MoP Pet Battle System is Complete Overkill?

Gonna have to agree with the OP. Pet battles are such a focal point of MoP that this will be the first time that I will simply wait until after release to see exactly what's happening with the game without going in headfirst unknowingly. Love the game, but things like this really have to make you wonder.

I would have killed for a little variety to something that was already implemented. More raids, more options for LFR, more options for transmogrification (cloth -> leather, anyone?), more battlegrounds that don't follow the AB/WSG formula, something other than grinding dailies for rep and tokens, you know, sky's the limit, and half the work is already done. Instead it just seems like we're getting a variation of something that already exists in a better form elsewhere.

A "focal point"? Pet battles have basically always been mentioned as a secondary activitity and just recently got onto the beta servers.

More options for transmogrification? You mean like the entire sets they have put into the challenge mode instances for the specific purpose of transmogrification? Why should you be able to transmog cloth--> leather? That's never been how the system works. It's not the games fault that they aren't anticipating your silly requests.
87 Orc Hunter
Pet battles put me over the fence of quitting and staying in wow.'

I'm gonna be the very best!
79 Human Warlock
They made kung fu panda and added pokemon.

Thing's aren't looking good...

A "focal point"? Pet battles have basically always been mentioned as a secondary activitity and just recently got onto the beta servers.

More options for transmogrification? You mean like the entire sets they have put into the challenge mode instances for the specific purpose of transmogrification? Why should you be able to transmog cloth--> leather? That's never been how the system works. It's not the games fault that they aren't anticipating your silly requests.

Focal point is also known as a selling point, my dwarven friend. For example, let's take a look at the main page for the next World of Warcraft expansion, Mists of Pandaria.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mists-of-pandaria/
Second bullet point. Pet battle system. Seems kind of glaringly obvious now, doesn't it?

Pet battles have never been how the system was initially intended either, but it's getting revamped, isn't it? Why can't transmogrification now? Doesn't seem like a silly request when there are multiple threads requesting something similar on a near daily basis on these very forums.

Second bullet point. Under the new race, new class, and new talent system icons. So this "focal point' gets 5th billing at best.

Pet battles are being introduced as part of the game as exactly that, you can't comprare them to transmog in that vein. And asking to transmog between armor types is silly, you lose any sort of distinction between classes when you have a priest running around in a set that looks like plate.
85 Draenei Shaman
i kinda find it ironic that blizzard sues valve cause dota is supposedly tied in with wc3 but they're cool with ripping Pokemon for there game and don't see anything wrong with it
90 Pandaren Shaman
04/26/2012 12:27 AMPosted by Dntgnkme
I don't like PvP so clearly blizzard should stop wasting development time on it because I don't like it.
You probably also don't like the fact that two factions are at war with each other.
He was really just making a point. I don't think he was being as narrow-minded as you; suggesting that they actually remove PvP. Leave it to a low level troll to completely miss the point of a post. Also, plenty of people are probably fine with the factions being at war with each other from a lore standpoint, but just don't like actually participating in PvP from a gameplay standpoint.

On topic, isn't it always you low level trolls who complain that this game is too easy and you have nothing to do? Now Blizzard is adding additional content to occupy your time, and you are complaining? There really is no satisfying you trolls is there?
90 Orc Hunter
considering the simplicity of this feature and that it re utilizes many things already in the game without much that is really new i dont see this feature as a waste of time, specially when it looks so much fun to pass the time =]

i will love to have one more fun thing to do in game when im bored. who doesnt like pokemon battles? lol
90 Worgen Death Knight
I cannot wait to see Deathy smack down on a Sprite.
90 Troll Druid
I for one am excited for pet battles. Too bad it's not your cup of tea. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean anyone else will.
04/26/2012 06:28 AMPosted by Bigbluè
i kinda find it ironic that blizzard sues valve cause dota is supposedly tied in with wc3 but they're cool with ripping Pokemon for there game and don't see anything wrong with it

DotA is something that's specifically been tied with WC3, so it would make sense they'd bring in the legal team for the use of the name DotA 2. They never had any issues with HoN, LoL or the other DotA clones/knockoffs because they didn't use the name.

Pet Battles are a way to collect, capture and battle pets. There is no mention of Nintendo, nor have they copied any UI or anything other than the same rough idea, much like Digimon, Monster Hunter, Dinosaur King (yes, that's actually a think. Thanks 4Kids!) Yugioh Capsule Monsters (Man, 4Kids really must have been devistated after losing the Pokemon rights. Wonder if that's all related) and so on.
Edited by Milkros on 4/26/2012 6:57 AM PDT
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock
04/26/2012 06:55 AMPosted by Milkros

DotA is something that's specifically been tied with WC3, so it would make sense they'd bring in the legal team for the use of the name DotA 2. They never had any issues with HoN, LoL or the other DotA clones/knockoffs because they didn't use the name.

Pet Battles are a way to collect, capture and battle pets. There is no mention of Nintendo, nor have they copied any UI or anything other than the same rough idea, much like Digimon, Monster Hunter, Dinosaur King (yes, that's actually a think. Thanks 4Kids!) Yugioh Capsule Monsters (Man, 4Kids really must have been devistated after losing the Pokemon rights. Wonder if that's all related) and so on.

Also Monster Rancher.

:3
90 Human Priest
No I am looking forward to pet battles
85 Undead Warlock
Wooooo! All the babies are going to quit and go back to first person shooters!
85 Night Elf Druid
04/26/2012 06:28 AMPosted by Bigbluè

Blizzard was fine with Valve making DOTA2. It's when Valve tried to make "DOTA" a trademark (so that only they could use the name) that Blizzard sued them.
Edited by Catnip on 4/26/2012 7:14 AM PDT
85 Draenei Shaman
Actually I am all for and totally looking forward to trying the pet battle system. Is it a lot like pokemon? Hell yeah! Do I care? No! Why? Because I grew up playing pokemon and I admit to loving those games.

Im sorry if playing a part of the game that is a lot like pokemon hurts your huge male adult pride. Suck it up. (not saying you are male, or even an adult. It's just a saying, to make a point, that will probably not even make it through your head.)
90 Draenei Shaman
They are stupid and will be a great way to recognize stupid people.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]