fire info

90 Blood Elf Mage
I recently decided to raid with fire spec to see if fire could get me more dps. I modelled my tree from the spec on noxxic.com and read up on their rotation, but my dps still seems to be crap for my gear. My rotation is scorch, keep living bomb up, pop fire orb when it's up, combustion when i have all dots up (currently using "combustion helper" addon - or something like that), pyroblast when hotstreak procs, and spamming fire ball all other times. Noxxic didn't mention using impact on single target, so i dunno whether or not to use that. So I'm looking for help on rotation, reforge, or any other relevant info to increase dps output. Thanks.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
First off, from what I've read, noxxic is filled with a ton of misinformation.

Secondly, after taking a quick glance at your stats, you have wayyyy too much haste. And also, way too little crit. I'd reforge as much of that haste as possible while still staying over 1505 haste rating into crit as with our t13 2p bonus you get the magic number of 2005 haste which gives our combustion an extra tick.

There is a great, very simple website, called wowreforge that you can use to keep your hit as close to 17%, haste rating as close to 1505, and maximize crit % by following its reforge advice.

Also, you have some crappy enchants that need to be replaced. Get power torrent on your weapon, +50 in on your bracers, and the epic +int leg enchant, for starters.
Edited by Kelseym on 5/2/2012 8:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
Pretty much what Kelseym said and I'll add a few more.

Make sure your stacks are up when using combuste and that you have a large ignite going. While all three dots are nice pyro isn't that big of a deal if you have a big ignite going, LB should always be up so that shouldn't be an issue.

You need to switch your meta gem to +crit and I would suggest switching your yellows to Potent Lava Corals or at least the +20 crit ones.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
OOB
I rarely use scorch. You want to use fireball most of the time. Gotta get those stacks up, and it does a lot more dps than scorch does. Scorch is only good if you have to move and don't have a hot streak or flame orb to cast.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
05/02/2012 09:59 AMPosted by Kelrox
I rarely use scorch. You want to use fireball most of the time. Gotta get those stacks up, and it does a lot more dps than scorch does. Scorch is only good if you have to move and don't have a hot streak or flame orb to cast.

So, forgive my ignorance but this is the 2nd post to refer to 'stacks' as in plural.

I lead with Pyroblast, Living Bomb, FlameOrb, Fireball until I get an ignite then Comustion....where can you get more than one application of a dot? can you have mutiple stacks of Ignite somehow?? Or are you guys referring Stacks to PB/LB/Ignite all ticking?
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Sendarion they are referencing mages tier 13 2 pc, where we gain stacks of 50 haste up to 10. Which, with the 4 pc, lower the cooldown of arcane power/combustion/icy veins.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
pretty sure they are refering to the stacks of stolen time from the 2-piece set bonus that increases haste by 50 and stacks 10 times
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
05/02/2012 09:59 AMPosted by Kelrox

So making sure critical mass is on the target isn't a big deal? That was about the only reason i've used scorch b/c hotstreak hasn't proc'd that much for me. And is using the impact proc worth the dps?
Edited by Angeluscaedo on 5/2/2012 2:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
05/02/2012 01:49 PMPosted by Hiroran
Sendarion they are referencing mages tier 13 2 pc, where we gain stacks of 50 haste up to 10. Which, with the 4 pc, lower the cooldown of arcane power/combustion/icy veins.

noted, thanks!
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
@ Angeluscaedo
No, keeping critical mass is a very big deal (that's an extra 5% crit) - but both scorch and pyroblast place (or renew it) the critical mass debuff on the target. So, after you place your initial CM with scorch then everytime you proc pyro! it will renew CM. If you're getting decent pyro! procs that alone should keep CM up on the target. However, as we all know, sometimes you'll not get a pyro! proc before the CM debuff falls of so in that case you need to cast scorch again.

Do note that if you are running with a warlock they have an equivelant to CM that bumps ours off the target and replaces it with theirs. I don't recall what it is called but if you have a warlock in your party and your CM keeps falling off that's what is happening. Don't worry about keeping CM on the target in that case as you'll benefit from their equivelant.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Mage
05/02/2012 08:29 AMPosted by Angeluscaedo
I recently decided to raid with fire spec to see if fire could get me more dps

This may or may not be your issue, don't look at dps your main meter is damage done. If you are trying to compare to arcane then most likely you have seen yourself do high dps off the bat but, if similar to a lot of arcane mages I come across, low damage. Also there is a difference between using combustion and proper use of combustion. The first could give you for example 300k damage to your target while the latter will yield 400k, you may need to play with combustion helper to light up when ignite is at a certain value.

One more thing to note, if you are comparing your self to the rest of your raid team and they out gear you then forget it, you won't be catching them dps wise. Compare yourself with members of similar gear level.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]