Removal of "School of Hard Knocks" Achieve

90 Troll Priest
You don't need to bring a friend, you just have to have an IQ above 100.

You don't sit in the first tower in AV, you instead be smart and run to the 3 rd and 4 th towers. That's call thinking.

In AB, you run to LM.

In EOT you face north and spam the button at the spawn point. Took me 6 attempts to realise theirs a better way to do it.

In WSG you move into poistion on the right of the flag carrier, ready to capture the flag.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
Maj join eots!!

Maj grab flag!!

Maj hold flag!!!

Maj hold flag all eots!!

Maj like qq !!
Edited by Majarka on 5/1/2012 2:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Not remove, but change would be nice. Its a pain!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
05/01/2012 12:33 AMPosted by Neryssa
I hate Arenas with a burning passion, and yet I want Arena Master and Gladiator titles, can you please nerf those so I don't have to do Arenas for them, Blizzard?

These are strictly PvP achievements and I would never expect Blizzard to nerf these. But all of the holiday achievements are more of a PvE area. In my opinion, and I know it's shared by others, there isn't any place for PvP in PvE achievements and vice versa.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
Maj join eots!!

Maj grab flag!!

Maj hold flag!!!

Maj hold flag all eots!!

Maj like qq !!

Entire map abandom Maj!!

Entire Alliance swarm and beat Maj into dirt!!

Entire map /cheer /laugh /spit on Maj!!

Maj left to fend for himself rest of map!!

Nothing of value lost!!
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
WTF GUYS

I'm 8/8HM with a 409 ilevel and you expect me to know my class for some optional PVP achievements?!?!

GEAR=SKILL

If you are going to troll, don't suck at it.

You apparently read nothing I said. I earned this achievement 5/2009, this expansion and all of my current gear wasn't even out yet. It must be painful to be so bad.

READING=HARD
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
I met someone today who has been trying for 6 years to get it.

Wat
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
I think there should be an Achievement for AFK'ing in the cave with your orphan out...
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
04/30/2012 06:56 PMPosted by Cayse
I don't understand why strictly pvp players would want the proto drake anyway... you can't use the mount or the speed in bg's or arena anyway.

World pvp.

...people still engage in that? I thought Arena put a bullet in World PvP's skull back in BC.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Just think when you get your mount .. you will be soooooo happy

took me 3+ years to get the dress from an egg , i opened literaly 1000's

You realize, of course, you don't need to FIND the dress to get the meta, that's just a freebie achievement. Yes, you need a dress to do one of the meta achievements but you can BUY it with the eggs. If you happen to find one as well, that's just a bonus
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
The school of hard knocks achiv is A painful miserable achiv that brings pvp and pve players too tears.
Blizz You are the best out of any Rpg I have ever playd.
But for once you have disappointed me, These Events are for the fun of it, for pve and pvp alike. But put those 2 in with a Mad achiv just makes a Bg screwed up. you get folk that grab a flag all over powered and jumping around being a Bully along with his buds, you get them gathering at the graveyards with the flag killing folk as they rez, Its a mad house Pve and pvp should not be in the same Bgs. and the fact that healers want this stupid achiv is even worse. you have ruind my year of achiv collecting for a mount and i am quite unhappy.
ether remove it from the game or put it aside from the Achivs needed for title. I Love your game Blizz but if you must make Us suffer for a mer achiv i think you caN do better.
I will surely still play it but i hope by Mop that this will change and make it less stressful for both sides of the gear folk.
Edited by Ghiin on 5/1/2012 9:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
94 Gnome Mage
I managed it last year, but I hate PVP so it sure as heck wasn't easy. No Horde cooperation in my battlegroup, and active griefing from most of my teammates (who kept reporting me as afk while I was running around with my orphan out trying to accomplish tasks and contribute to the BG).

The only easy one was Arathi Basin; I had been in there a few times for the Winter Veil achievement and capping the flags there really isn't a huge challenge. It just requires paying attention. So that one only took one try.

Eye of the Storm took I think 3 tries, and that was the only time there was any cooperation. I had actually been defending a base (imagine that!) and a paladin who had retrieved the flag came to the base, finally took pity on me when I begged and he dropped the flag and let me cap it since no Horde were around. Thanks, guy.

Alterac Valley was a nightmare. I see it took me 7 tries. I probably could have got it faster, but there was some kind of bug where as soon as I got close to a tower, my orphan would despawn and I couldn't get her back since I was permanently "in combat" even if I wasn't. Maddening. I thought that I wouldn't be able to get the achieve due to this bug, but finally I tried not summoning the orphan until after I killed everyone in the last tower and then she finally showed up and I was able to cap. Sheesh. If you're going to have a difficult achievement like this Blizzard, at least don't make it buggy.

Warsong Gulch was the absolute worst, with the most griefing from my "teammates." It took 13 tries before I finally was able to chase down a flag carrier with none of my "teammates" around and kill him and grab the flag. I've never been back in either of these last two BGs since. It was awful.

All told, it took me 3 days of playing every minute I wasn't at work to get this done, and finally managed it close to midnight on Tuesday. But oh, what a sweet, sweet feeling of achievement when that "School of Hard Knocks" finally showed up. It's still the biggest rush I've ever gotten from the game.

But if I can do it, anyone can.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Dead issue.

This is posted before, during and after the event. It is posted every year.

It is posted several times during the year.

Blizzard knows people hate this.

Blizzard knows that users, like myself, have ONLY this event to complete the meta and get the mount; I've ONLY had this event left, for like 3 years (or since that thing was put in, basically.)

That is the definition of a "dead issue;" It has already been beat to death, on the forums, for years.

Repeat suggestions, especially of known dead issues, does not constitute "voting." Agreeing, in a thread, does not constitute "voting." There is no forum "voting." Repeat lip service, of a dead issue, doesn't make it more likely to happen. If it did, we'd have got an extra character slot 7 years ago (instead of getting one with mop.)

---------------

One non dead issue element, that I wonder about (from a blue)

When shared achievements happen, that is to say when all your characters on that account show the achievement (but another character would have "Kybeorie" under it, if they had not got it themselves):

I wonder if I did "school of hard knocks" ONLY on my dk, who has NO other achievements, if then the meta and mount would count/get received for both characters? My DK actually does PVP. This character(kybeorie) has all the other stuff for the meta, except school of hard knocks. Or I wonder if metas with pet/mount rewards would still require a particular character to complete them all, with only that character receiving the reward?
Edited by Kybeorie on 5/2/2012 9:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Tonight, at long last I finished it. I started this in 2009 and had only WG last year and this year. I only got EOTS and AV because of some kind, helpful hordie. Tonight it was pure luck that I got WG. Horde had a bad team with no healer and too many warlocks. I was in the right spot at the right time and clicked the flag right when the FC went down. There was no skill involved and there was nothing that got me through this other than pure unadulterated LUCK.

I so agree with all who say this one achieve is out of sinc with the other achieves. I don't know what Blizz's thinking is but clearly they are dug in and won't budge.

I know first hand that this is a miserable achievement that comes as close as anything to ruining the entire game for many, many people. I will never, ever do this achievement on any future alt; I won't subject myself to this misery ever again!

For all you who say that achievements are optional I ask why then are they included in our monthly fee? And why do raid groups insist on looking at your achieves before taking you in their raid group? And why do some guilds have a minimum achieve level in order to join?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior

For all you who say that achievements are optional I ask why then are they included in our monthly fee? And why do raid groups insist on looking at your achieves before taking you in their raid group? And why do some guilds have a minimum achieve level in order to join?

Are you seriously comparing checking pugs for raids to a completely optional meta achievement for a completely optional reward?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
I managed it last year, but I hate PVP so it sure as heck wasn't easy. No Horde cooperation in my battlegroup, and active griefing from most of my teammates (who kept reporting me as afk while I was running around with my orphan out trying to accomplish tasks and contribute to the BG).

The only easy one was Arathi Basin; I had been in there a few times for the Winter Veil achievement and capping the flags there really isn't a huge challenge. It just requires paying attention. So that one only took one try.

Eye of the Storm took I think 3 tries, and that was the only time there was any cooperation. I had actually been defending a base (imagine that!) and a paladin who had retrieved the flag came to the base, finally took pity on me when I begged and he dropped the flag and let me cap it since no Horde were around. Thanks, guy.

Alterac Valley was a nightmare. I see it took me 7 tries. I probably could have got it faster, but there was some kind of bug where as soon as I got close to a tower, my orphan would despawn and I couldn't get her back since I was permanently "in combat" even if I wasn't. Maddening. I thought that I wouldn't be able to get the achieve due to this bug, but finally I tried not summoning the orphan until after I killed everyone in the last tower and then she finally showed up and I was able to cap. Sheesh. If you're going to have a difficult achievement like this Blizzard, at least don't make it buggy.

Warsong Gulch was the absolute worst, with the most griefing from my "teammates." It took 13 tries before I finally was able to chase down a flag carrier with none of my "teammates" around and kill him and grab the flag. I've never been back in either of these last two BGs since. It was awful.

All told, it took me 3 days of playing every minute I wasn't at work to get this done, and finally managed it close to midnight on Tuesday. But oh, what a sweet, sweet feeling of achievement when that "School of Hard Knocks" finally showed up. It's still the biggest rush I've ever gotten from the game.

But if I can do it, anyone can.

Jesus, well I think that did it for me. I'm not getting this achievement. I'm really lucky if I have two hours to play three days a week, and I just spent my two hours today trying to do this achievement. I was trying for the Eye of the Storm part and didn't even get close after two hours. There are a lot of arguments out there to make this achievement not a meta one, but I find the most compelling is that it's so time consuming yet only has an open window of one week to complete. How many weeks is Hallow's End? Winter Veil? And how complex and time consuming are their achievements, comparatively?

The arguments of being "forced" to do this achievement are pretty much irrelevant, because there's nothing about achievements that are required. I understand that. From my perspective, the argument that PvPers dislike it just as much as PvEers because of all the PvP noobs swarming the battlegrounds is also somewhat shaky because I'm yet to see any of them annoyed or frustrated with this achievement to such a level they've come to the forums to present their case against it.

What I do know is that PvEers just hate that it is part of the meta like me. It wouldn't surprise me if PvPers hated it, but I'm doubtful that it's to the same extent if at all. It does greatly destabilize battlegrounds with inexperienced and just bad PvPers and incite competition among your own teammates to complete the achievement, making the entire achievement's most likely intended purpose (to promote PvP or incentivize people to at least try it) non-existant and counter-productive. It only increases frustration and deepens stereotypes and distaste for different play styles and players. Most of all, I just don't think one week is long enough for such a complex achievement for most busy adults. Sure, some may get lucky from time to time, or others may have a more experienced PvP friend do it for them, but the rest of us are just out of luck. These are the reasonable arguments I've thus far heard to remove this achievement from the meta.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
Tonight, at long last I finished it. I started this in 2009 and had only WG last year and this year. I only got EOTS and AV because of some kind, helpful hordie. Tonight it was pure luck that I got WG. Horde had a bad team with no healer and too many warlocks. I was in the right spot at the right time and clicked the flag right when the FC went down. There was no skill involved and there was nothing that got me through this other than pure unadulterated LUCK.

I so agree with all who say this one achieve is out of sinc with the other achieves. I don't know what Blizz's thinking is but clearly they are dug in and won't budge.

I know first hand that this is a miserable achievement that comes as close as anything to ruining the entire game for many, many people. I will never, ever do this achievement on any future alt; I won't subject myself to this misery ever again!

While I do agree with you on the overall issue...

Why then are achievements included in our monthly fee? What?
Why do raid groups insist on looking at your achieves before taking you in their raid group? You don't have to raid. Raiding is optional to play the game
And why do some guilds have a minimum achieve level in order to join? You don't have to be in a guild. Guilds are optional to play the game. Plus that's probably the dumbest idea I've ever heard for guild recruitment. I can understand gear and possibly specific achievements, but achievement level?

I want to see the meta-achievement altered just as much as anyone else, but making false arguments is really only hurting our case both in how we present it to Blizzard and by attracting more haters that oppose us. There's plenty of other, much more logical reasons why it should be removed from the meta, and I would encourage everyone to stick with them.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
This achive makes everyone miserable. PvPers hate it because 'chive hounds mess up their game, and chievers hate it because if you are not a regular PvPer, you are outclassed in both skill and gear by those who are.

A better way of doing this would be to require a victory in the 4 BG's with your orphan in tow, that way the chievers would be working WITH rather than against the PvPers, and non PvP players would get a better taste of PvP play, and who knows, they might actually come back when the holiday is over if they get a taste of victory rather than enduring one of the most insufferable grinds of the game. It would still require work, would be worthy of the Meta, and would be much better game play.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]