Level 80 Dungeons???

90 Night Elf Druid
I just reached level 80 a couple hours ago. When I tried to queue for a Random Dundeon, I was unable to do so.

I was trying to queue for Random Cata Dungeons - it said 'you do not meet the requirements for the chosen dungeons' ?????????

I also have a new selection for Random Lich King Dungeons - when I put my cursor over it, it says 'You may not queue for this. You need a higher average item level. (Requires: 180. Currently: 160.) This makes sense Unless these are the only Dungeons I can run now, then I am stuck. (Added: I was running LK dungeons like crazy the past days and getting gear, but suddenly my gear SUCKS!)

Authenticator question: when I log into my Wow account it rarely ever asks for my code because I log in from the same computer, BUT when I log into this Forum it almost always demands my authenticator code and that is getting very annoying. What's up with that?

EDIT: Edited to make more sense.
Edited by Justabella on 4/26/2012 6:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
1) Your item level is too low. Cataclysm Greens are 287 and up, and most of your gear is from Wrath. You'll need to up your item level to (I believe) 226. Questing in Cata zones will get you the gear you need, and the random world drop greens drops like rain (or did!), so check the AH for your server - it may be available for a song.

2)It's web, versus game client. That's how it rolls... and a good thing too.

<S>
Edited by Sylth on 4/26/2012 5:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
WTF?

I don't do battlegrounds because I refuse to be a punching bag to a bunch of BoA freaks.

I have the best possible gear from doing Dungeons and quests up till this point.

I have been spending money at the AH like a drunken sailor trying to make sure I have the best gear and best possible Enchants that don't cost a fortune.

I just looked at the AH and there are only 1 or 2 items that are for my class / spec and they cost 400 - 600 gold each and I still wouldn't be close.

I bailed back to the mainland after doing 1 1/2 quests in Vashj'ir because my gear sucks compared to Cata gear, and I had Daily Quests I needed to do.

I can't do dungeons to improve my gear to rectify the situation.

I don't even know how to get back to Vashj'ir because I left my home in Northrend for the Daily Quests.

Yeah, this has all the earmarks of my final reason to quit and quit paying for daughter's account as well.
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 06:19 PMPosted by Justabella
Yeah, this has all the earmarks of my final reason to quit and quit paying for daughter's account as well.

Calm down. While you had the best up to that point it really isn't the best (some of your gear is actually pretty old) Most people when the expansion came out had item level 264 equipment from wrath raids and could go right into the new dungeons. It wouldn't make sense to make the new dungeons tuned for people with level 72 gear such as you are outfitted in (your equipped item level is 149). They would have been facerolls for people getting done raiding in wrath. So to tune it for that, they had to make the new dungeons a step up from the raids that people were just doing.

The simple fact is you'll have to quest to get some gear. It comes VERY quickly. Quest drops from hyjal or vashji'r are item level 277. It may be easier to do Hyjal, it's more straight forward.

No reason to get all worked up and threaten to quit or anything!
Edited by Bavra on 4/26/2012 6:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/26/2012 06:19 PMPosted by Justabella
I don't even know how to get back to Vashj'ir because I left my home in Northrend for the Daily Quests.

The portals to the Cata zones are just northeast of the Dwarven District in SW, on a small island -- one of the first quests at 80 sends you there to view the intro to Cata by looking into a scrying bowl, and as you start questing in each zone a new portal will become available. The Vash portal takes you back to the most recent place where you received quests.

FWIW Outland gear was better than 1-60 gear, Northrend gear was better than Outland gear, and Cata gear will be better than Northrend gear. When MoP comes out, the 85-90 gear will most likely make all of our awesome Cata gear obsolete, it's just how the expansions work.

Gratz on 80!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Calm down. While you had the best up to that point it really isn't the best (some of your gear is actually pretty old) Most people when the expansion came out had item level 264 equipment from wrath raids and could go right into the new dungeons. It wouldn't make sense to make the new dungeons tuned for people with level 72 gear such as you are outfitted in (your equipped item level is 149). They would have been facerolls for people getting done raiding in wrath. So to tune it for that, they had to make the new dungeons a step up from the raids that people were just doing.

I was told by people on here several times that the lower level raids became all but extinct with the last expansion. Now nobody wants to put a lot of time into level 70 - 80 raids when that gear won't last very long.

This may have been a smooth transition for people who had already maxed out their toons before the expansion when lots of people did the 70 - 80 raids because they were the highest level raids and had the best gear, BUT now almost nobody is doing those raids because of the new higher level raids, so I can't get the same gear. It's kind of hard to run raids alone.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining because it is going to be hard to get to 85 and/or take a while, but by creating this huge rift space between Expansions they just created the first ever day of my WoW life where I AM NOT HAVING FUN ANY MORE.

Yeah I like doing a lot of Dungeons and now that has been taken away, the WoW PvP (battlegrounds) is broke completely and now with the huge expansion gear differential Questing is not fun either because my gear SUCKS and a friggen Crab is kicking my !@# as a level 80.

With not doing battlegrounds because of all the BoA Gear people totally making that suck and not being able to do Raids because nobody wants to do the Raids from the last expasion, I have the best gear I could get from Quests, random loots, Dungeons and the AH (except items listed for like 5000 gold) and now it's totally crap.

Yes I'm pissed and I think there are other games out there that would be fun until those games start expanding too much and destroy the game for any potentiially new players.
Reply Quote
I only mention about the old raids because that's how the developers needed to balance the expansion when it came out. I know that it would be hard if not impossible to do the old raids now (which is unfortunate).

In regards to your desire to keep dungeoning, you still have quite a bit of gear that can be replaced in the level 80 regular dungeons that you are able to queue for now. You can also once you get up to 180 item level, do the heroic wrath dungeons. That will drop item level 200 gear. That should make your transition to the hyjal quests a bit easier.

It's unfortunate that there is this roadblock, I'm totally aware of it because I've leveled 5 toons through it. It's a pain, but it's really the only way to get through it. I would give hyjal another chance and just take it slowly. I like hyjal a little more because it's all in front of you instead of swimming above and below you as well. The quest rewards were designed to get you equipped quickly as nearly all of the quests have some type of reward.

You'll notice with a few upgrades (you desperately need new trinkets, they are from level 40-50), your item level will go up quickly and you'll be able to continue on in the dungeons of cataclysm.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Hunter
The fastest way to gear up is to quest in cata zones, or to buy some cata greens, or both. For example, it takes like six or seven quests to get Repurposed Twilight Stave, which is way better than anything you can get in Lich King dungeons. I also second Bavra; Hyjal is much, much easier to quest in than Vashj'ir, especially if you are undergeared. It is far harder to accidentally pull more than you can handle when you are not in water.

Also, you are wearing a lot of cloth. Druids want leather, because wearing all leather pieces gives them a 5% bonus to their primary stat.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It's unfortunate that there is this roadblock, I'm totally aware of it because I've leveled 5 toons through it. It's a pain, but it's really the only way to get through it. I would give hyjal another chance and just take it slowly. I like hyjal a little more because it's all in front of you instead of swimming above and below you as well. The quest rewards were designed to get you equipped quickly as nearly all of the quests have some type of reward.

You'll notice with a few upgrades (you desperately need new trinkets, they are from level 40-50), your item level will go up quickly and you'll be able to continue on in the dungeons of cataclysm.

The fastest way to gear up is to quest in cata zones, or to buy some cata greens, or both. For example, it takes like six or seven quests to get Repurposed Twilight Stave, which is way better than anything you can get in Lich King dungeons. I also second Bavra; Hyjal is much, much easier to quest in than Vashj'ir, especially if you are undergeared. It is far harder to accidentally pull more than you can handle when you are not in water.

Also, you are wearing a lot of cloth. Druids want leather, because wearing all leather pieces gives them a 5% bonus to their primary stat.

The Gear choices are pretty confusing without weighing in Item Levels.

I still remember passing on several items earlier on although they were quite a bit higher level-wise, they had crappy stats and the only reason I wanted higher level items was so I could use better enchants. But who would want to waste a lot of gold to enchant an item with crappy stats anyway.

I had all leather fairly recently, but I would get cloth items with significantly better stats and how was I to know that there would be this great divide of gear levels once you reached level 80. After all I was doing randoms yesterday at level 79 with the same gear and doing just fine.

Just in case I feel better about this in a couple of days (or rather not as pissed about it), is there any trick(s) to getting to Hyjal? I had Quests leading me to Vashj'ir.

Thanks for the replies, I am not pissed at you guys, but I am pissed that the only difference for me after reaching level 80 is the fun stopped.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Try to understand this from a game design perspective. Either you'd be able to roll through a cata dungeon in lowbie wrath gear which would mean in cata gear you would completely stomp a cata dungeon and probably finish it in under 5 minutes, or the alternative, that they make the dungeon hard but you can que for it in your wrath gear and get owned. Blizzard has decided to pick the latter but without letting you que.
Edited by Monmonn on 4/26/2012 9:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Hunter
There should be a quest from the Hero's Call board (in Stormwind) that leads you to Hyjal. You will be sent to speak with someone in Stormwind Keep, who will teleport you to Moonglade, and you then fly on the back of a dragon to Hyjal.

Don't worry too much about the trinkets right now. Good trinkets can be pretty hard to find. Hyjal quests will give you Mindfletcher Talisman, while Deepholm quests will give you Stonemother's Kiss, but both come relatively late in the quest line.

Ideally, you want leather with intellect. You are right, though, that cloth with intellect is generally better than leather with agility for a balance druid. Just keep an eye out for intellect leather from now on, and by the time you finish with Hyjal you should probably have a full set. Once you get a full leather set, you should only be looking for leather from then, since the stat increase from a single piece of cloth gear is usually not nearly enough to offset the 5% bonus intellect you get from wearing all leather.

Also, I don't recommend enchanting leveling gear. You change gear so quickly that gemming and enchanting is most likely a waste of gold.
Edited by Talashir on 4/26/2012 10:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Req
This may have been a smooth transition for people who had already maxed out their toons before the expansion

From Wrath of the Lich King to Cataclysm it was anything but smooth. The massive gear changes had even people in H 25 ICC T10 gear struggling to complete certain quests. The change in stats is so drastic that not even those of us who had maxed our toons well before the expansion dropped had trouble downing some mobs because of the health difference gave them considerably more health than we were used to on even some 80 elites.

TL;DR: Questing in Cata will go slowly at first, but it gets better as you go, and we've all been there.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
OK I went wild at the AH and bought mostly new gear, if I was that irritated then spending all of my savings didn't really matter.

I could not find even a decent leather belt and I didn't change out my hand gear (for now) until I find a belt.

I left my Trinkets alone because I was able to raise up my Gear level without giving up 50+ Intellect from my trinkets.

My new average gear level is high enough that it opened up my Lich King Random Dungeon finder again.

Thanks everybody for the input.
Reply Quote
64 Tauren Death Knight
04/26/2012 11:26 PMPosted by Justabella
OK I went wild at the AH and bought mostly new gear, if I was that irritated then spending all of my savings didn't really matter.

Not sure why you went to the AH and spent your gold.. especially when the clued in posters above gave all the info you'd need to keep your gold and still get gear (while making more gold)
04/26/2012 09:33 PMPosted by Justabella
who would want to waste a lot of gold to enchant an item with crappy stats anyway

Unless you're an avid pvp'er, there's no real reason to enchant gear below level cap.

04/26/2012 07:55 PMPosted by Justabella
I have the best gear I could get from Quests, random loots, Dungeons and the AH

If you're low on gold, step away from the AH.
There's no reason to go in there while you're leveling, unless you have masses of gold to blow on whatever takes your fancy.

04/26/2012 11:26 PMPosted by Justabella
I left my Trinkets alone because I was able to raise up my Gear level without giving up 50+ Intellect from my trinkets.

ToC has a nice trinket, with a 200 ilvl.
Tears of the Vanquished

There have been many MANY trinket upgrades you must have simply passed over, or not realised were an upgrade.
You still have a relic from Hellfire, and a trinket from Winterspring.
Both of these items should have been replaced many times over by the time you hit 80, especially if you're questing.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Mindfletcher Talisman Is a quest reward in Hyjal.
Severed Visionary Tentacle Is a quest reward in Vash'jir. The spellpower is worth way more than 50 int.
Pelagic Prism Same as above.

The trinkets you have are incredibly old and need to be replaced soon. Chances are you've passed over perfectly good replacements without realizing the stats were better than the 50 int you're getting from those two.

You'll also want to get Fine-Toothed Comb from Vash'jir quests or buy Manual of the Planes when you reach 81 because your relic is pretty out of date too.
Edited by Akosi on 4/27/2012 7:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
04/27/2012 06:59 AMPosted by Nobully

Not sure why you went to the AH and spent your gold.. especially when the clued in posters above gave all the info you'd need to keep your gold and still get gear (while making more
gold)

I was locked out of Dungeons without major gear upgrades.

1) Dungeons - main play (Locked Out), except picking just 1-2 specific dungeons which queue length is very long verses Randoms.
2) Questing - I do a lot of questing, but mainly just when I am bored with Dungeons or don't have time to wait in queues. I will quest quite a bit while I am leveling my Professions. But I was not not able to Quest very well in Vashj'ir because my gear sucked.
3)Battlegrounds (while leveling) - NEVER, I would quit first. I am not going to play Punching Bag for a bunch of over-steroided BoA players.
4) Lich King raids - never tried them because everybody says that nobody will do the lower level raids since the last expansion.

How else was I supposed to get better gear?

I think that I might have been OK if I started in Hyjal and not Vashj'ir, the whole 3 demensional Questing area of Vashj'ir to an Under-geared quester is very annoying and dangerous.
Reply Quote
64 Tauren Death Knight
04/27/2012 08:04 AMPosted by Justabella
How else was I supposed to get better gear?

The same way everyone else does... quest.

I do a lot of questing

..we can see your quest progress, and no, you've barely quested at all.
You've done half of Borean, then 8 quests in Dragonblight during your entire time in Northrend.
Nothing in Icecrown, nothing in Stormpeaks, nothing in any of the zones which would provide major gear upgrades for your level.

I was locked out of Dungeons without major gear upgrades.

..and as all the people above attempted to explain, an hour or so of questing in the Cata starter zones, would cause a massive jump in your item level, and cost you nothing.

Waiting around to win rolls on gear, will ultimately only lead to frustration.. and without questing, you'll end up in the same situation when you hit 85 and want to transition from regular instances to heroics.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
OK it is definitely better questing in Hyjal verses Vashj’ir for a slightly under-geared player. I am getting gear drops already that are much better, but the whole Leather verses Cloth is still irritating me.

Is this really better:
Chest (Leather)
- Armor 904
- Stamina 84
- Intellect 60
- Spirit 59 (+15 enchant)
- Level 171
Than this:
Chest (Cloth)
- Armor 1051
- Stamina 228
- Intellect 152
- Level 272
- Hit rating 84
- haste rating 111
And is this really better:
Feet (Leather)
- Armor 699
- Intellect 51
- Enchant +18 spirit
- Level 187
Than this:
Feet (Cloth)
- Armor 745
- Stamina 179
- Intellect 119
- Haste rating 119
- Level 278

Even if you factor in the 5% All Leather Bonus, it’s not even close by my calculations.
The overall net change by wearing the Cloth is:
Stamina +260
Intellect +96
Armor -192

Losing only 192 Armor (assuming the leather bonus applies to armor) to gain 260 Stamina and 96 Intellect seems like a No-brainer in favor of putting on the 2 cloth items listed above.

What am I missing here?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
04/27/2012 08:32 AMPosted by Nobully
The same way everyone else does... quest.

Did you miss the part where I was NOT able to Quest in Vashj'ir because I was too under-geared?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Armor and Stamina shouldn't be considered at all. And yes you are gaining +/- 36 more Int with your examples there. The problem is that you're comparing cata gear (level 278) to Wrath gear. (171-187). Of course the Cata gear is going to have a lot more stats on it, you need to find Leather gear of the same ilvl because it'll have the same amount of Int and you'll get the 5% bonus.

EDIT: It's really too bad that you're an Ally because I could get you some decent gear if you were Horde since we're both on Nordrassil.
Edited by Akosi on 4/27/2012 8:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]