How important is gear at low level?

90 Draenei Paladin
I pugged into Scholomance the other day and immediately had a party member question my gear. I knew it wasn't premium gear but didn't think that was all that important until the higher levels. We cleared the instance pretty easily and the healer said that it was her 4th run in Scholomance of the day and by far the smoothest clear so I'm still unclear as to when I really need to start taking my gear a bit more seriously. I will say that the dps seemed pretty competent and my gear was worse then than it is now.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Not. Important. Period.
Reply Quote
62 Human Death Knight
Up to a certain level as long as you get gear that has the right stats (Ex: INT for healers and Stamina for Tanks) you should be good.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
If you start stacking purely stamina gems, I just might let you die... >.>

Possibly intentionally, but either way I might not be able to heal you through mobs if you keep getting 3 shotted without having dodge/parry. I'd also beg to differ on the matter of gear in lower level dungeons. It's not as important say as WotLK or even TBS, but I want you to at least get some enchants and potions to make my life easier. We go through gear like dirty gym socks, but keep 'em buffs coming. :)

Make your padres happy. o3o
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
tanking in spirit mail is a bigger problem then the actual stat loss is.
Reply Quote
Gear is as important as you want it to be. If you're satisfied with doing things half-assed and "good enough" is acceptable to you, then your gear won't matter until at least Ramparts, probably not until Nexus.

I would never call a player out on gear choices before then, but I know I certainly would not step into an instance in less than desirable gear.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Gear is as important as you want it to be. If you're satisfied with doing things half-assed and "good enough" is acceptable to you, then your gear won't matter until at least Ramparts, probably not until Nexus.

I would never call a player out on gear choices before then, but I know I certainly would not step into an instance in less than desirable gear.

Half-assed? I always thought tanking was more of a pass/fail discipline. I get my group through the dungeon then I did good, we wipe, I failed (there are a few exceptions). I just don't see the point in blowing gold on gear in the AH when I'm blowing through levels and I'm not a huge fan of heirlooms.
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 12:07 AMPosted by Baabarella
Half-assed? I always thought tanking was more of a pass/fail discipline. I get my group through the dungeon then I did good, we wipe, I failed (there are a few exceptions). I just don't see the point in blowing gold on gear in the AH when I'm blowing through levels and I'm not a huge fan of heirlooms.

If that's how you like to play, then it's pretty clear what the answer is. Like I said, I'm not of the mind to pass judgment on others as long as bosses are dying and players aren't.

To put it in perspective, my wife and I ran a returning friend through a few L85 normals today. I decided to do them in my full tanking gear because my farm set had a few new pieces that aren't gemmed yet, and I don't run unenchanted and/or with empty sockets. I didn't and wouldn't stop to inspect and see if any of the PUGs had empty sockets. It's not important to me if they do. it's only important to me if I do.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
re: "How important is gear at low level?"

Try running the instance without anyone wearing any gear.

Notice any difference?
Edited by Wangatuer on 4/26/2012 2:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
As long as you aren't naked you should be good
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
04/26/2012 02:51 AMPosted by Scootaloo
As long as you aren't naked you should be good

I wouldn't be surprised if a naked Paladin tank (with a grey sword + shield on) could solo some of the vanilla instances, tbh...

04/25/2012 09:48 PMPosted by Valdren
Possibly intentionally, but either way I might not be able to heal you through mobs if you keep getting 3 shotted without having dodge/parry.
You have no idea how easy vanilla instances are, and how good healers are at healing in those level ranges.
Edited by Corpsetwo on 4/26/2012 3:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It
Well you won't need all tanking gear until during WotLK and even than it's not until later on. You can easily suffice with half DPS and half tanking gear or even 1/3 tank and 2/3 dps gear. As long as if you do have gems you try to gem cheap into dodge or parry you should be fine.

Playing the class good is definately more important than having the right gear since a badly geared tank can be easy to heal while a good geared tank can be hard if they don't do things the right way.

What I mean is making sure you are targeting the right enemies and interrupting certain things, not standing in stuff, using CDs and not turning your back so you can't dodge or parry or block for that matter.

There are alot more people here who can probably tell you better than me since I haven't tanked alot on my DK but what I have noticed(while healing) is there are alot of CDs and abilities to use for alot of classes. What you don't do though is go into a dungeon in healing gear since that is in no way effective for dps or tanking.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

You guys bother gemming pre-cap gear?

Put it this way. Tanks aren't even necessary anymore. The most important thing they bring to a group before about 60 is actually DPS. Tank AOE can be insane with a few heirlooms.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
04/25/2012 07:09 PMPosted by Hippoli
Not. Important. Period.

This.

When playing tank/healer at low level I like to put on enchants, they're not necessary but since my 1st level 85 toon has max enchanter/tailor and she has mats up the wazoo....I simply throw them on to make my life a little easier.

One recommendation:
I see that you are in a high level guild, these tend to have a guild bank full of low level enchanting scrolls left over from people leveling enchanting. You should be able to pick up some for free from the bank.

If you don't see the scrolls your want in your guild, there's also a good chance that you'll find a guild member with enchanting profession who might be able to give you those low level enchants for free.

I'm the officer for my guild and I'm surprised how guild members don't approach me for free enchants.
Edited by Cyberdeth on 4/26/2012 9:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight

Then you fail as a healer.

Most of the tanks I have seen in the past year or two have been sporting dps heirlooms...no dodge / parry on any of their gear. Meanwhile, pre-Mastery, which isn't available until 80 anyway, stamina is the single best tanking stat, giving you more effective health then dodge or parry. Meaning you actually have the health to avoid more than 2-3 hits until the healer does their job.

Of course, this assumes you are bothering to pull whole rooms, otherwise a healer is generally not needed. Personally though, I prefer stacking strength on my low-level tanks since the dps can barely justify their presence when the tank and discpline priest (who will keep a stamina gemmed tank up just through smite healing), accounts for more than 60% of the dps.
Reply Quote
72 Human Warrior
Before I hit my 60's I worried more about grabbing dps pieces of gear than I did tank gear for one reason... DPS wearing heirloom gear. I only had the brown sword, so I knew that if I wanted to at least hold threat I was going to have to hit as hard as I could with the gear that was available to me. Doing so I was able to hold threat no problem.

Once I hit 58 and started TBC content is when I noticed a big difference on survivability. So I quested for a bit to start getting some "tanking" pieces. (back when tanking wore plate gear with high stam and agility). I started tanking again and then was able to not get railed too hard from 58 to 68.

Then came NR content. Right off the bat I had someone craft me the entire cobalt tanking set and shield, and just grinded to level 70. Now I'm sitting on decent HP and practicing rotating my CD's, trying to keep them on as much uptime as possible.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]