The next Warchief (spoilers)

04/27/2012 11:15 AMPosted by Pyronaptor
My feeling at a deep, gut level: how could the Warchief of the Horde ever not be an orc?

The Horde is different from the Alliance in that all of the races are in a blood pact with each other. While the Alliance is, well, an Alliance, the Horde is more than that.

At it's center, the races depend upon each other. Long gone are the days when the Horde was a bunch of Orcish clans banded together. Garrosh is a fool because he was a racist, and believed only Orcs were really worth time, and maybe Tauren. Remember the rumors on how every non Orc and Tauren was being kicked out of the center of Orgrimmar and not allowed in?

With more danger on the horizon, the Horde needs to look past the boundaries of race and realize they're in this together, and that without each other, they can't survive.

"You would turn your back on your own people?"

"De Horde is my people."

I'd like to addendum this.

Orcs, Tauren, and Trolls are the core of the Horde and are as you say they are, brothers and equals. Goblins are kind of outlayers to that group. I don't think it would be wrong to call them the workforce.

However, Forsaken and Blood Elves are most certainly apart from that close knit allegiance. They truly are just allies to the Horde. More loosely connected to them than even the members of the Alliance are.

They truly do make that "alliance on convenience" angle true.

So while I agree that at this point it is possible for a non-Orc to be Warchief of the Horde.

That Warchief would have to be either a Tauren or a Troll.
Reply Quote
04/27/2012 02:18 PMPosted by Brukk

You agreed with me and I agree with you. If there is going to be a warchief it's going to be either a troll, tauren, or Orc. And I really can not see anything other than an orc as warchief.
Reply Quote
04/27/2012 02:25 PMPosted by Lumani

You agreed with me and I agree with you. If there is going to be a warchief it's going to be either a troll, tauren, or Orc. And I really can not see anything other than an orc as warchief.

Honestly, I agree.

While Tauren and Trolls are technically possibilities, I don't think there is a hope in hell for it to actually happen.

The Warchief after Garrosh will be an Orc.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
04/27/2012 01:00 PMPosted by Lumani
*Citation Needed*
http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/07/23/thralls-return-to-the-horde-and-more-lore-from-san-diego-comic/

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/pc/games/175626.World-of-Warcraft-Mists-of-Pandaria/features/138733.20120319.Blizzards-J.-Allen-Brack-on-Mists-of-Pandaria/

Thrall getting the killing blow is per Red Shirt Guy from his dinner with Metzen.
Reply Quote
Gameplanet: Can you tell us a bit more about the upcoming raid on Orgrimmar?

Brack: Sure. We haven't designed very much of it right now, we just know we do want to have the recognition from the Horde and Alliance that we have to depose Garrosh as the leader of the Horde and reinstate Thrall as Warchief. I'm really excited about it from a player perspective, because I think if you're an Alliance player, the idea about doing a raid into the heart of your enemies capital is really satisfying, and deposing the enemy leader is super gratifying. On the Horde side, it's going to be super cool to have a raid in your own home town, and who doesn't want Thrall to be the leader of the Horde?
BOOM! Headshot! Discussion is over.
Reply Quote
04/27/2012 02:33 PMPosted by Daavead
*Citation Needed*
http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/07/23/thralls-return-to-the-horde-and-more-lore-from-san-diego-comic/

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/pc/games/175626.World-of-Warcraft-Mists-of-Pandaria/features/138733.20120319.Blizzards-J.-Allen-Brack-on-Mists-of-Pandaria/

Thrall getting the killing blow is per Red Shirt Guy from his dinner with Metzen.

I knew that was going to come around and bite us in the butt.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
[quote="47677689847"]

"You would turn your back on your own people?"

"De Horde is my people."

I love that so much. I'd like for him to be, I just don't think they'll take it that route.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
So it's offical, it's Thrall . . . well on the bright side Garrosh will be dead.
Reply Quote
The Garrosh thing is still just, terrible.

In MoP we're going to get two new quest events.

One that turns Varian from an interesting character into the boring hero.

And one that turns Garrosh from an interesting character into the boring villain.

And then peace will break out all over Thrall's face.

Wooo.....
Edited by Brukk on 4/27/2012 3:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Huh..... well, /thread

Gonna be honest though, I won't be unhappy to see Garrosh gone. Never liked him to begin with.

Every time I picture Garrosh, I picture that blubbering excuse for an orc in Nagrand
Reply Quote
04/27/2012 03:51 PMPosted by Aurriastraza
Every time I picture Garrosh, I picture that blubbering excuse for an orc in Nagrand

That is due to Blizzard dropping the ball on their character development for Garrosh.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
04/27/2012 03:52 PMPosted by Brukk

That is due to Blizzard dropping the ball on their character development for Garrosh.
Reply Quote
88 Worgen Warrior
Uuugh. I really don't want Thrall back as Warchief.

Thing is, I actually really like Thrall as a character. He's a good guy, and a good leader. But... we just spent the whole last expansion following his story. He had a good story arc. He realized what -he- wanted, and, what I took away from it, being Warchief wasn't part of it; his story arc needs to end. Let him live his days raising his family in... I dunno, Nagrand. Having him become Warchief, in my eyes, just makes him look like he's either learned nothing from his Cata story arc or he's indecisive as Hell.

That, and, I think making him Warchief does the Horde a disservice. It just paints all the other leaders as these poor, incompetent (or in Sylvanas' case, psychotic) ninnies that can't do anything right without Papa Thrall wiping everyone's noses. And, as far as Thrall being a good leader is concerned, it doesn't say much, to me, if a leader can't even get his people to a point where they are ready to move on without him.

But, here's where the plot thickens; Blizzard has written itself into a corner. Who else CAN be Warchief? No one has as much character development. Sure, they could spend the expansion writing in a story as someone gets ready to meet the challenge, but that would be too much effort.

TL;DR, I like Thrall, but I don't think he should be Warchief, but if Garrosh is getting killed, Thrall's the most viable choice.
Reply Quote
Serious Answer: Zaela or Vol'jin/Baine.

Joke Answer: Basic Campfire, dammit!
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Nefarian's Head for Warchief!

You can count on it to always be there!
Reply Quote
Serious Answer: Zaela or Vol'jin/Baine.

Joke Answer: Basic Campfire, dammit!

I don't really consider Zaela a good candidate for Warchief right now. If she gets enough story development possibly, but it would have to be a lot and fast.

From what I've seen she's a decent enough character, but she tends to idolize Garrosh. Since there will need to be plenty of bosses in the Siege of Orgrimmar and any lead-up content, this does not bode well for her surviving MoP.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Cataclysm
This section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
Rexxar will play a role in the Cataclysm World Event. Other then that it is unknown what other roles he will play in Cataclysm.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
So, I just realized something

If Garrosh is going to become a raidboss, guess which loot he's likely to drop, and which loot might be removed because of it?

Hint: It's a helluva big axe
Reply Quote
So, I just realized something

If Garrosh is going to become a raidboss, guess which loot he's likely to drop, and which loot might be removed because of it?

Hint: It's a helluva big axe

I find it very unlikely Gorehowl will be an actual drop in the Siege of Orgrimmar. Gorehowl's fate will be of some significance to the story, and "Some random soldier picked it up" isn't a very compelling story.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]