Easiest Mage Spec

85 Human Warrior
My level 80 mage is not my main character and as such I do not have a lot of time to learn and perfect a complex rotation. Which mage specialization and talent spec has the easiest rotation for PVE instances and still achieves a decent DPS?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
easiest to pull decent dps.... arcane.hardest to pull optimal dps.... arcane.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Definitely go with Arcane for instances. Stuff dies too fast.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
04/27/2012 08:52 AMPosted by Jkspiritlink
easiest to pull decent dps.... arcane.hardest to pull optimal dps.... arcane.

This, pretty much. Arcane is the spec of Easy to Learn, Difficult to Master. It's entirely possible to be pulling 40-50k+ during a burn phase in a 5-man; the difficult part comes in knowing when, exactly, to engage that burn phase, as well as constantly trying to maintain a 90-95% mana pool when you're not burning. (85-90 if you get Power Torrent to proc).
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
04/27/2012 09:56 AMPosted by Digerati
Definitely go with Arcane for instances. Stuff dies too fast.
especially gnomes.you get my meanin' ?!<3
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
As the previous two posters have answered arcane is the easiest to pull very impressive dps in dungeon instances. Mobs will die very quickly so you really don’t have to concern yourself with a rotation (keep mage armor on).

As the first poster said it takes some practice to sustain your dps as arcane are heavy burst glass cannons. Any fight over 2 minutes we actually have to start thinking and planning, but even then the rotation and phases are fairly easy to follow.
Reply Quote
72 Goblin Mage
Arcane mages use a lot of mana though?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
04/27/2012 10:59 AMPosted by Maaxbemis
Arcane mages use a lot of mana though?

How do you mean?

During the burn phase, yeah, we're blowing every CD we have and spamming our most damaging and mana-intensive spell, Arcane Blast.

During the conserve phase, it's all about trying to keep your mana at ~90-95%, mainly so you don't waste a tick of Mage Armor if it ticks while you're at 100% mana.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Arcane is dead simple. Set up your spellbar correctly, and you'll easily pull good dps without too much fighting for it.
Edited by Trystyn on 4/27/2012 1:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
74 Orc Death Knight
I've been thinking of making a mage and levelling him to 85 purely for heroics and high end, end level everything. is arcane still viable then? or does fire start pulling ahead? I have no problems managing rotations or looking out for procs etc btw
Reply Quote
90 Orc Mage
Viable? Yes.
Optimal? No.

As soon as you have good enough gear to hit your caps, fire becomes best.
Reply Quote
Viable? Yes.
Optimal? No.

As soon as you have good enough gear to hit your caps, fire becomes best.

It really depends on the fight. I'd call Arcane the optimal spec for H Zon'Ozz and it definitely is the best on Spine.
Reply Quote
74 Orc Death Knight
yeah I'm quite wanting to get into min maxing and pulling off the best numbers possible. I think I'll go faceroll level with arcane and and duel spec as fire and pull that out once in a while till I max my gear and then get into fire full time.

what other classes are topping heroics and other high end game content?
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Mage
The easiest spec is also the best dps which is fire. You can do viable damage without doing arcane well. But pushing out that extra 10% or so is much harder then fire.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
What exactly is hard to master about arcane though?
Reply Quote
05/04/2012 12:33 PMPosted by Imapwnurface
What exactly is hard to master about arcane though?

Mastery.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Also when to do extra ab (more than 4)during your conserve phase.
Reply Quote
Everyone can pop every cd and spam blast.
The real skill in arcane is having most effective conserve phase possible.
Reply Quote
3 Undead Mage
fire and frost have a priority list (for a rotation) + proc management

arcane has a set rotation + proc management + mana management

it's also easier to screw up with arcane. poorly timed burn or evocate = bye. for fire u just need to make sure combustion helper is working.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]