and just use AoE's to keep threat on.

you used Stonecore as an example, the Rift Conjurers are the mobs you're talking about, and yes, they get annoying. to pull those groups, i would suggest using Heroic Throw to open, let them run at you a little to pull them away from the pats, charge -> rend -> thunderclap -> shockwave. then let them freecast their shadowbolt, and when they start casting their demonic portal, interrupt that - pummel, learn it, love it. poof, no more imps. little things like that are what make bad tanks into good tanks.

also: you should try to throw cheap chants on your better pieces, and good chants on your good pieces. and even if you dont' gem or enchant at all, make SURE you're at least reforging into mastery at every opportunity. it's so cheap and easy, it's a crime not to do it.
Edited by Freph on 4/22/2012 3:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
For that pull in VP, try Heroic Throwing one caster and Charging the other caster. The melee mobs should run to you.

You can interrupt the Rift Conjurors in Stonecore to stop them from summoning imps (the spell is called Demon Portal, so save your interrupt for that). The imps that do get summoned die really easy, so you don't need to worry about that too much as long as you get in a Thunder Clap/Shockwave/Cleave on them.

If people complain about you moving around to pick up stuff...ignore them. They're dumb.

Oh, and the Dungeon Finder won't queue you into anything but Stonecore and Vortex Pinnacle at 84 if you choose Random Dungeon. You have to queue for the three 85 dungeons specifically until you hit 85.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You have a 20s frontal cone stun, a 30s ST stun, a 60s disarm, a 30s ranged silence/interrupt, a 10s melee silence/interrupt, two offensive 25yd mobility CDs (15s and 30s), a defensive 25yd mobility CD (30s), another 40yd mobility CD with no target requirement (60s), an ability which can give you no-cooldown taunt, and a 3min AE taunt.

You don't have trouble with mob control.
Reply Quote
You have a 20s frontal cone stun, a 30s ST stun, a 60s disarm, a 30s ranged silence/interrupt, a 10s melee silence/interrupt, two offensive 25yd mobility CDs (15s and 30s), a defensive 25yd mobility CD (30s), another 40yd mobility CD with no target requirement (60s), an ability which can give you no-cooldown taunt, and a 3min AE taunt.

Mob control no, random PUG players working with her? ... lol
Gotta tank your party just as much as the mobs in a pug.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

Mob control no, random PUG players working with her? ... lol
Gotta tank your party just as much as the mobs in a pug.

Yup i can agree totally with this, in Pugs don't relay on anyone .. but YOU to do any of the jobs.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Using line of site them is also a good way of dealing with casters. You can either pull them and run around a corner, or if a corner isn't available, you can run backwards. Pulling and Heroic Leaping backwards and then charging in when they get to the spot you want them is my favorite.
Edited by Celandor on 4/23/2012 12:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
^ what he said

oh and don't forget arcane torrent it's a nice extra silence in a jam
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
Well with gag order warriors also get silence on their shield bash right? It's been a while since I tanked on my warrior, but I do remember running forge of souls at level 80, and some of those packs had like 3 casters in them. What I would do with my warrior would be to charge one caster and bash him, heroic throw another, so now two are silenced. Then I would move to the third caster. So now two of the casters are silenced and moving to me as I move to the third caster. Easy as that, all casters are grouped up.

Warriors are great for tricky pulls. Also don't forget about taunt. It will cause a mob to focus on you for a few seconds, giving you time to get the other mobs under control. And of course line of sight pulling is always good, just let your gorup know before hand because eager dps like to start hitting mobs as they run to you.
Edited by Imapwnurface on 4/23/2012 8:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
For pulls with a high amount of caster i would say try and see if your party is willing to use cc then you can just sap and poly any casters and pick them off one at a time.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
It's been a while but I think I did that pull like:

battle/commanding shout
charge caster on the right
heroic throw caster on the left mid charge
thunderclap (should get the two mobs on the right + middle )
taunt melee on the left

Groups with a lot of casters are generally better corner pulled, it's useful in Tol Barad particularly, but usually DPS don't even know what a corner pull is so good luck getting them to wait. For groups with three casters, you can silence two of them and pull them to the third caster that isn't silenced. I find it useful to charge/intercept after hitting pummel to get the caster to follow you faster.

When you get to Hour of Twilight, be aware that taunting forces the hunter mobs to close distance to you. They'll disengage again eventually but it lets you get a hit in to cover heal aggro without having to chase them or use up your heroic throw on them.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Man I hated that pull so much........

It's also partially up to your dps to help you bring them in, like say a dk to grip one in, or have someone with a ranged interrupt use said interrupt once you have some threat on it.

Not many pulls are that aggravating, so don't worry too much about it.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
I've gotta say a continuing source of annoyance for me is how bad, no scratch that, OBLIVIOUS to interrupting that dps are. I guess it's kind of understandable considering obsessions with the damage meter but PUG runs would be a lot easier if they'd occasionally throw in an interrupt. My pet peeve are the shadow priests in the mobs prior to the Asira fight. Occasionally the number of priests varies and it would sure be nice if someone could silence the other one. As a druid I only have 2 interrupts and one has a long cd so I'm a little jealous of you warriors.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warrior
For that pull in VP, try Heroic Throwing one caster and Charging the other caster. The melee mobs should run to you.

You can interrupt the Rift Conjurors in Stonecore to stop them from summoning imps (the spell is called Demon Portal, so save your interrupt for that). The imps that do get summoned die really easy, so you don't need to worry about that too much as long as you get in a Thunder Clap/Shockwave/Cleave on them.

If people complain about you moving around to pick up stuff...ignore them. They're dumb.

Oh, and the Dungeon Finder won't queue you into anything but Stonecore and Vortex Pinnacle at 84 if you choose Random Dungeon. You have to queue for the three 85 dungeons specifically until you hit 85.

This is what I would council as well. Heroic Throw one caster, charge other caster, rend, TC, turn, Shockwave, tab target for Shield Slam (grab lowest aggro mob), rend, TC, Revenge, SS, rinse repeat... if a caster is still far off, charge should be up during the pull, charge him and everyone will follow.

DPS has no business telling you how to tank. They are followers!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warrior
HT-one-caster, Charge-another is my preferred strategy. The only difficult bit about the Vortex Pinnacle mobs is that the melee "clouds" will rush you and stun for about a single GCD. When you aggro the pack, all you have time for is a HT/Charge, then you stand there for a second or two; if your party sucks, they can easily rip aggro during that stun. If you're on top of your rotation and know what to expect, it usually comes down to your party playing against you.

In the Stonecore, just before the Breaker of Pugs, you have to be aware of your stuns and interrupts. I generally end up pulling some fancy crap in that dungeon, using Charge or Heroic Leap onto the scouts to knock them out with a Shield Slam, then quickly spinning and using Heroic Throw on a conjurer, and switching target again to a melee mob to put a Rend on it and casting Thunderclap on the next GCD.

It gets pretty complicated to compensate for everything that your party can do wrong...and you're guaranteed to get a party that won't kill scouts, doesn't burn the conjurers, and refuses to interrupt spellcasting.

During those fights, I have to hold Shockwave and Intimidating Shout in reserve until I see the fire elementals casting their AOE spell and conjurers summoning the imps. Knock them all out with Shockwave or a fear-bomb...no more fire and no more imps. Rinse, repeat.

PS: grind regular dungeons until your fingers bleed. Buy all the Justice Point gear you can afford. Then go to heroics. Parties do not forgive undergeared tanks in Heroics. You'll be eaten alive until you have all the gear you can buy with emblems. But the good news is that by the time you grind out those points, you'll be an absolute expert at every busted pull, broken cc, and accidental overshoot. Once you know how to handle any stupid thing that your DPS and heals can throw at you in regular dungeons, move up to Heroics.
Edited by Cosimo on 4/23/2012 12:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
04/22/2012 02:26 PMPosted by Infuriated
4897489486461 imps.

I would have some framerate problems with that many:-)

04/22/2012 02:26 PMPosted by Infuriated
"omgwtfbbq quit moving the mobs!!1"

They'll get over it. Just tell them you use a smoker instead and they'll be so confused that they won't realize you're already to the next pull.

BTW, that Vortex pull is a pain in the @$$ I forgot my tactic for it the other day and looked like a real newb. Sounds like what you're doing is just about the best way you have.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]