Is Drain Life a dot?

1 Troll Warlock
I know the npc version of drain life can be dispelled (in sfk for example).

Does the player version of Drain Life count as a damage-over-time effect for purposes of things like Haunt's debuff?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Yes, but Shadow Bolt does more DPS.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Warlock
Everything I've read says Shadow Bolt is more damage and should be used as dps filler. That didn't make me any less curious.

Thank you for fixing what google couldn't answer.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
What if we put a drain life up right before a shadow bite? Would the result be desirable?
Reply Quote
04/30/2012 09:38 AMPosted by Biaxident
What if we put a drain life up right before a shadow bite? Would the result be desirable?

This was viable at the beginning of Cata, where Drain Life could actually be used as a filler. But Blizzard got upset that the warlock community was innovative. So they nerfed the spell into the ground. Even with a small increase in Shadow Bite damage, Shadowbolt spam is still the most effective damage spell.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
04/30/2012 09:59 AMPosted by Draggok

This was viable at the beginning of Cata, where Drain Life could actually be used as a filler. But Blizzard got upset that the warlock community was innovative. So they nerfed the spell into the ground. Even with a small increase in Shadow Bite damage, Shadowbolt spam is still the most effective damage spell.

k

ANOTHER THING! is it worth saving Shadowflame for Shadow Bite?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Its a 6 second dot vs a 6 second cooldown on shadowbite.

If you cast Shadowflame on CD you will buff shadowbite.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
This is something I have been wondering about but was too lazy to look up. I see a lot of afflic locks out in BG who drain life me... but I am at full health and they are close to full health as well. I wasn't quite sure what the benefits to this are, as it doesn't seem to do much, if any, damage.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock

Agreed. I was so angry with blizz on that one that i never really took interest in PvE again. Drain Life was a great affliction filler for very intelligent, functional reasons, and their only solution was to flat out break it. Not retool it, not change scaling, not make it cirumstantially better or worse, but to just break it and say NUH-UH U USE SHADOWBOLTZ.

Same with PvP Drain Mana.

And as for the op's question, yes drain life/soul counts as a dot. You can test felhunter's demon soul effects on it as well; it's what I normally do for pvp "burst" windows to help my team out with damage.
Edited by Hils on 4/30/2012 11:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/30/2012 11:16 AMPosted by Poirot
This is something I have been wondering about but was too lazy to look up. I see a lot of afflic locks out in BG who drain life me... but I am at full health and they are close to full health as well. I wasn't quite sure what the benefits to this are, as it doesn't seem to do much, if any, damage.

In PvP, most Affliction Warlocks aren't spec'd to have Shadowbolt in their rotation, giving up those talents for more survivability. Plus, it is better to get in a little damage instead of getting silenced 2/3 of the way through your 2.4 sec Shadowbolt.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Too, the change forcing shadow bolt onto us, of course, hurt scaling, leaving affliction's single target DPS rather poor in this, the final tier of raiding.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Drain Life (at lower levels, when you spec into Soul Siphon but before you can spec into Bane) does seem to do quite a chunk more damage than Shadow Bolt. If nothing else maybe cause you can get it off before the other dps kill the target.
Reply Quote
86 Goblin Priest
They removed the drain life function. Demanded you use shadowbolt. Then implemented a channeled filler in MoP =D trolololololol
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
05/01/2012 07:22 PMPosted by Kiyasu
They removed the drain life function. Demanded you use shadowbolt. Then implemented a channeled filler in MoP =D trolololololol

dude, seriously not funny man. I just came outta beta and i must say I am DISSAPOINTED with the drains that Afflliction has now. Up till now, our damage was tied with drain life in PVP, but with MG, it just makes it kinda confusing, cause you dots tick like super slow with drain life as compared to MG.

So, it;s a question of, will you use MG to kill your target before you get killed? Or do you wanna stretch this battle out with using drain life instead? With or without healer, it kinda sucks... sigh.
Reply Quote
75 Orc Death Knight
05/03/2012 12:47 AMPosted by Shadowcaster

dude, seriously not funny man. I just came outta beta and i must say I am DISSAPOINTED with the drains that Afflliction has now. Up till now, our damage was tied with drain life in PVP, but with MG, it just makes it kinda confusing, cause you dots tick like super slow with drain life as compared to MG.

So, it;s a question of, will you use MG to kill your target before you get killed? Or do you wanna stretch this battle out with using drain life instead? With or without healer, it kinda sucks... sigh.
Drain Life is in MoP. But it's now way better. Harvest of life. Pretty amazing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
The dumbest thing they did was nerf drain life. Nightfall just screams at a new player or a player that comes from a different mmo (just for the sake of experience) that drain life should be the filler and you should shadow bolt on proc.

Now the warlock communities fault for following blizzards talent and them changing the fel hunter to acutally use drain life, but it was too much like a shadow priest when the affliction tree states that its the master of dots and drains.

I really dont know what blizzard was thinking.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
Wasn't their reason for nerfing Drain Life was that the healing was wayyy overboard in PvE?

They could have just pulled a Colossal Smash and made it work differently in PvP and PvE.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
05/03/2012 08:04 AMPosted by Awkward
made it work differently in PvP and PvE

A potential solution to so many problems--and one which they stubbornly refuse to implement for various harebrained reasons.

Your dwarf looks awesomely deranged by the way.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Is it weird that my biggest disappointment with using sbolt over dl is that I find the purple/black orb uglier than the pretty green beam?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Wasn't their reason for nerfing Drain Life was that the healing was wayyy overboard in PvE?

They could have just pulled a Colossal Smash and made it work differently in PvP and PvE

That and the fact that they just didn't want it in PvE, for whatever reason. Though, nerfing the heal against PvE targets would be an inelegant solution and only serve to hurt our already convoluted leveling experience.

Casting spells is better than channeling them for PvE, anyway. Sure, Drain Life better fits "Affliction", but we hadn't really had identity problems until Cataclysm. With Shadowbolt, we don't have to deal with GCD issues, have far fewer latency issues, are better at keeping up SE stacks, apply S&F faster, and shoot laughing skulls out of our fists. I'm really not looking forward to watching for MG ticks and trying to adjust for latency to clip it after the second tick.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]