Removal of Mass Summon, replaced w/FP speed

85 Night Elf Druid
Ride Like the Wind, is a new guild perk that was released on MoP beta, and is said to replace Mass Summon as a perk. I realize this is old news, but I've been very excited about this concept and want to hear people's thoughts on it.

My thoughts are the removal of this spell and the introduction of Flight Paths being faster than flying mounts is very exciting for the concept of World PvP. Flight Paths were a great way to run into the opposing faction at places such as Thorium Point, Everlook in Winterspring, and Cosmowrench near Tempest Keep. Such Flight Paths were both opposing factions would reach a choke point after leaving flight paths that were very close together. Nowadays, people either portal, are summoned, or simply fly on 310% speed flying mounts anywhere they want to go. This is one of the many things that I believe has killed world PvP as a whole, because it deters people from taking those Flight Paths and meeting people at such choke points as Blackrock Mountain Entrance, where everyone was meeting for a raid on popular raid nights.

Just some of my thoughts on the idea of Flight Paths returning to the game as a legitimate form of travel for players.

A link to the new guild perk : http://www.wowdb.com/spells/117983-ride-like-the-wind

And a link to mmo-champ's post regarding this new perk replacing Have Group Will Travel:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2748-Zandalari-Island-Preview-Misc-Beta-Changes-Cloud-Serpent-Questing-Area-Blue-Posts
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I havent been on a flight path since I got Epic flying, and if you fly the right way you're still going faster even with a 25% increase. THought it would be nice for low level toons.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Flight Paths always the easy way to get places!

And yeah I do think Flying Mounts & mass summon have ruined world pvp but mostly guards did aswell and them adding the dungeon finder.

But yes I'm sorta looking forward to that, would be kinda nice if they started to come back to where almost everyone uses it.
Edited by Winterfox on 4/24/2012 4:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
OMFG... NO MORE SUMMONING PEOPLE OFF CLIFFS AND INTO THE WHIRLPOOL IN STV. QQ
And more important, no more telling that one unimportant person in the raid to run to the portal and summon them. =O
Worst idea ever
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
04/24/2012 01:37 PMPosted by Razir
I havent been on a flight path since I got Epic flying, and if you fly the right way you're still going faster even with a 25% increase. THought it would be nice for low level toons.

Case in point, flight paths are pointless at max level. I thought they were a great way to encourage world PvP and get people going through the same areas. No one uses flight paths, hopefully they'll increase their flight speed to be faster than flying mounts are. Would love to get off a flight path and run into some alliance scum once and a while.
Edited by Plug on 4/25/2012 12:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
COME FLY WITH ME, LETS FLY FLY AWAYYYY
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
04/25/2012 12:29 AMPosted by Plug

Case in point, flight paths are pointless at max level. I thought they were a great way to encourage world PvP and get people going through the same areas. No one uses flight paths, hopefully they'll increase their flight speed to be faster than flying mounts are. Would love to get off a flight path and run into some alliance scum once and a while.

Well already the speed of the FP is 310%, (same as our master flight) so with this 25% increase, yes it'll make it faster. However if Blizzard really wants World PvP to be encourge, make a section in the level 90 areas to have a Wintergrasp effect. "No flying in here while blah blah blah is going on!" Just make it better, and not a hour long event, rather a constant.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
OMFG... NO MORE SUMMONING PEOPLE OFF CLIFFS AND INTO THE WHIRLPOOL IN STV. QQ
And more important, no more telling that one unimportant person in the raid to run to the portal and summon them. =O
Worst idea ever
Heh look at this noob doing it wrong.

You summon them somewhere with warlock portal, with a priest flying off the side of the cliff. When the person accepts the summon the priest lifegrips them off the side of the cliff to their death. Bonus points if you get them killed in an area where they can't get back to their body and have to take rez sickness.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue

You summon them somewhere with warlock portal, with a priest flying off the side of the cliff. When the person accepts the summon the priest lifegrips them off the side of the cliff to their death. Bonus points if you get them killed in an area where they can't get back to their body and have to take rez sickness.

Why do that when you can mass summon a raid of 40 and do that all at once? Not hard to find a floating point to land the summon off to where they'd fall.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
04/25/2012 07:27 AMPosted by Pajerk

Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful!
Reply Quote
1 Undead Warrior
I thought Mass Summon was a great tool for raiders to get everyone to raid instance at start, or if someone needs to go get something during raid breaks mass summoning is great. To remove it just becuase of PvP sucks since it now affects PvE.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
04/25/2012 12:29 AMPosted by Plug

You're missing the point. even with a + to the FP speed, flight paths don't take a direct path. As mathematics teaches us, the fastest path between two points is a direct line. Unless you are flying to a directly connected flight path, any intermediary hops will _always_ make the flight path method of travel slower that direct travel by mount, unless FP speed is faster by some ridiculously high percentage.

As someone else suggested, the only way you will ever actually cause world PVP to be affected by FPs is to institute large zones that do not allow flying... And I don't believe that is the direction Blizzard is trying to take, judging by the last two expansions. I believe they want you to be able to fly more places, not less.

All in all, this FP increase will only be beneficial sub-80, until you get your 310% mount speed.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjgqy5yxxjs
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I agree that it would be nice for world PvP but even with the 25% speed if the flight paths have to go through 3 others before reaching your destination its a little annoying... In order to go from Stormwind to Flamestar Post - Burning Steppes for instance it takes me to Thorium Point - Searing Gorge first Idk i just think thats a lil redudant. I have however seen the increased flight speed and its pretty fast i just like my mount for professions along the way :D or exploring or rares i just prefer that overall but like previously stated for leveling it would be nice. :)
Edited by Arisela on 8/7/2012 11:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
Stop.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
oO
Drop.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Shut em down, open up shop
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
08/07/2012 11:04 PMPosted by Falafelz
Shut em down, open up shop

You killed it.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm sure the chance to accidentally run into the opposite faction at a random fp will not increase that much with the addition of a 25% fp speed increase.

Removing Mass Summons in place of a useless pve tool at max level is simple pointless, all it does it increase the amount of time it takes to get a raid going. ppl who sit in capital cities doing nothing will still sit and do nothing. Not like they're gonna jump on a fp and cruise the world 25% faster cause they can now.

I don't get the logic behind a change like this, bad for pve and no benefit I can see for pvp either. Not that I care at all about pvp, world or otherwise.......
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
09/03/2012 06:39 PMPosted by Ashlinn
I don't get the logic behind a change like this, bad for pve and no benefit I can see for pvp either. Not that I care at all about pvp, world or otherwise.......

It stops people from summoning others(When MoP) hits to lvl faster going for realm firsts etc

atleast i think idk wtf im talking about
Edited by Winterfox on 9/3/2012 7:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]