DK or Pally? Who should be my main tank?

85 Human Mage
Hey all. I've been away from the game for some time and through a rez scroll picked up an 80 Pally. My problem is I'm not sure what role he's going to play. My primary tank has always been a DK. BUT When I left the game early Cata, DK's as tanks were quite squishy and unless uber-geared, weren't really viable end-game main-tanks.

I understand they've buffed Blood spec a fair bit and some people tell me the classes are so even it's not going to matter what I pick.. So my question is...who do I pick as my main Tank?

Do DK's still have a tendency to be squishy? Will DK's and Pally's be comperable to one another given they are properly geared?

I'm not looking for a flame on either race. I'm really looking for a conversation that tells me if having my DK as my main tank over my Pally is an obvious bad choice or if it won't matter. My Pally would then be a healer (which I don't have).

Thanks in advance for the help
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
it's not going to matter what I pick.. So my question is...who do I pick as my main Tank?

At the beginning of most expacks a tank with a shield is always nice. However I've heard that mop will be a different story.

If your good at playing a class you like playing it won't matter.

Dk's may have been squish early in cata but that didn't stop them from tanking. It just meant that the top guilds "prefered" to use another type.

Get over your elitism and enjoy playing your toon, you'll get a better experience out of wow this way <3
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Dks are only squishy if played poorly.

There were 2-3 bosses on firelands 25h that could indeed instagib a DK .. but that was about it.

No offense but only bad DKs were squishy. You can argue that DKs are not easy enough that any random peon can play it descently .. but if anything, well played DKs take less dmg than other tanks.

If you have a paladin and a DK equally geared and the DK takes more dmg, you are not playing it well .. it's kinda that simple.

And aside from DS where 2-3 fights heavily favour DKs on 10 man heroics, any tank can be a MT. If you wanna play with the "best", be ready to reroll every new tier of raid .. because the "best tank spot" is always changing.

So just pick whatever you like playing.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
[quote]
Get over your elitism and enjoy playing your toon, you'll get a better experience out of wow this way <3

I wasn't trying to be elitist at all. And I would enjoy tanking on either toon just as well. I just want to make sure I made the choice most beneficial to those I play with if it was going to make a difference. Sounds like it doesn't. Thanks for the reply.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I hear warlock tanks are popular!
Reply Quote
What Eflow said~ tanks, specs, talents and so much more change between patches and expacks there is no "better" choice unless you plan on having all 5 tanks at max level.

So if your trying to decide on just one, then it really becomes more about what you enjoy and just knowing the most about that class.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
DK is arguably best, if you know what you're doing.

Regardless of class--the sooner you start tanking, the better-suited you will be. Starting at 80 is a rough way to do it.

(If I were using a Scroll, I'd roll a class who couldn't level with instant queues via LFD, i.e. a pure DPS. Not just for fewer queue headaches, but also because DPS rotations in dungeons tend to be poor preparation for raids. AE spamspam use CDs now don't use them intelligently burstburstburstmoar)
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
Well right now DKs seem to take less damage if played right because of how their mastery works, but we're also late in the expansion and stats are huge on gear. But in MoP Bliz is adding active mitigation (similar to DKs death strike) to all tank classes I believe, so maybe that'll mean better balance early on.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, and I trust that Blizzard knows what they're doing, so I like to think tanks are generally balanced and Bliz tries to keep it that way. Sure things might move a little bit and some tanks may be stronger then others in some ways and on some fights, but I do think things seem pretty well balanced overall.
Reply Quote
With a new expansion coming up along with DKs being pretty strong now I would go DK. Remember quest zones are gonna be ridiculous the first week or so. But as a tank just skip them and stay in dungeon finder. Also once you do start questing blood is $$$ for questing because you cant die and you kill hella faster than a prot pally.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I can just honestly hope that the MoP talent trees for paladins are FAR from finalized, since it seems like 99.9% of the abilities are built to support holy and ret, while leaving prot paladins out in the cold. And yes, I would admit that DKs are far superior for tanking most fights in the current raids.
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Paladin
04/25/2012 03:32 PMPosted by Mestin
since it seems like 99.9% of the abilities are built to support holy and ret, while leaving prot paladins out in the cold.

Can you back up this claim? The talents look pretty damn good to me.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
since it seems like 99.9% of the abilities are built to support holy and ret, while leaving prot paladins out in the cold.

Can you back up this claim? The talents look pretty damn good to me.

Tier 1 speed boosts. They're not really all that important to a tank.

Tier 2 Snares. See Tier 1.

Tier 3 Self-Healing. This could be considered a "Tank" tree but tanks that heal themselves by any significant amount tend to cause balancing issues.

Tier 4 Party Assists. Hand of Purity could be compared to AMS in a way.

Tier 5 Wrath Attack! Okay this one is more directly a boost to active mitigation since they all give more HP to use in different ways. But only under Wrath.

Tier 6 Is...damage? Okay damage and self-healing. See Tier 3.

So, not all of them, but most of them certainly aren't all that "tank" oriented. Tank by proxy is a bit more accurate. But to be fair, very few talents for any of the other tank classes are very strongly poised as "tank" talents, but also tank-by-proxy talents.
Edited by Feandel on 4/25/2012 3:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Paladin
04/25/2012 03:52 PMPosted by Feandel
But to be fair, very few talents for any of the other tank classes are very strongly poised as "tank" talents, but also tank-by-proxy talents.

I think you're onto something there! You could have started with this sentence and left the rest out, but since you went through all that trouble, allow me to respond in kind:

Tier 1: Mobility is great for tanks.
Tier 2: Having a reliable ranged CC/stun/slow is certainly useful.
Tier 3: Sacred Shield increases the crit chance of Word of Glory, which is a serious part of our toolkit again.
Tier 4: Cooldown reduction seems pretty great.
Tier 5: With no cooldown on WoG, and the stacking nature of Bastion of Defense, Holy Avenger seems like it would be great for burst healing. I will probably take Divine Purpose though, since it spices up the rotation.
Tier 6: Damage is Healing! Healing is Damage!

You guys seem to always argue the same conflicting things:

If any one talent/tier is obviously true tank/healer/dps related, then that talent is the obvious pick for your spec, and everyone complains that there isn't really a choice.

If all talents are more ambiguous, general usage talents, everyone complains that the choice doesn't matter.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Honestly, I am leaning toward DK myself. I think Blizzard has lost their mind when it comes to the active mitigation model, and DKs seem to be in the best condition to weather the unholy storm the devs are setting up.

That's just my take on it.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
To also be fair, it seems like blizzard is just disguising their new "you will pick choices that will seem more meaningful" as being "we have revamped the talent tree and put it in for show, because the vast majority of your pertinent abilities and passive abilities that are crucial to your particular spec have already been included within your leveling model".

I understand the necessity to maintain the appearance of pseudo-customization, but in reality, the way things are going, soon there wont even be talent trees, everything will be included within the leveling process. So character-wise we are left with the essential equivalent of a next-gen JRPG, with all of the necessary MMO perks tossed in.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
Honestly, I am leaning toward DK myself. I think Blizzard has lost their mind when it comes to the active mitigation model, and DKs seem to be in the best condition to weather the unholy storm the devs are setting up.

That's just my take on it.

I think they'll get it right. This is still beta, and there's lots of time.

Just think about when cataclysm came out and healing was changed pretty dramatically. From what I remember it went pretty smoothly, so I'm sure these tanking changes will also.

I for one am looking forward to it. Paladin has always been my main tank over the years, but I've gotten pretty bored of it in cata, so some changes to the playstyle and active mitigation sounds nice to me... if Bliz can get it to work well that is, but I still feel they'll get to that point!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I'm probably going to be switching from Barfus (my paladin) to Juggynaut (my DK) in Pandaland, depending on how the classes make it through beta, I have a lot easier time playing the DK lately then the Paladin, maybe because i've played the pally for like 5 years and am totally lazy at playing it.. and the DK is "new and exciting" since i've only played it for 3 years..
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]