SLI/Crossfire and WoW

90 Pandaren Hunter
ive heard that WoW doesn't support SLI/Crossfire, and im not sure where to search/or ask, so i thought this would be the best place to do so. Does WoW support SLI/Crossfire or does it not? If not are there any other plans on it supporting SLI/Crossfire?
Reply Quote
80 Orc Mage
Nvidia and AMD support WoW by updating the SLI/Crossfire profiles. WoW does not support Nvidia and AMD in this matter.

In Short, it works but only as much as Nvidia and AMD can code it to. WoW doesn't split the load very well and in some cases Single cards/disabling SLI/CF outperform
Edited by Yousel on 4/25/2012 8:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
World of Warcraft scales quite well with Crossfire, actually. Be sure to play in DirectX 11 mode and you should see a boost to performance. Be sure to always run the latest drivers and if you're a Crossfire player you'll also want to keep up with AMD's Catalyst Application Profiles.

For what it's worth, here's some benchmarks I've run with my Crossfire setup:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3053897547
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
unfortunately im a nvidia fan boy and ive got two 560gtx's right now. ive got SLI disabled because i was told it didn't work, and frankly it didn't show much performance, but the way (atleast for the first couple zones of pandaland) pandaria looks and its just so beautiful id like to run the highest possible settings and still get about 30-60 frames. Do you have any information on the nvidia end?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Blood Elf Hunter
04/25/2012 08:06 PMPosted by Schwebels
unfortunately im a nvidia fan boy and ive got two 560gtx's right now. ive got SLI disabled because i was told it didn't work, and frankly it didn't show much performance, but the way (atleast for the first couple zones of pandaland) pandaria looks and its just so beautiful id like to run the highest possible settings and still get about 30-60 frames. Do you have any information on the nvidia end?

SLI should work just as well with World of Warcraft. Be sure to play in DirectX 11 mode, though, or you're really not going to see any difference. Even then, the difference isn't always going to be major. Only areas that really strain the graphics hardware will see improvements.

Also of note is the Mists of Pandaria's beta doesn't seem to yet have the same level of support for multi-GPU setups. It's up to Nvidia and AMD to provide updates so that it performs at the same level that Cataclysm does. This isn't likely to happen until MoP releases or is near release, though.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I have a new Alienware M18X R2 with dual AMD 7970M Crossfire.
I am finding that periodically everything locks up requiring a reboot to get out of it.
This is a royal pain when tanking in raids. It screws everyone over.
The good thing is that with a caching SSD I can reboot and get back in quickly, but this is not a good situation.
I am running DirectX 11 on Win 7 64bit, with WoW 64bit
My CPU and GPU temps are quite good.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop the crashing ?

Thanks
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
What kind of lockup? Is it the game? Your comp? Do you get a blue screen? Are you overclocking? If so you might be pushing the components too far.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Sorry, I didn't notice your reply.
The lockup part seems to have gone away with a WoW Patch and 7970M driver update.
However regardless of all the updates I still get blue screens at launch 30% of the time.
I can launch ok, but when I hit the Play button it can BSOD, usually when I get to the point of logging in I am ok.
It is very frustrating as I only have a problem with WoW blue screening, nothing else seems to be a problem so far.
One thing that seems to help most of the time, not always is deleting the files/folders in : C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\ prior to launching.
It would really be great if Blizzard could get this issue fixed. Blue screens suck and have a chance to corrupt the drive each time.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
the lockup hapened to me on both my comps with mop bata to. had to w8 fore the 2nd pach and it fixed it on 1 of the comps. im trying to bild a comp now thot of having 4 way sil 3gb each hope i dont have trouble with my set up intel ivery 6 core, 64gb ddr3 2100 ram in quad chanel . 2 512gb ssd rade. asus P9X79-E WS mobo think i need 2 1500 wat psu lol fore the vidio cards lol hope it will work i want to do a millen fps lol sorry fore the bad spelling to hope this helps both of us
Edited by Kyaiud on 6/6/2013 1:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]