I need an Audio Nerd. NOW.

90 Human Rogue
Okay... So here's my story. I am a headset addict. I cannot and will not venture out into the world of real speakers. I am and have been quite content with my Logitech Headset (http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/gaming/headsets/devices/wireless-gaming-headset-g930)
It's got surround sound, pretty powerful bass for any headset i've ever heard. But my problem is. When people come over, I'm tired of using my headset as a makeshift speaker set by putting the volume to max and taking it off my head. And I'm missing out on the joy of cranking my music when people are not home.

So, on thursday, I bought http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/devices/5861... A 2.1 speaker set... Perfect for what I want. Music, and every so often my games. After figuring out i could afford it, and had room. I awkwardly seat my legs on either side of the sub (in a desk/tight space)... Fire up my music... Now my music isn't your normal pop from the radio. I listen to a lot of electronic music. Drum n' Bass, dubstep, drumstep, hardstyle, you name it, but mostly drum n' bass. In these songs there are LOW basslines. I can't recall how low. But it is quite low. Now this is ALL audible on my headset, quite audible infact my headset shakes (hehe). But I can't help but notice during a song, there are specific parts that just literally dont sound /and or feel like they are there. The bassline will start on a high note and in this one song literally just drops out. I feel the subwoofer, it's still workin'. But i compare it to my headset and notice i can hear it fine. So after some reading. I find out that...

A: My sattelites are actually dual driver satellites. There's one on the back of each of them too... "360 sound" Is what Logitech calls it... I call it a waste since im in the corner of a room and im sitting in the corner of the room.

& B: Frequency response (I have no idea what this is and after google i still dont)
The speaker set's response is Frequency response: 35 Hz – 20 kHz ( from the website)... and in Winamp (my music program...) on the stats for the song it says 44kHz...

Look I have no idea what im talking about. Why is bass cutting out in my songs at certain parts... Do I return this set and save my money for a better set like http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/devices/7321 or return it for my money back and stick to my fancy ol' headset...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'm not much of an audio nerd, but I can help I think. Where is the sub placed? 44khz is the sample rate for the music and is not related to the freq response of the speakers. 44khz is very common for digital audio. The only thing I can think of is that the subwoofer isn't powerful enough to get that über low bass out to you, or you room is too big/ceiling is too high.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
04/28/2012 02:17 AMPosted by Aeana
I'm not much of an audio nerd, but I can help I think. Where is the sub placed? 44khz is the sample rate for the music and is not related to the freq response of the speakers. 44khz is very common for digital audio. The only thing I can think of is that the subwoofer isn't powerful enough to get that über low bass out to you, or you room is too big/ceiling is too high.

Well I figured this too... But that was until i put my hand on the subwoofer while it was playing. I would feel as one second its vibrating from the bassline and it hits a low note and only vibrates slightly from the bass in the other parts of the song... It's downfiring and its right at my feet. I should feel and hear it fine.
Edited by Kayyder on 4/28/2012 2:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Great... I just realised I don't even have the receipt... This 15 year old learned his lesson(s). Don't buy something over 100$ and not keep the receipt... Don't buy something over 100$ without researching it first... Don't buy something over 100$ on 5 hours sleep, not researching it first and not keeping the receipt... FML.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Well according to Best buy forums... I can return it without a receipt... Mainly because I payed by debit... Because I have all my packaging... And... It's kind of just the nice thing to do :(. PLZPZLZPLZPZL *Prays to the customer service gods.
Reply Quote
Return it. What's your budget? There are some better values out there then logitech...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
inc too much info from audio nerd
The speaker set's response is Frequency response: 35 Hz – 20 kHz ( from the website)... and in Winamp (my music program...) on the stats for the song it says 44kHz...
Yes different things, same units. (hertz is technically "cycles per second")
"Hz", for frequency response, is how high and low-pitched sounds the speakers will reproduce. The low-limit of human hearing is considered to be 20hz for most people, although this varies(and can get worse after years of ear-abuse). Below 100hz is considered "sub-bass", although the "beats" you want to hear or feel vary within that. The lower the sound is it becomes more "felt" and less "heard".

The 35hz roll-off frequency would not be bad if the speaker had a larger driver and more power. We run live shows with subs that roll-off around 40, but they are 18s and also getting tens of thousands of watts... Below some point they are just "moving air" rather than "making sound" that you can hear well - and if you listen to dnb, you like air movement :)
Subwoofer: 5.25-inch down-firing subwoofer with 5.5-inch pressure driver
21 watts (RMS) (into 6 ohms, @100Hz, @10% THD)
That sub looks like a single passive-radiator design. Passive-radiator speakers accomplish the same thing as a ported speaker, but usually have a steeper low frequency roll-off(frequency limits aren't immediate drop-offs, it's a slope). That's fine, but this type of design takes a lot more engineering and cost to make it work well... and thus is probably not great for an inexpensive system.
Just so you can compare the specs, here is a very high-performance(and really expensive) passive-radiator subwoofer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780074

Not that you need to spend $700 on a sub, but you certainly won't get a headphone-quality flat frequency response from a $100 complete system. Your stuff is not broken, it's working exactly as it's supposed to - you're just used to being spoiled by headphones that have a response range of 20 Hz – 20 kHz. I'd look for something with a ported (bass-reflex) sub having a wider response range, maybe more power.
The other one you posted is exactly that, but you may want to look around more.

Edit: as was said, the layout of all the speakers in the room is important, but that's kinda tough to get perfect without all sorts of silly meters.
Edited by Plusfour on 4/28/2012 9:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
04/28/2012 09:42 AMPosted by Plusfour
inc too much info from audio nerd
Yes different things, same units. (hertz is technically "cycles per second")
"Hz", for frequency response, is how high and low-pitched sounds the speakers will reproduce. The low-limit of human hearing is considered to be 20hz for most people, although this varies(and can get worse after years of ear-abuse). Below 100hz is considered "sub-bass", although the "beats" you want to hear or feel vary within that. The lower the sound is it becomes more "felt" and less "heard".

The 35hz roll-off frequency would not be bad if the speaker had a larger driver and more power. We run live shows with subs that roll-off around 40, but they are 18s and also getting tens of thousands of watts... Below some point they are just "moving air" rather than "making sound" that you can hear well - and if you listen to dnb, you like air movement :)
Subwoofer: 5.25-inch down-firing subwoofer with 5.5-inch pressure driver
21 watts (RMS) (into 6 ohms, @100Hz, @10% THD)
That sub looks like a single passive-radiator design. Passive-radiator speakers accomplish the same thing as a ported speaker, but usually have a steeper low frequency roll-off(frequency limits aren't immediate drop-offs, it's a slope). That's fine, but this type of design takes a lot more engineering and cost to make it work well... and thus is probably not great for an inexpensive system.
Just so you can compare the specs, here is a very high-performance(and really expensive) passive-radiator subwoofer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780074

Not that you need to spend $700 on a sub, but you certainly won't get a headphone-quality flat frequency response from a $100 complete system. Your stuff is not broken, it's working exactly as it's supposed to - you're just used to being spoiled by headphones that have a response range of 20 Hz – 20 kHz. I'd look for something with a ported (bass-reflex) sub having a wider response range, maybe more power.
The other one you posted is exactly that, but you may want to look around more.

Edit: as was said, the layout of all the speakers in the room is important, but that's kinda tough to get perfect without all sorts of silly meters.

I returned my set of speakers... And I threw down the extra 100$ for these http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/devices/7321

I am satisfied now. I can hear/feel the extremely low frequencies i didn't hear with the other. Especially since the power is 200W and not 35... THX Certified... And no 360 degree sound shinanagins. Only small thing I can complain about.. Theres no light on the volume knob.. Would be nice, sub is wider so my feet have even less room... And... the port for it is on the left... SO my leg feels vibrations. Not both...

Thanks for the reply. Plenty of good info.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
That aught to get it done. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]