MoP Pet Battle System is Complete Overkill?

27 Gnome Rogue
04/26/2012 12:27 AMPosted by Dntgnkme
I don't like PvP so clearly blizzard should stop wasting development time on it because I don't like it.
You probably also don't like the fact that two factions are at war with each other.

People that miss sarcasm are so entertaining. Let's develop it more.
85 Draenei Shaman
After reading more posts here, it seems a few people are stuck on the developmental time spent on this.

The fact of the matter is there are many departments that work on different parts of the game. It's not just one small group of people. Blizzard is a huge company. Be realistic.

Not to mention that no one knows what else they are CURRENTLY working on. They could be working on realm mergers, or LFR loot, or some other major aspect of the game that people think needs to be addressed. We DO NOT know what else they are working on while one team is working on pet battles.

So go ahead. Assume all you want that pet battles is the only thing they are focusing on. Whatever makes you happy inside.

Edited due to lack of typing abilities today >.>
Edited by Lectricity on 4/26/2012 11:09 AM PDT
85 Tauren Warrior
04/26/2012 12:34 AMPosted by Àndrew
probably 1000 hours of development for this

Are you sure?

Source.
I dont think you want to see the source where these numbers are comming from.
85 Draenei Death Knight
this expansion does have a whole April fools day thing going with it, it's either time for a break from wow, or this expansion has really killed my love for this game.
90 Human Paladin
Yet another Elite gamer trying to tell game developers how to develop their game. GG, you win for "Dead Horse Thread of the Day"
84 Worgen Druid
Blizzard Quote:
"Adding development time on something new/else means that the scheduled content is either delayed or just won't ever make it in. "

Development time priorities going to the right place?

Except that pet battles are scheduled content; they've been announced. Blizzard has been developing things long enough to know how to work in the features that they want to and to know which ones to leave for a metapatch.

Keep making useful suggestions involving reasonable changes and find supporters for those changes: it's more likely for things to go the way you want when you do that, then by being totally reactionary in attitude to the features they've already decided to make.
Edited by Padfoottonks on 4/26/2012 12:05 PM PDT
04/26/2012 12:30 PMPosted by Luxxinterior
Even with a development team as large as ours there is a finite number of resources

how about i just quote this line?

If they are looking for a time killer why not add more pvp and pve content.
Why do they need a time killer in the first place?
Whats wrong with adding more dungeons and pvp maps? if people are getting bored with wow they should go play something else, this game was made for pve and pvp, not side games that they say some people want cause everyone is currently sitting in cities doing nothing but chatting in trade.

Everyone is done with Cata content, which means there was not enuff content to keep the majority busy. Their priorities seem to be keeping and maybe adding more roll-players. while everyone else has or will be dropping this game.

Shocking revalation, different players like to play different ways. Pokemon is an extremely popular franchise. If WoW can capture that feel on even a somewhat smaller scale it could give players something new and fun to do, and even bring in some new subscribers.
90 Night Elf Druid
04/26/2012 12:30 PMPosted by Luxxinterior
Even with a development team as large as ours there is a finite number of resources

how about i just quote this line?

If they are looking for a time killer why not add more pvp and pve content.
Why do they need a time killer in the first place?
Whats wrong with adding more dungeons and pvp maps? if people are getting bored with wow they should go play something else, this game was made for pve and pvp, not side games that they say some people want cause everyone is currently sitting in cities doing nothing but chatting in trade.

Everyone is done with Cata content, which means there was not enuff content to keep the majority busy. Their priorities seem to be keeping and maybe adding more roll-players. while everyone else has or will be dropping this game.

Except that the game has been evolving. Raids aren't just for the most hardcore elites, PvP isn't just spending hours and hours in AV for the honor grind.

There are new instances and BGs coming in MoP. There's also new quests, achievements, and dailies. Plus, there's new features like scenarios, challenge modes, pet battles, and farming.

Just because YOU aren't interested in a feature and think it's a waste doesn't mean that the other ~ 10 million people who play WoW do.

PS - Have you checked out how many pet collectors there are?
84 Worgen Druid
Don't pet battles have both a PVE and a PVP aspect? As I understood it (I haven't read a whole lot into it, just the gist) you fight wild monsters to obtain them, and fight other players critters to compete. I just think that sounds like fun. Another dungeon is... another dungeon. Another PVP map is just more PVP. I'm sure they will be added eventually, because they are much of what WoW is about, you're correct.

And it isn't as though nothing else is happening. In the xpac that introduces pet battles, we're getting a new class, a new race, new zones, and yes, new features. It is the perfect time to release a pet battle system. This is something new to do. New things aren't bad: that's why we have a lot of the PVP features that we do in the first place. And if we can do something new and play WoW at the same time, that's great!

Also, I'm unsure about your reference to role-players, I don't see how that fits in with this feature. Was that a more general comment on the trend they seem to be taking? I haven't noticed it myself. WoW has always been story-driven [citation needed, I admit], I think, so role-players are a natural side-effect.

Edit: I write too slowly.
Edit2: and incorrectly.
Edited by Padfoottonks on 4/26/2012 12:54 PM PDT
15 Tauren Paladin
1000 man hours into a project is nothing. Given a team of 5 people that's about a month's work... in terms of product development, if they actually did only spend 1000 hours on something that will be as widely used as Pet Battles, then this would be a major win for Blizz.

My only concern is that it is so shamelessly a rip-off of Pokemon, I hope Nintendo doesn't file any grievances against Blizz.
86 Dwarf Hunter
04/26/2012 12:18 AMPosted by Dntgnkme
It would be great if you polled us with a simple question like this: "Should we spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on this silly vanity idea?" before taking the initiative to do it. Please do that next time, I guarantee my soul the results will shock you. ;)

I'll bet you would have lost your soul.

04/26/2012 12:34 AMPosted by Àndrew
probably 1000 hours of development for this

Are you sure?

Source.

That's about 6 man months. That's not too far outside the realm of possibility.
90 Night Elf Hunter
OP,
You have no idea how much time Blizzard devoted to developing the pet battle system. Even if they did commit a big block of time to it, there's nothing wrong with giving players something fun to do besides raiding or otherwise grinding for gear over and over and over. I think this system will be very popular and I'm very much interested in seeing how it works and using it.
15 Tauren Paladin
04/26/2012 12:18 AMPosted by Dntgnkme
It would be great if you polled us with a simple question like this: "Should we spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on this silly vanity idea?" before taking the initiative to do it. Please do that next time, I guarantee my soul the results will shock you. ;)

Not that I think it would actually cost that much in terms of development budget to do, even if it cost 5x what you're assuming, the sale of one new vanity pet in the Blizzard pet shop would cover the development costs of 10 to 20 such projects.

Pets are a big deal that take minimal development time and generate huge profits. Create a new arena for pets in the game and it's like printing money.
10 Gnome Priest
1000 man hours into a project is nothing. Given a team of 5 people that's about a month's work... in terms of product development, if they actually did only spend 1000 hours on something that will be as widely used as Pet Battles, then this would be a major win for Blizz.

My only concern is that it is so shamelessly a rip-off of Pokemon, I hope Nintendo doesn't file any grievances against Blizz.

You can copyright Pokémon, but you can't copyright the idea of catching monsters and battling them.

Also, Nintendo doesn't own Pokémon franchise.
15 Tauren Paladin

You can copyright Pokémon, but you can't copyright the idea of catching monsters and battling them.

Also, Nintendo doesn't own Pokémon franchise.

Pokémon (ポケモン Pokemon?, pronunciation: /ˈpoʊkeɪmɒn/ POH-kay-mon[1][2]) is a media franchise published and owned by Japanese video game company Nintendo and created by Satoshi Tajiri in 1996.
90 Night Elf Druid
figures its posted by a lvl 1 fake horde toon so we cant see the trashy toon he plays with. if u dont want to play pokemon, u dont haveto, im not, because no one cares? i dont think this pokemon system is going to catch wind to the mass of the players focused on playing their charectors, just chill :)
85 Worgen Druid
People complained they wanted a wider variety of things to do at level cap.

Blizzard is developing a wider variety of things to do at level at cap (only one of which is Pet Battles).

The resources going to Pet Battles aren't coming from the raid/arenas/bg development. They're coming from the "make new !@#$" development. So if it wasn't Pet Battles it would be some other mini game time sink that you probably wouldn't enjoy. They're still making all the stuff they have been making since Vanilla, but they're making other stuff too, so calm down. If you don't like Pet Battles then suggest a type of mini game thing you would enjoy.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]