Which Trinket to use?

86 Tauren Paladin
Hello,

I had a question about trinkets. I have been using Veil of Lies and Fire of the Deep . Last night I won Resolve of Undying I know I am going to want to continue using Fire of the Deep, but between the other two, which should I use? Also, in the future when/if I win something like Indomitable Pride or Soulshifter Vortex would I use one of these instead of what I already have?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Edited by Drathen on 4/29/2012 7:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Hi Drathen,

You'd want to use Veil of Lies along with Fire of the Deep.

If you win Indomitable replace Veil of Lies with that.

If you can CTC cap with both stamina trinkets, use Indomitable along with Soulshifter Vortex.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Soulshifter is quiet bad for a paladin that's CTC capped, unless you just want the stamina, the proc is completely wasted. Go for Pride with FotD once you can get a Pride. If you absolutely have to have the stamina you can use SS.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
I'd argue the soulshifter is actually bad for paladins as when it procs at ctc cap, you gain unneeded block over dodge or parry. I use it some times and feel dirty when I do but alas idp eludes my grasp.

I'm also not a fan of resolve, but I know other tanks use it, ymmv. I'd say grind the mirror as it is great for almost every fight in ds and use whatever trinket you have that has the most stam on it provided you are still at ctc cap.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
The LFR version of Soulshifter barely has any more stam than the Veil of Lies, and the proc is useless (compared to the dodge proc on Veil, which isn't stellar but at least is useful) so I wouldn't say it's an upgrade. I use the normal version just by virtue of stamina though.

Resolve is pretty weak. Unreforgable, has a ramp-up time, provides a stat that isn't really that great for Dragon Soul, etc.

Indomitable Pride has an extremely nice proc, I would use any version of it. In fact, the MT of my guild used the LFR version of IDP over the heroic version of SSV because the proc was so nice that it was worth losing all the stamina. That is, IF you can get it to drop. :-P

Fire of the Deep is great. Lots of Mastery, and a decent on-use for physical damage. I love it.

Personally I would use a stam trinket + FotD until you run out of gems to replace with stam (which won't happen until you're at a very, very high gear level) then you may want to consider running dual stam trinkets or something.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Trinkets really depend on the fight

Typically, Indomitable Pride and Fire of the Deep are the way to go

Soulshifter vortex is/can be decent for maybe DKs/Ferals, but not Paladins....

Resolve will add some extra ctc, and the ramp up is rather quick, but there isn't a great need for it on many of the fights in DS, perhaps Blackhorn

It is a good idea to carry around a Stay of Execution, and Mirror of Unbroken Images

If you can't ctc cap for some reason without a reliable stam trinket ( Veil/Indom) you should use the Resolve, but in general, you want a stam trinket + FotD
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Morchok: IDP + Spidersilk Spindle (FotD if you don't have it)
Zon'ozz: IDP + MoBI (SpSp or SSV if you don't have it)
Yor'sahj: IDP + MoBI (SSV if you don't have it)
Hagara: IDP + SSV (Scales of Life if you don't have it, or any stam trinket)
Ultraxion: IDP + SSV (If your heals don't completely suck, throw in DPS trinkets)
Blackhorn: IDP + SSV (More for heroic. Otherwise, FotD or SpSp is good enough)
Spine: IDP + RoU (Avoiding bloods is more important than blocking; stay CTC'ed though!)
Madness: IDP + SoE (Don't have Stay? Use SSV then. Double stam's the next best bet)
Edited by Kaitelynn on 4/29/2012 10:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
The trinkets are situational.

Soulshifter Vortex is better for a Druid or DK than for a paladin... by lightyears.Indomitable Pride is very useful if you don't need 2 trinket slots with mastery to Cap Block+avoidance+boss.miss...
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
RoU is the corpse tongue coin of cata....only you cant reforge it for a good stat like you could the CTC.

About the only time you should use SSV is if you dont have a better stamina trinket or you are after more stamina and have no other better to increase it.

So FotD+VoL for now, FotD+IDP later.

You might want to trade out FotD for Mirror on yor and zon, spindle on morchock, Stay of execution on madness.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If you win SSV, offer it to your co-tank if it's a Druid or DK. If not, then offer it to any Druid or DK in your raid with a tanking spec.

Some people don't like Resolve, but I love it. It's great for CTC, so long as you keep the buff up (not difficult). But I only have FotD and Veil, so I haven't gotten to use MoBI or IDP or SoE.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
04/29/2012 05:06 PMPosted by Esteemed
If you win SSV, offer it to your co-tank if it's a Druid or DK. If not, then offer it to any Druid or DK in your raid with a tanking spec.

Why?

If you're talking about the LFR Soulshifter Vortex versus Veil of Lies, then I could see using Veil since you're just losing half a gem's worth of Stam (not a big deal, even if the random dodge proc isn't that stellar).

If you're talking about normal Soulshifter Vortex versus Veil of Lies, it's a little different. You really need to ask yourself, do I want an extra 2k-ish health to absorb burst damage and give my healers more breathing room (making their job easier), or do I want a random dodge proc that may or may not be up when I need it? Bear in mind that dodge by itself is unreliable - a random dodge proc that procs off of your autoattacks (and thus has a chance to proc when you're the inactive tank) is basically, to steal an internet meme, "Yo dawg I heard you liked RNG so we put some RNG in your RNG so you can rely on luck while you're relying on luck".

The whole SSV hatred is based on the assumption that Stamina by itself is bad. Once you're block capped, that's not really true. Having enough health to take a heavy beating helps your healers much more than a slightly higher chance to avoid melee damage.

That all being said, Indomitable Pride is absolutely incredible and you should use it if possible. It can be mythical for some raid groups though, such is the way of the random loot table.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/29/2012 05:28 PMPosted by Kangarooster
Resolve is terrible for CTC, outclassed by even MoBI on the normal difficulty.

Except for spine. Where actually avoiding a hit is better than taking even a blocked one.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
04/30/2012 12:38 AMPosted by Kaitelynn
Resolve is terrible for CTC, outclassed by even MoBI on the normal difficulty.

Except for spine. Where actually avoiding a hit is better than taking even a blocked one.

Could you explain for me please?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
As the number of mobs beating on you becomes larger and larger, avoidance becomes more and more dependable. So dependable that it can be approximated to be mitigation.

But that's only my guess. /shrug
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
As the number of mobs beating on you becomes larger and larger, avoidance becomes more and more dependable. So dependable that it can be approximated to be mitigation.

But that's only my guess. /shrug

More or less.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
ehh id just go with higer ilvl stuff since ds is becoming so trivial.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Hi Drathen,

You'd want to use Veil of Lies along with Fire of the Deep.

If you win Indomitable replace Veil of Lies with that.

If you can CTC cap with both stamina trinkets, use Indomitable along with Soulshifter Vortex.

lawl. You do know Veil of lies is a Pally BiS trinket, right? No? Well, consider this a second. A prot pally and a prot warrior can avoidance cap, a DK cannot. The pally/warrior should not rely on a proc to become avoidance capped, so stacking up Resolve of the Undying becomes a wasted slot, since it starts off with absolutely nothing the pally/warrior needs. Veil has this, and when it procs, it offsets the margin of the dodge% which doesn't change the fact that they are avoidance capped, but at rest, veil offers stamina, while resolve offers...nothing. By the same token, tho, Soulshifter vortex will also offer you nothing with the proc. You'll already be capped, your dodge% will not increase, nor will your parry, so Vortex is the opposite of Resolve, it offers Stamina to you...nothing else. You'll want to get Indominable Pride as your other trinket. It offers you stam and a shield proc.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I'd argue the soulshifter is actually bad for paladins as when it procs at ctc cap, you gain unneeded block over dodge or parry. I use it some times and feel dirty when I do but alas idp eludes my grasp.

I'm also not a fan of resolve, but I know other tanks use it, ymmv. I'd say grind the mirror as it is great for almost every fight in ds and use whatever trinket you have that has the most stam on it provided you are still at ctc cap.

For Death Knights and Bears, Undying Resolve isn't a bad trinket to have, because they will never avoidance cap. It offers up a crap load of dodge for them, which is good once the stacks build up. While it may not be the best thing to use as a DK, it is amazing for bears, esp. when paired up with the agi proc of the sister trinket.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
For Death Knights and Bears, Undying Resolve isn't a bad trinket to have, because they will never avoidance cap. It offers up a crap load of dodge for them, which is good once the stacks build up. While it may not be the best thing to use as a DK, it is amazing for bears, esp. when paired up with the agi proc of the sister trinket.

Please stop.

Resolve is a decent trinket that suffers from one major flaw; there's only one very niche situation where it's worth using. Every other situation has better trinkets for every class.

Veil of Lies is also nowhere near a "Pally BiS".

For what it's worth, to the people pointing out that Soulshifter Vortex doesn't help Paladins much, you're looking at the trinket from a flawed perspective. The proc is irrelevant. You will never get much out of any of the procs on any of the Stamina trinkets, and your only reason to use them is that you want Stamina. If you're using Veil, SSV gives you more Stamina, so on any fight where you want to actually use a Stamina trinket, SSV is giving you more of what you're gearing for on that fight. Having a dodge proc on Madness is completely immaterial if you're using a STamina trinket on the basis that you want Stamina to handle Impale/Tetanus.

Now obviously given a choice between Pride and SSV, Pride will give you something tiny so it's better. Unless you're looking at Heroic SSV vs Normal Pride, and you're back into the debate of "what is the purpose of the Stam trinket here again".
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]